This Is How I Do It by John McLaughlin on sale $99

girevik

• Members

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17686&cat=276&page=1

This is a 3-DVD set that once sold for $180. Dunno how long it will stay at $99.

I just ordered mine, of course. Not because I want to play like him, or because I think he'll magically turn me into an badass improvising shredder. Nah, I ordered it because it's John Freaking McLaughlin and have always wanted to see and hear what he has to say about making music.

• Members

you can pirate it off demonoid or whatnot for free. i'm not suggesting you do anything illegal, though.

i'm still working on the first part of the first cd.

I saw the torrents too, but chose to pay for a physically packaged product since it was on sale.

• Members

Haha, Vinayakram makes the same flicking-the-tounge sound our tabla teacher used to do whenever he wanted to get on a student for some thing: "John! Play haaaaarder! Ranjit! I can't hear you! Play haaadah! ".

I picked up this DVD when the 4th Dimension Band came to town (great show, btw). But I packed it away when I moved into my house and haven't found it yet.

One comment I read in another forum:

I own both "Gateway to Rhythm" and "...Takadimi this", and would say that they're both worth having. That is to say, they don't overlap each other too much. "... Takadimi this" goes more into advanced Konokol territory (the "reductions" are an essential part of Konokol, that doesn't get any explicit coverage in GTR), so it's a nice supplement. I found GTR most instructive, but they really should have made a little booklet to go with it. If enough people e-mail Abstract Logix about it, perhaps...

Here's the Amazon link to the book You Can Ta Ka Di Mi This!

• Members

Thanks for the heads up girevik! Just ordered my copy. I have been wanting that for ages now but the price tag always prevented it happening.

Cant wait to dig into his teachings. Been a large fan for a long time. Simply put - he and his whole trip is straight up awesome! (nice English there)

: )

• Members

I've been thinking about getting that. Is it worth $100? what all does he teach? I want to learn more about improvising and I'm kinda between this and Ted Greene's single note soloing.

Of course it's worth $100. John McLaughlin is fantastic.

But whether it's worth getting depends on your own personal goals.

For me I have enough to do already and would not have the time to get into it.

• Members

This is what gennation had to say about it (hope he doesn't mind my pasting his post from another forum):

John does NOT show you how to physically play like he does. IOW, he doesn't really talk technique (how I hold the pick, alternating picking, etc...)

But he shows you literally EVERYTHING he plays.
The first chapter starts out taking things most serious guitarist know, the scales of the Major scale, or modes. But he shows you how to think of them in Intervals instead of the note after note patterns that many others play.

That's where the intro ends for most guitarist. Because
after that he starts showing "John Mclaughlin" stuff. The Triads chapter shows some great exercises, then has you doing them over So What!

It just escalates from there.
By the end of the first DVD he's shown you A LOT of stuff. Useful stuff. Then there two more DVD's!!! It's a journey through his 90's era, a Mahavishnu vamp, some Shakti material, and much much more.

The lessons are laid out great.
You get a lesson, he shows you and Easy demo of the material, then an Advanced demo over the same tune

Then he stands in a room with a large screen projector, and he talks through analyzing whats going on with the Advanced Demo. He'll stop the music pointing out this section and that section. Very detailed. And as with any lesson he always incorporates all the previous material in each Demo.

So, a lesson is taught, an Easy demo is played, an Advanced demo is played,
then John analyzes the Advanced demo in detail

To play like John would be short comings for most people, but his concepts of theory are the thing that will stick to you forever. GREAT teaching! That's what the DVD's are all about.

The drawbacks to the DVD are...

During the analyzing of the Advanced Demo, the audio he's/you're listening to is recorded through the microphone that he's talking through. So, at times it isn't the greatest. But you do have the actual Advanced Demo to listen to by going back to it.

The other one is there no book persay, or complete persentation of the notation. It's all on screen. As this thread mentions there is tab and notation available, but it's incomplete for sure and has mistakes he and there pertaining to where John is actually playing the parts.

And, if you don't read notation you might have an issue. What's on screen is ALL notation, no tab. And, the tabs are incomplete. So, you should know that if you are going to by it.

But, still...John presents it in a way where you are going to "get it". It'll just be hard to follow through the playing part of the program.

There's at least one video of the DVD's on youtube.com. He shows the Matindale Advanced Demo.

Also, guitarplayertv.com has clips from chapter one. But it's just the "here are the modes" part. It doesn't getting to showing you what he does with them..

But with all of those vids you'll get a good idea of the format everythings persented in. I equate it to a trumpet player getting a lesson from Miles, or a sax player from Coltrane. Plus you can watch it over and over.

Hope that helps.

Archived