Cut the Bullsh*t about playing guitar

Virgman

• Members

You got that right. I remember waiting for my lesson and hearing the kid in front of me trying to cop some scorching Eric Clapton licks. then the lesson ended and I realized that "Eric Clapton" was a 14 year old girl.....

Still, I think it odd that there is no one predominate method of teaching guitar. Not even a half dozen. In the nature of things you would think that teachers would start to coalesce around two or three proven methods.

I'm not so sure that learning early is that big of an advantage. I went to see Susan Tedeschi last night. She learned to play as an adult. As always, her show is a scorcher. I've seen her act 4 times now, and each time, she has improved as a guitarist. I'd say that now, to a casual observer, it would be impossible to know if she was a guitarist who learned to sing, or vice versa.

She's a Berklee trained singer, so basic musicianship is there, but perhaps more importantly, consistency and practice (and having Derek Trucks at hand for pointers now and again).

I don't know who she is, but I would think that in addition to consistency and practice, she has an extraordinary amount of talent. I would think the vast majority of people could not become very good guitarists starting out as adults. Since a major component of guitar playing is muscle memory, there's a tremendous advantage to starting young, since that muscle memory is acquired much, much easier at a young age.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man we must have had the same freaking teacher. What a rip that was. Dude didn't even listen to me play the stuff after he transcribed it. But he did have a real sweet mullet.

SB

I didnt mention it BUT, he also had a sweet mullet!:thu:

AAAAHHHHHH the good old days:facepalm:

• Members

What I'm getting at here is that there are often questions about a "quick fix" for playing guitar.

Well, it's unfortunate but there isn't an easy way. You have to put time in learning the instrument.

There have been so many spam threads here lately. Newbs get suckered into these offers.

Can you learn 3 chords in a month? Yes. Can you master the instrument in that time. No.

Don't feel there is something wrong with you if you aren't playing "Eruption" by week 2.

Eddie didn't become Eddie in two weeks of practice.

EddieVanHalen.jpg

• Members

I always kind of feel like a noob at guitar. I don't really know chords or scales and I'm completely self taught. I stagnated for a long time as a black metal guitarist before I discovered the black thrash genre and then I decided to teach myself how to play thrash.

Well it's been almost a year since then and I'm just now learning to use the correct muscle group while avoiding using the elbow to prevent tendonitis. I had to learn how to hold the pick differently. I tried out so many different picks trying to figure out what I liked. I have to use sharp picks and gorilla snot to really feel comfortable at the speeds that I play and to make the notes more easy to hear. Then I have some black metal power chord stuff that is a lot harder with sharp picks. I do feel that I am finally at a point where I am playing the proper way though.

• Members

yeah if you've played guitar for a year/two years you know there is no 'short cut' secret zen path to becoming a master.

It's all about playing something, capturing a specific sound, a certain feel.
From cheesy yet intriguing lounge jazz licks to head banging crunchy power chords.

The best thing you can do is play along to a diverse set of music you really enjoy. Through trial and error of the ears, you'll cop the song and work your ear training up and you'll "know" what notes should be played where and when.

That's all Hendrix was. He is so great because he didn't care about the particulars of guitar, he just wanted to capture the sounds in his mind's eye into rock. And he did that successfully on some famous occasions (Machine Gun, Star Spangled Banner, etc)

With a musical instrument, it's exactly like living... Life. You're a student. For life. The learning never stops.

• Members

Sorry to bring you newbies to the real world.

It takes a lot of time to learn the guitar. Many hours of practice.

Years.

Learn your chords, scales, licks, arpeggios.

Practice what you need to play the songs you really like.

Enjoy the process. Don't turn it into work.

I totally agree.

That being said you guys should check out my guitar learning site... My method is soooo great you don't even have to pick up the guitar. THAT's RIGHT, by simply viewing the Guitar Lessons at GKN you will instantly become as good as Yngwie, Satch and Vai rolled into one.

Not only will you gain the awesome power of my scientifically tested system but if you act now I'll throw in the all the knowledge and abilities of Andr

• Members

That's all Hendrix was. He is so great because he didn't care about the particulars of guitar, he just wanted to capture the sounds in his mind's eye into rock. And he did that successfully on some famous occasions (Machine Gun, Star Spangled Banner, etc)

With a musical instrument, it's exactly like living... Life. You're a student. For life. The learning never stops.

I like that.

• Members
I don't know who she is, but I would think that in addition to consistency and practice, she has an extraordinary amount of talent. I would think the vast majority of people could not become
very
good guitarists starting out as adults. Since a major component of guitar playing is muscle memory, there's a tremendous advantage to starting young, since that muscle memory is acquired much, much easier at a young age.

All I know is that I bought my first (and only) guitar in '98 when I was 21 and now 11 years later I can play like Stevie Ray Vaughan, but with my own style- not copying him. Since Clapton hated going on stage after SRV because he was so good I guess that means I am better than Clapton (that's a JOKE people)!

Just in the last several months I've gotten to a point where I can now easily figure out Alex Lifeson solos (Rush). I had given up on his stuff and thought I would never be able to do it, but after this many years my fingers just know where to find the notes I hear.
However, Eric Johnson's playing remains impossible for me.

I played saxaphone in school from the age of 11 to 17 and was extremely frustrated that I could not play by ear- only from sheet music so I decided to never take guitar lessons. After I already knew how to play lead guitar well I did take two years of college music theory in 2004, but that has almost no bearing on my lead playing... it is really useful for chord theory/playing/songwriting though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not posting to say I'm amazing because there are many thousands of people who can play better than me, BUT they have been playing for AT LEAST 3 years. I believe that is how long Johnny Lang had been playing when his first album came out in '97, but who knows if he could play a chord at that time? It does take 3 years to learn to play lead guitar at a "passable" level without a teacher.

All I can tell you is that if you are starting at age 21 you don't need to be depressed about how you will never be a good guitar player.
I am just one of many many thousands who have spent the TIME to get here. It's not impressive. It's just time well spent. :thu:

You can do it. The only restrictions are those you choose to put upon yourself. Except that some people just are tone deaf... which you could work around by never bending I suppose?

So that's what I think about the age thing.

I do wonder if I had started at a younger age would I be able to play like Eric Johnson? Or did he take a lot of time and effort to apply theory to what he was doing (regardless of age)? I think it is probably the latter.

Don't let age stop you.

Since I am self taught and bought a guitar to learn solos I didn't even learn chords (besides power chords) until over a year or two after I got my guitar (1999+) because I was busy trying to figure out lead playing.

Also, learning a bunch of random chords was overwhelming to me so instead I learned the basic four major chord shapes (A/B, C/D, E/F, G) and then learned what each of the fretted notes was in the chord (root, 3rd, 5th). Knowing that you are fretting the 3rd, you can drop that down on fret to flat the 3rd and play a minor and so on.
I found this much less overwhelming. I found that there aren't that many chord books that tell you what each note is in the chord because they usually tell you instead what finger to fret it with. "Progressive Guitar Chords" by Gary Turner and Brenton White is the one I was able to find like that (at Barnes & Noble years ago). It has a nice little music theory section in the back too.

Also buy "Fretboard Logic Special Edition" by Bill Edwards. I think its only $14 on amazon now.

As for scales... I never knew any of them because I learned by ear, but if I slow WAY down I can analyze how I already play to discover that I'm playing minor scales usually. Knowing theory is great because I can apply it to what I'm already doing by ear if I get in a rut and want to get out. But I didn't know any theory for many years of lead playing. And I never use theory to learn the pro's solos. By ear is a million times faster at this point.

That's my experience from 11 years of learning.

hopefully it helps someone somehow...

... just another average guitarist who's played for 11 years...

• Members

Whats misleading is the idea that you will someday feel like you ARN'T a noob on the guitar. I remember first starting the guitar and seeing just how hard the path would be, that was several years ago. Now I'm in a regularly gigging bar band and I am ruteenly appaluded for my playing, but inside I still feel the same way about my playing as I did on day one, I just know more songs now. I think if you ever reach a point where you feel like you just KNOW how to do it, then somthing is wrong.

i still have a lot to learn, but i know i know a lot.

• Members
"A big part of this is that the more you play and the more you learn the more you realize how much there is to learn."

So true. I've been playing for about 20 years now (with one of those regrettable "10 year" layoffs prior to about three years ago). Over the past couple of years, my ear and playing has finally reached a point where I no longer waste any time looking for tabs of songs I want to learn. I can sit down and figure out (not play fluently of course, but figure out) the average rock tune lead parts and all in usually no more than about 20 minutes by ear. I take great pleasure in listening closely and trying to figure out the little "things" that make a given riff or lead line sound special whether it be the position a chord is played at or a subtle little bend up to a note instead of a slide or whatever. BUT, I still have no real confidence in my playing. I still can't go into a guitar store and sit down and blow anyone away. I've learned dozens of songs over the past few years and played in a couple of bands, but when I sit down in a shop to try a guitar out I often can't even think of a song to play.
:(
It's bizarre. Its getting slowly better but man, it's a long road.

Went out a couple weeks ago and saw a local band at a pub. The band was comprised of a group of local music scene "cats" - guys who own folk record shops and studios around town and so forth. They were my age or older (42) and quite frankly, they killed. I mean were talking awesome chops, vocal harmonies, and that sense you get from some players that they could comfortably sit in with anyone and sound good. Now I know I
shouldn't
be comparing myself to these guys becuase they've all been playing in bands for decades and have just way more experience than a weekend warrior like me, but it's tough not to get down on yrself when you see a local band like that that's just on such a different level.

Then, occasionally I'll remember that there was a time when just fingering a basic barre chord was an impossibility for me. Even back a few years ago when I first got back into playing, the whole notion of being a "lead" player was something I'd never have contemplated for myself. So progress has certainly been made over the years. I really regret the years I wasted not playing...

I wonder if Richard Thompson ever feels discouraged or thinks twice about referring to himself as a "guitarist."
:)

Did I write this post?:confused:
It's spooky how much you sound like myself and my situation. Spooky, man.
And now I'm in a band where I'm supposedly the "lead" guitarist. Kind of blows my mind if I think about it too much. I need to practice.

• Members

Sorry to bring you newbies to the real world.

It takes a lot of time to learn the guitar. Many hours of practice.

Years.

Learn your chords, scales, licks, arpeggios.

Practice what you need to play the songs you really like.

Enjoy the process. Don't turn it into work.

Of course you are speaking the truth, but I think that you are overstating the problem by not acknowledging the difference between the player who wants to be a "pro" and the dude who wants to figure out some cool sounding thing he can play to impress the ladies when he picks up a guitar at a party (or whatever non-serious purpose).

When I first tried to learn the guitar as a kid, I was told to learn the basic open chords. It was boring and I sucked at it. I figured if I sucked that bad at fingering those chords, then maybe I just wasn't suited for playing the guitar, so I gave up. Later on in life, I tried again, but this time, I ignored the open chords and just focused on 5ths. It didn't take long before I could "rock" - it didn't matter that I had no timing or feel - I could make that {censored}ing powerchord sound that makes your balls swell up and I LIKED IT! This success made me want to learn more. I only wish someone had told that 13 year old kid who felt like a loser who would never be able to play: "psst - {censored} learning that {censored} for now - here's how to play in Drop D - bar the first two strings and move it around while you hit the strings." I would have been "rocking" in days and would have fallen in love then instead of much later in life.

• Moderators

Of course you are speaking the truth, but I think that you are overstating the problem by not acknowledging the difference between the player who wants to be a "pro" and the dude who wants to figure out some cool sounding thing he can play to impress the ladies when he picks up a guitar at a party (or whatever non-serious purpose).

The "Guitar Hero" defense!

This is the kind of logic that has lead to all the "Learn and Master the Guitar in 15 minutes" rip-offs. Some of us think the world of guitar involves more than the need for some 15 yo to get laid.

If your only interest is in impressing the teeney-boppers, then by all means re-tune the guitar and learn just enough to feed your hormonal urges. Just don't call yourself a guitarist. Playing a couple of simple guitar parts is not the same thing as knowing how to play the guitar. . . and it's a far cry from being a musician.

cheers,

• Members

If your only interest is in impressing the teeney-boppers, then by all means re-tune the guitar and learn just enough to feed your hormonal urges. Just don't call yourself a guitarist. Playing a couple of simple guitar parts is not the same thing as knowing how to play the guitar. . . and it's a far cry from being a musician.

You are totally correct, but I have the sense that you'd prefer it if the only people who played the guitar were "real" musicians. Like wouldn't it be great if the only way to make cool sounding noises out of a guitar required 5 years of playing scales everyday till your fingers bleed and while you're at it get the {censored} off my lawn you damn kids!!!

For the record, I am 40 and married, so playing the guitar every night makes it less likely that I will get laid, but I do it anyway. Because even though I am not a "musician," and don't know scales and many chords, I have managed to write music that I like and that I like to play. I have no real aspirations of becoming a "pro," but one day, I'll manage to record some of the stuff I've written (and lucky me: I have a lot of pro friends who will play the other parts for me). Do I think that will make me a "musician?" Not really, but the more I enjoy playing, the more motivated I am to learn new things.

And I really have to say that the world is ripe for a better mode of instruction than the old standards. Sure, the best thing for anyone is to have a good in-person teacher, but good ones are hard to find, spendy and require a regularity of schedule that is not very compatible with having a serious career. My method of reading the "Guitarist Handbook" over and over and still not getting some of the concepts (I am a pretty smart guy, but for some reason, theory eludes me) has been frustrating, so I am on the lookout for a better way (for me) to learn. Do I think that there is some easy solution where I can just "download code" and instantly know it? Of course not - I have enough experience in life to know that anything worth doing well takes sweat equity.

As I search for and evaluate different methods, I would hope that I could come to a place (here?) where there are people experienced who can help me separate the gimmicks from the solutions with potential. Is this the right place?

• Members

As I search for and evaluate different methods, I would hope that I could come to a place (here?) where there are people experienced who can help me separate the gimmicks from the solutions with potential. Is this the right place?

This is a good place.

Be prepared for some straight answers though as you try to separate the gimmicks from the solutions.

We hear the same questions all the time so sometimes we are smart asses.

You first have to decide what kind of music you want to learn how to play.

If it's hard rock or metal that is cool. You should concentrate on learning the techniques you need to play it.

Find an artist or band you really like. Get a tab of one of their songs and learn it bar by bar. Learn the rhythm part and the solo parts.

If you wanted to learn an AC-DC song you could learn Malcolm's part and then Angus' part for example.

This will take quite awhile of course. Patience Yago, patience. Learn it well. Get it up to speed. Try to learn a bar or two per day. Repetition. Over and over. Day after day. There is no substitute for it.

A software program like GuitarPro is most excellent for this. I recommend getting it. You can then get tabs for thousands of songs on the web.

You can read some music theory along the way. Theory is all well and good but you need to hammer the techniques into your fingers and brain.

There are so many specialty areas in guitar you should pick one and concentrate on it.

It's my personal opinion but I wouldn't spend time doing 1-2-3-4 exercises. You'll get all you need learning the song.

• Moderators

Here's the problem, as a student you may not have the perspective to accurate assess one method from another. And as far as this being the right place, ask your self what this place is. The lesson Loft for better or worse is effectively the same as every other music theory related discussion forum. This is not an oligarchy where only the most experienced or most highly trained have a vote. Instead this and every other discussion board are democratic is nature. Every member has a right to voice their opinion. Some will see this as a strength other may see it as a weakness. I just see it as the way things are.

I don't look to discussions boards for the kind of insight that you describe, because the very democratic nature of opinions precludes the premise that a consensus built on experience and expertise is anywhere to be found.

So if you want opinions, we've got a million of them. But for answers you have to search within yourself and have the strength of character to follow your convictions and see where they lead you. I prefer to focus my methods based on the opinions of a select few. There are millions of "wrong" ways to approach anything, but only a few "right" ways. How will you assess which of the minority opinions to follow?

cheers,

• Members

Lionslicer

Jed is a good, knowledgeable and very helpful guy - I dont think anyone is ripping on people learning guitar and saying "you arent a musician so dont call yourself one" literally. The problem with guitar is that unlike other instruments there is a sub culture of morons attached to it. There are TONS of guys come on here full of attitude and bull{censored}. They are in it for reasons not related to music. It is annoying for those of us who have great reverence for the craft of learning the instrument.

These types usually are full of attitude and WORSE opinions and advice. They say things like "hang the guitar where it looks good" and "play louder" and typically insinuate that those of us who study the instrument cant play because "Hendrix couldnt read". These types usually derail many a good learning thread and scare people off cause it turns it into a fight now riddled with stupid ill-informed posts.

Its not personal - just after some time makes some of us who hang here for the learning and info sharing sensitive.

• Members

You are totally correct, but I have the sense that you'd prefer it if the only people who played the guitar were "real" musicians. Like wouldn't it be great if the only way to make cool sounding noises out of a guitar required 5 years of playing scales everyday till your fingers bleed and while you're at it get the {censored} off my lawn you damn kids!!!

For the record, I am 40 and married, so playing the guitar every night makes it less likely that I will get laid, but I do it anyway. Because even though I am not a "musician," and don't know scales and many chords, I have managed to write music that I like and that I like to play. I have no real aspirations of becoming a "pro," but one day, I'll manage to record some of the stuff I've written (and lucky me: I have a lot of pro friends who will play the other parts for me). Do I think that will make me a "musician?" Not really, but the more I enjoy playing, the more motivated I am to learn new things.

And I really have to say that the world is ripe for a better mode of instruction than the old standards. Sure, the best thing for anyone is to have a good in-person teacher, but good ones are hard to find, spendy and require a regularity of schedule that is not very compatible with having a serious career. My method of reading the "Guitarist Handbook" over and over and still not getting some of the concepts (I am a pretty smart guy, but for some reason, theory eludes me) has been frustrating, so I am on the lookout for a better way (for me) to learn. Do I think that there is some easy solution where I can just "download code" and instantly know it? Of course not - I have enough experience in life to know that anything worth doing well takes sweat equity.

I think the thread's original intent was a response to a many threads where kids are asking for the keys to the kingdom. There is a certain feel to those conversations where the kids feel like "if you know it, why don't you just tell me?" Meanwhile the more frequent posters get frustrated by answering the same questions.

I don't think the tone of this thread was meant for someone like you. You sound very clear about your commitment to guitar and it's place in your life.

For me, there is no shame in admitting you're an amateur musician because that statement only peels away a single layer. My guess is that you're a working professional with a successful home life and a lot of personal obligations. You get a lot of enjoyment from playing guitar and want to improve. But you also temper your time management because it's clear you can't spend the time you'd like on it because your life just isn't that simple.

If you're that guy, you're probably like many others here (many of whom read, but don't post).

As a professional guitarist, I spend many more hours practicing because I have to (and I choose to).

I see myself as similar to a plumber. Plumbers get hundreds of calls to fix leaky sinks. 95% of the time, the fix is something they learned to do on their first day of training, and they charge wayyy too much money for such a simple task. The other 5% of the jobs they do involve the kind of expertise that only years of experience will get them. No home depot solutions here. For those jobs, they'll charge the same money because the customer pays for the expertise.

If you pay me to play guitar for you and I agree to do it, I don't ask how easy or how hard it is, or how much time I have to prepare. If I said yes, it means I'll be ready to give you what you need when you need it (with a guarantee). My practice routines are designed to get me to a place where I can play almost anything on cue.

Don't forget "amateur" comes from the word "amore." An amateur guitarist plays because they love it. I'm definitely one of those. You probably are too.

• Members

Jed is a good, knowledgeable and very helpful guy - I dont think anyone is ripping on people learning guitar and saying "you arent a musician so dont call yourself one" literally. The problem with guitar is that unlike other instruments there is a sub culture of morons attached to it. There are TONS of guys come on here full of attitude and bull{censored}. They are in it for reasons not related to music. It is annoying for those of us who have great reverence for the craft of learning the instrument.

These types usually are full of attitude and WORSE opinions and advice. They say things like "hang the guitar where it looks good" and "play louder" and typically insinuate that those of us who study the instrument cant play because "Hendrix couldnt read". These types usually derail many a good learning thread and scare people off cause it turns it into a fight now riddled with stupid ill-informed posts.

Its not personal - just after some time makes some of us who hang here for the learning and info sharing sensitive.

You can count on me to be the dude telling the kids "I might not know much theory, but I have figured out that lacking that knowledge severely limits me as a player"

• Moderators

One thing I am trying to determine here is will I get smacked down for asking (for example) some question about alternate tunings: "OMFG you newb - you're skipping ahead in the book - you haven't mastered chord changes in standard tuning and you want to learn about alternate tunings?!?!?"

No you won't get that kind of response here, at least there won't be any kind of collective response like that. Some of the regulars may choose not to respond because they don't really mess much with alternate tunings. Learning your way around one tuning is hard enough.

For me, I have realized that the creation of "new" music is what turns me on the most, but at the same time, I realize that anything I create is bounded by my limited knowledge of theory. I find myself learning a song and, instead of playing that song along with the music to really learn it, I end up using anything that learning the song taught me and making my own thing out of it. That part might hurt my learning efficiency, but it is the thing that that is guaranteed to have me finish my play session with a glow.

Theory knowledge is a weird thing. Sure some will use new theory knowledge to generate some "music by the numbers", but I don't think that's how most people use it. Mostly theory knowledge is used to facilitate finding the sounds and paths that we hear in our heads and for a more general understanding of what music is and how it's structured. For example I was messing around with some blues in G this afternoon and I heard a climbing harmonic line over bar #6 strictly in my head, moving from C7 to G7. Because of the theory I do know, I found the line the first time I tried to play it.

The point is that the theory didn't write the line, neither did I, I just heard it in my head. But I could find it quickly because my theory studies have taught me where to look. A lack of theory skills won't hold you back if you've got a great ear and an adventurous spirit. I don't have a wealth of "natural talent", I have to work to improve, so knowing a bunch of theory helps me be more efficient in my efforts. YMMV

Cheers and welcome to the Lesson Loft!

Jed

• Members

1st thing that needs to happen is kids need to stop with tabs!

take a bunch of {censored}ty songs that EVERYONE knows - happy birthday, marry had a little lamb, star spangled banner - things you know in your brain. play them by ear all over the guitar, starting on different strings and different fingerings to get comfortable with intervals and whatnot.

play by ear! the first thng you transbrie with take a week or a month, but it gets easier and is so much better for developing musicianship. your ears play the guitar, not some {censored}ing numbers on 6 lines

Archived