Mexican style chord progressions?

• Members

not really flaminco, but ive heard alot of mexican music that has some very haunting chord progressions... could you point me in the right direction?

Flamenco is from Spain by the way :)

But what kind of mexican music??

You've got from Mariachis to Rock Music.

A rock band that I found particularly intersting are Los Caifanes, that mix mexican influenced music with rock.

Here are some good songs by them:

[YOUTUBE]KjKPS7HaqvA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JZwSHYldjsk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EloJwa1qGdM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]95QZvA7swMU[/YOUTUBE]

If you're interested in more latin music I can name a few other bands that are particularly good and that defined the sound of folkore music down here in South America.

• Members

Both Caifanes and Cafe Tacuba are muy bueno. Where can one get tabs for their music?

A couple 'Mexican' songs that I would appreciate tab/Chords and lyrics for are: Siempre Hace Frio by Cuco Sanchez (a fairly simple song I would think) and La Tumba Sera El Final sung by Flaco Jiminez and composed by Felipe Valdes Leal (who also wrote Tu, Solo Tu).

Mexican music is very cool, especially for guitar. I think the 'haunting' chords the OP mentions turn up most often in ranchera, and some Texas country incorporates very cool 'Mexican' progressions. Does anybody in this forum like/play this music?

• Members

Both Caifanes and Cafe Tacuba are
muy bueno
. Where can one get tabs for their music?

A couple 'Mexican' songs that I would appreciate tab/Chords and lyrics for are:
Siempre Hace Frio
by Cuco Sanchez (a fairly simple song I would think) and
La Tumba Sera El Final
sung by Flaco Jiminez and composed by Felipe Valdes Leal (who also wrote
Tu, Solo Tu
)

Mexican music is very cool, especially for guitar. I think the 'haunting' chords the OP mentions turn up most often in
ranchera
, and some Texas country incorporates very cool 'Mexican' progressions. Does anybody in this forum like/play this music?

Ya lets go with that... i have no idea what im talking about as you can tell lmao... I just hear some of this music on the travel channel and stuff (anthony bourdain) its hispanic inspired and the progressions are very haunting... Could be ranchera, idk, but really i just want some help with these chord progressions if you dont mind.

• Members

Ya lets go with that... i have no idea what im talking about as you can tell lmao... I just hear some of this music on the travel channel and stuff (anthony bourdain) its hispanic inspired and the progressions are very haunting... Could be ranchera, idk, but really i just want some help with these chord progressions if you dont mind.

Try to find pieces of the show on youtube or whatever and post them here and maybe we could help :)

• Members

So, does anyone have any idea where to find chords/tabs/lyrics for these kinds of music? It's out of the mainstream and may be difficult to find, but there is a large and appreciative audience for this sort of music even among
gringos

www.lacuerda.net is a tab site for music in spanish

here for example are the tabs for los caifanes

http://lacuerda.net/tabs/c/caifanes/

even here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/caifanes_tabs.htm there are many tabs for caifanes.

But for more realitively unknow bands in the US or europe you should try lacuerda.net

And the lyrics can be found pretty much anywhere

• Members

itll take some searching but i will eventually and ill put it up thanks guys

:thu:

Yes, find some and post it.

When I think of Meixcan music I think of Oom-Pa-Oom-Pa, like a polka or something. Other than that, it's the spaghetti western stuff.

When we gigged in Houston in the 80's we would stay at these condos where it was like a low income Mexican housing community. Every Sunday morning after playing 6 sets the night before until 5am, there would be a full blown fiesta in the courtyard.

On 1-2 hours of sleep, still drunk from the night before, and be awaken by 300 party animals outside, with pinatas hanging, and the sound of Oom-Pa-Oom-Pa-oom-Pa...it was like waking up in another country on an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Post what you find, I'll be learning music tonight so I'll help out.

• Members

One suggestion for a song would be "Cancion del Mariachi". It's the song played in the beginning of some Antonio Banderas movie which I forget the title of. Look it up on the interwebs. There's a pretty good transcription of it.

The progression is actually more Baroque sounding with a Phryrigian (sp) mode laid on top of it. Pretty fun little tune.

I don't know if that helps but maybe it would give you a jumping of point.

• Members

Yeah, that's very cool. It's from the movie "Desperado". Good movie, contains a couple other snippets of good guitar in it. I'm not advanced enough to tackle that, I don't think, but will try to work up to it.

Another movie with some good "Mexican" guitar is "El Mariachi" ("Desperado" is basically the Ingles-language version of it). Same director, Robert Rodriguez, who always has good music in his flics.

Archived