Teaching guitar - best syllabuses?

• Members

Hi everyone,

Been thinking about starting up my own guitar school, the thing I need is a really good/detailled syllabus book. Something with lessons and diagrams and ideas for homework to give to the students. Just as a school teacher would have a syllabus on what to cover that year, I'd really like something the same, don't mind spending a bit of money on a really decent guide.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

• Members

There are some excellent books out there that you could use as a starter. Why not start there and make up your course from those? One thing you need to make sure of, and that is to make sure the course has some structure to it so your students progress from one stage to the next. It will be ineffective and frustrating for your students if it's all over the place.

• Members

I think the problem with an approach like you're talking about is that students come into a lesson or school situation with so many different levels of ability and interest it would be tough to find anything that is a universal fit.

But if you're looking to start a real school, no use re-inventing the wheel. Just steal, err... I mean use, the Berklee curriculum.

• Members

a method is actually kind of a terrible idea. read the advancing guitarist by mick goodrick. its all of the material anyone would ever need

Since all good teaching systems use a "method" or structure so a student learns in an organized, advancing, step by step method, I must respectfully disagree. It is the way we learn most things, We learn the rudimentary things and progress in our understanding or application one step at a time. That is called a method or methodical approach.

However, just about every good book can teach us something. Here is a free pdf download for the book you mentioned. http://www.pdf-search-engine.com/the-advancing-guitarist-pdf.html

• Members

methods tend to teach the method rather than the best way to learn your instrument. you can learn methods from method books out the wahzoo but when it comes down to it, you pretty much have to learn everything about the music and how the guitar works as well as theory. there are definitely ways to organize it but everything is not always interconnected

• Members

Yeah, the different musical tastes and goals of your students makes it difficult to develop ONE perfect syllabus. My teaching syllabus is an evolving greatest hits of my own ideas and favorite pages/charts/songs from books I've collected over the years.

Someone wants to shred, I take a page from, say, Stetina's lead guitar book.

Kid who worships Guitar Hero? I find sheet music from the Guitar Hero songbook.

And so on.

Of course, I'm still doing my own studies, so I'm ready to expand on ideas in these pages or connect them to previous studies.

Archived