Natural talent vs 10,000 hours

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a pretty compelling example of a painful reality - holy crap

I think that kid might be a savant.

I saw a kid once on the discovery channel on a program about savants, and he played piano like a god and he had like 6 years. His brain just happened to be connected in a different way that made music to him very natural.

Although the kid (and I think the kid in the vid does also) train very hard and a lot of hours per week.

• Members

I've been a fan of Sungha Jung for a while now.

One thing to keep in mind about this kid is that his dad is a professional fingerstyle guitarist. Ok, so there may be a genetic advantage there, but think about it, he lives with his own guitar teacher - many more instructional opportunities than a typical student-teacher relationship.

Another thing is that he loves to play and avidly collects arrangements (like other kids collect Pokemon) from great grownup fingerstylists - you can see whose arrangement he used in the Info section of most of his Youtube videos. He's playing his guitar while other kids are playing Wii, tweeting, surfing the net, Facebooking, texting, etc. So yeah, his 10,000 hours will add up much faster than those of most other kids on the planet.

• Members

That guy is definitely the most talented 50 year old midget I've seen for months....

One thing to keep in mind about this kid is that his dad is a professional fingerstyle guitarist. Ok, so there may be a genetic advantage there, but think about it, he lives with his own guitar teacher - many more instructional opportunities than a typical student-teacher relationship.

That has to be a huge help.

Another thing is that he loves to play and avidly collects arrangements (like other kids collect Pokemon) from great grownup fingerstylists - you can see whose arrangement he used in the Info section of most of his Youtube videos. He's playing his guitar while other kids are playing Wii, tweeting, surfing the net, Facebooking, texting, etc. So yeah, his 10,000 hours will add up much faster than those of most other kids on the planet.

My guess is that the 'natural talent' that crops up in all fields is mostly a talent for concentration and motivation, rather than just a 'ready made' talent for guitar, golf, or whatever.

If I had the focus and dedication to guitar that he has, and had put the same number of hours with such interest and enthusiasm, then by now I'd be.... well.... probably still pretty crummy, but I'd be way ahead of where I am now that's for sure. Compared to his level of involvement I barely even dabble...

• Members

Awesome !

I have seen some other clips of this kid before. It's amazing what he does with one guitar.

Also nice to see a kid that is not into sredding for a change. :thu: (nothing wring with shredding IMO, but something different is noce, too)

to 1001gear: DADF#AD Tuning. (it says on the YouTube page info to that clip)

• Members
Awesome !

I have seen some other clips of this kid before. It's amazing what he does with one guitar.

Also nice to see a kid that is not into sredding for a change.
:thu:
(nothing wring with shredding IMO, but something different is noce, too)

to 1001gear: DADF#AD Tuning. (it says on the YouTube page info to that clip)

Tolja it was retarded. Thanks. Ahma try this.

• Members
I've done the 10,000 hours and the naturals are way ahead. Not to mention that the naturals have typically played the 10,000 hours too but had the distinct advantage from the outset.

Same here, but that's ok with me.
I do the best I can and that's all I can do. :thu:

• Members

I don't believe in natural talent one bit.

Its preposterous to think that since his dad played guitar that his first born son comes out knowing how to play. However baby are like a observing vacuum, its how we learn to walk, talk etc.

Im positive that his dad played guitar to him as a baby. Im sure that his dad would of tryed to get him involved in music by buying him a guitar. When the kid does pick up the guitar he has someone to run to every time he has a guitar related question 24/7. And like most kids they want to be like their father so kid stays inside and plays all day while his peers are outside building tree houses and eating penny candy (what do kids do these days...)

• Members

I think natural talent is somewhat bs too. I think to a certain extent there are a few very rare cases of where someone has an ability to do something that other people cannot just by "something" happening to their brain during some phase of their development.

A good example would be that story about that dude who was able to understand math at such a ridiculously high level that there wasn't a single human being on earth who understood what he was capable of doing or why he was able to do it.

I forgot the name of him but it was that guy who assigned a visual shape/color pattern to numbers and was able to calculate anything.

So, yeah natural talent does exist but 99.999999999% of the time someone with skill (ie. that video) probably isn't much different than anyone reading this post in a natural talent sense.

• Members

I also read on the kid's website that he said in an interview his dad is not a professional but a hobby player.

Not that it matters all that much (I don't think it matters at all actually), but just to keep this correct.:cop:

OK. Is your dad the professional musician?

No. He is also amateur player as just a hobby.

here's the link : http://www.sunghajung.com/xe/Interview

• Members

Natural talent exists no question in my mind. I play and talk and live guitar all the time. I have 3 kids. All of them play. All of them are far above the average to their peer group. None of them are anywhere close to that kid.

He hasn't been alive long enough to put in the waking hours to accomplish that. Between school and eating and sleeping.

Nobody likes to believe this. Especially me but it's pretty clear in some examples. This kid is wired different.

Nobody is saying you can't learn to be great but to deny the natural is not quite fair either

• Members

There are, as we speak, TONS of amazingly talented kids on the planet. Most of them WAAAY exceed the talent level that our heroes had at there age. I know Holdsworth wasn't because I have heard him say he wasn't. Metheny actually cautions young prodigies.

Look, talent is only part of the game. This kid didn't just wake up one day and be able to play like this. There is lots of work as well as talent involved. Obviously he has A BUNCH more natural gifts in music than average 'talented' kid. But someone else besides him, has helped this along. I don't know what his home life is like, but I bet is primarily focused on school and playing guitar. In a couple of years, after he gets some pubes and his first taste of stinkfinger, we'll see.

And to wit, the exploitation of his natural talents and hard work at such a young age, perpetuates the myth that "real musicians" are the "chosen ones". The rest of us that actually have to practice, aren't the "real thing" and aren't really worth listening to. And most regular folks really don't care. They watch about a miniute of the youtube vid and type "Wow. That kid is really talented.", then watch a vid of someome lighting a fart. Which coincidentally, is more entertaining to them then some pre teen guitar monster.

The percentage of child prodigies that actually go on and make a living in the biz, is the same as regularly talented folks (unofficially speaking). It is all about desire, drive, and most importantly the LOVE of making music. Natural talent and prodigy-ism is part of the equation, yes, but it is the LOVE that creates the desire to move forward with what you have. You can be supernaturally talented, and by the time you are 14, totally sick of it. So the natural talent vs. work question is a stupid one. It supplants the reality of what making music really is. Which is really all about the love of making it, not how talented you were when you were 8. We'll see where he is at when he is 30. Chances are he'll be just as good as all the other 30 year olds with much less natural talent who have worked their asses off to be great, CUZ THEY LOVED IT.

And btw, thanks for turning us on to the kid. I found it to be entertaining and inspiring.

• Members
There are, as we speak, TONS of amazingly talented kids on the planet. Most of them WAAAY exceed the talent level that our heroes had at there age.

I notice this with the kids I teach now. Many of them are in the local high school's Rock Band program (be in a band for credit!) and I hear about the new shredders entering the class each year. These kids have learned Satriani and Vai songs note for note by 9th grade, bands I was just starting to get a taste of later in high school.

I agree the prodigy thing is overblown. I've seen countless stories over the years of the kids who wrote symphonies at five, played all the jazz legends tunes at six, etc. Most of the artists who rock my world come from all backgrounds. Hell, I've loved KISS for almost thirty years! ;)

My friend was a child virtuoso, still an amazing player today. But he has to log in a lot of hard work, touring/recording as a studio player and finding time for his own projects. His talent has helped him find many opportunities, but nothing has been handed to him.

• Members

Nobody is saying you can't learn to be great but to deny the natural is not quite fair either

Hey Jeremy,

If you're interested in reading more about the endless 'Nature versus Nurture' debate, there's some interesting books around that relate it to music.

There's one called The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle that looks interesting, although I've only read the excerpts. There are three quite lengthy sections (from Chapters 1, 5 and 9) that you can read online here if you click through and push it up to full screen size.

Talent Code

Here he is talking about it on Youtube:

Another guy doing interesting research is Daniel Levitin, a professor at McGill in Canada.

This is Your Brain on Music

and if you want to read about the freakier side of things there's always Oliver Sachs:

Musicophilia

I have no connection with any of the above, other than having read excerpts of the first one online, enjoyed reading the second one (from the library) and buying the last one (mostly because it was the only one of the three that the local bookshop had in stock). So I hope I haven't broken any rules by mentioning them.

Chris

• Members

Dont get me wrong guys - I totally agree with you all. Hard work is the key to getting the job done regardless of the raw materials you have to work with. Tom Morello is FAR cooler than that kid even though he likely has less natural talent. Creativity is a total different area and less calculable.

I do enjoy this topic (from a healthy interest - Thanks Cazual for the links I have read "this is your brain on music" which was cool I will check out the others)

My personal feeling is that there is a spark which people either have or they dont. This has been my experience after years of teaching. There is a basic musical "thing" that somebody needs to have or they will never be better than just OK. Now that's not to say that isnt cool and just to enjoy it should be the goal for everyone. That's totally cool. Just groove and have fun.

But there is a school of thought out there that "there are no naturals" this I just don't buy. Sure there is a hard work component - I take that as a given. But to say there isnt a natural born in "thing" just sounds to me like wishful thinking.

Having said all that I think many people (more than not) have that spark that "thing" to workable levels and with enough hard work they can totally achieve their goals. 90% work 10% natural gifts. To me this is the approximate equation.

This kid is an example of the 10% - he's still got the 90% work left to do!

Archived