Hammond B3 chords for guitar book

• Members

Is there a book of Jimmy Smith type chords for guitar? I have a book with a few pages on comping but I'm slow on the uptake and need more detail.

The best recorded example I've heard is Los Lobos "That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" - the Kiko CD.

Tight chords with 9ths and 13ths seem to work. I'm keeping effects simple - a rotory pedal and maybe comp and volume pedals. I heard the rotosphere with two amps - Jimmy Thackery - very impressive - best leslie sound I've heard.

• Members

I don't know of a book. However try seeking out a copy of Guitar Player October 2001. There is an article in it written by Andy Ellis called "Organisms". I know it is a very old issue so go to Truefire.com. They should have the article with a audio example for sale cheap. Some really tasty licks in it.

Also on a similar note I have seen but not read a book from Alfred titled "Organ Trio Blues" However I believe it deals with the role of the guitar in an organ trio setting and not organ licks for guitar.

http://www.alfred.com/alfredweb/front/ProductDetail.aspx?itemnum=%20%20%20%20%200758B&pubnum=0

• Members

I think the best thing would be for you to really just get some Jimmy Smith IDEAS in your head.. also, Larry Young, Big John Patton, Stevie Winwood, etc. There are alot of great B3 players out there worth checking out.. Medeski, too, of course... I think the thing you are missing out on is that they use relatively simple chords that you are familiar with in NEW WAYS... I will give you a great lick to practice... Takea blues scale on the high E string... say in the Key of A.... so you have the 5th fret, 8th, 10th, 11th,

12th, etc. If you build a Dm open chord shape from each of them, meaning, if the 5th fret is your top note, it would be 5th on the high E, 7th on the B and 6th on the G.... Familiar shape, right??? Now you will play a bluesy organ-like lick with it that is essentially a constant structure melody... You will play that shape starting on the 11th fret and go, 11,10,8,10,10,8 (all the notes I am typing represent the chord SHAPE I was mentioning erlier.. you slide the entire shape...) and then resolve to an A note on the 5th fret with whatever chord quality you like... I think you will find this is a revelation... it sounds so good and so unguitaristic in a sense that you will begin to see the concept behind many organists and horn sections' mystique....

Good luck.

www.myspace.com/dannyhayounakaprofessorparkinson

• Members

Is there a book of Jimmy Smith type chords for guitar? I have a book with a few pages on comping but I'm slow on the uptake and need more detail.

The best recorded example I've heard is Los Lobos "That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" - the Kiko CD.

Tight chords with 9ths and 13ths seem to work. I'm keeping effects simple - a rotory pedal and maybe comp and volume pedals. I heard the rotosphere with two amps - Jimmy Thackery - very impressive - best leslie sound I've heard.

Check this out:

http://books.google.lu/books?id=Qwcy7CsoS2wC&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=Andy+Ellis+Organisms&source=bl&ots=0PYRh8SUou&sig=CuAgv64I39FllFQa2BAZbMNKu7c&hl=en&ei=MiCESpGbKIXt-AbI0sSRAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=Andy%20Ellis%20Organisms&f=false

Guthrie Govan also had a two-part thing in the Guitar Techniques, one on the comping and another on the soloing.

The real master is Charlie Hunter, but I think he might change his sound according his latest interviews. The earlier albums are essentials.

For real Jimmy Smith style, you (we) should keep in mind the range of his instrument. So drop-2, -3 chords on the first 4 strings up to more or less 8-10 frets. Charlie Parker lines

I also tried the HOG-POG world, but honestly the upper frequencies are clashing so badly in a digital way, I got more convenient results not using them. It was quite close but still not there. I guess the HCEF guys hate me already whenever the issue comes up.

• Members

Also on a similar note I have seen but not read a book from Alfred titled "Organ Trio Blues" However I believe it deals with the role of the guitar in an organ trio setting and not organ licks for guitar.

I have that one, and you're right about the context.

• Members

Yeah, Charlie is the reason (obviously) that I bought my 8 string... and yeah.. the thing with Charlie is that his philosophy is getting 2 or 3 note chords over the bass note to sound hip and organ-esque... This means alot of fourth voicings (a la Larry Young) funky trills and triads and constant structure stuff... Of course, there is alot more to it than that, but in a nutshell, all you need is the SOUND to get the VIBE and then you will play the right thing because it SOUNDS and FEELS right...

Amazing how much a sound inspires the notes that you end up choosing...

• Members

Yeah, well, not a typical 7.. it's basically an 8 string without the highest guitar string.. so still seperate outputs.. still 3 bass strings.. just 4 guitar strings now though...

Yeah, I know. We are talking about Charlie Hunter, right? I thought everyone knew that his 7-string wasn't a typical 7-string. Even his 8-string wasn't a typical 8-string. Nothing typical about CH at all.

He started on 7, then went to 8, and now he's back to 7, right?

• Members

Yeah.. well, his first 7 was 2 bass strings 5 guitar.. then went to 3 bass strings, 5 guitar... then to 3 bass, 4 guitar...

In my experience not too many people know about Charlie Hunter... Even guitarists... He is, to me, a great great inspiration.. really took the whole Joe Pass/Tuck Andress/Martin Taylor thing to a new level..

I do that sort of stuff too, though much better on the 6 string than the 8 at this point....

;)

Stackabones, if you wanna hear ME playing MY 8-string (plus all the other instruments on the track) you can check out my myspace page.

www.myspace.com/dannyhayounakaprofessorparkinson

The tune "Paradigm" is with my playing the 8 (so the bass and comping are simultaneous...)

Archived