Minor bluesy jam anyone?

mosiddiqi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Man! That track is irresistable! Every time I write a tune I wanna use stuff like that but I tend to avoid it because it's a pretty common progression (cuz it's cool)!

I've been listening to some of the takes, and I love it! so many points of view/approaches! Great stuff you guys!

My thing with improv lately has been to try to make it sound like I tossed it off, but have everything sound good... almost like it was worked out ahead of time. This take is the 3rd.

Would love your feedback thanks!

-Jon

JF Minor Madness

Hahah.....I haven't got sound at work, but I can imagine the "feedback" will be "Holy {censored} Jon, we're not worthy".

I love the complete lack of ego around here. :thu:

• Members

Man! That track is irresistable! Every time I write a tune I wanna use stuff like that but I tend to avoid it because it's a pretty common progression (cuz it's cool)!

I've been listening to some of the takes, and I love it! so many points of view/approaches! Great stuff you guys!

My thing with improv lately has been to try to make it sound like I tossed it off, but have everything sound good... almost like it was worked out ahead of time. This take is the 3rd.

-Jon

JF Minor Madness

Wow. Well...I remember Tom Jones saying "some people CAN play, and some people can PLAY". I think that take fits the second part of the saying!..I loved it. Really cool lines, nice mix of blues/harmonic minor and jazzy phrasing. To put it into context, whilst I was concentrating hard to play simply to the changes..you sound like you're effortlessly playing the changes..actually leading from one chord to the other. Excellent, I have tons of homework to do. :cry::thu:

In summary Holy {censored} Jon, we're not worthy. :)

• Members

Wow. Well...I remember Tom Jones saying "some people CAN play, and some people can PLAY".

That's a GREAT quote.

-Jon

JF Minor Madness

Another great take, very cool touch & tone. I loved that little run starting about 0:46, it was a nice way to break things up with a simple, straightforward line.

• Members
Now that is a sweeeeet Strat tone!

Thanks, it's just a California Strat w/Fralin Blues pickups ---> Guitar Rig 4.

..really cool, like your attack and the way you're going for the bends..don't think you quite got them all
;)

Probably not, I'm coming back from severe myalgia I've had for awhile (who knew a high fever can trigger it), so bending is still painful. Definitely something I am working to get back though.

• Members

Thanks, it's just a California Strat w/Fralin Blues pickups ---> Guitar Rig 4.

Probably not, I'm coming back from severe myalgia I've had for awhile (who knew a high fever can trigger it), so bending is still painful. Definitely something I am working to get back though.

Ouch!...excellent job in that case. :thu:..best of luck with the recovery.

• Members
Hahah.....I haven't got sound at work, but I can imagine the "feedback" will be "Holy {censored} Jon, we're not worthy".

I love the complete lack of ego around here.
:thu:

Well apart from the lavish praise of note choice, phrasing etc. :blah: but you already know how good you play.

IF I had to give some feedback on what I'd change to make it better, I 'd say I wasn't a big fan of the tone of your guitar. Sounded a bit like Steve Vai turned up to play with the wedding band if you know what I mean.

{censored} hot other than that.

• Members
Well apart from the lavish praise of note choice, phrasing etc.
:blah:
but you already know how good you play.

IF I had to give some feedback on what I'd change to make it better, I 'd say I wasn't a big fan of the tone of your guitar. Sounded a bit like Steve Vai turned up to play with the wedding band if you know what I mean.

{censored} hot other than that.

Thanks! I'm not quite sure what you mean by that analogy. On tone, I was going for "good enough for the twenty or so minutes I spent working on it". I agree it's not "master quality tone", it was Amplitube X-Gear. I like it for quick and dirty projects, but I tend to go with real amps for projects that I devote more time to.

I didn't use a pick for a lot of it, which changes the tone a lot. Less attack ( which like for some things). I was holding it, but not only got used for faster runs.

Thanks for the input!

• Members

I don't think so. He's been kinda quiet except for the occasional theory gem answer that totally nails the question, from time to time.

Meanwhile we're waiting eagerly for your feedback on the homework lesson:

Quote:

I've always wanted to transcribe my take over this progression, maybe this is a good time to. And then we can pick it apart.

For you next lesson, listen to my take and try and learn the first 4 bars of the solo

GaJ transcription services ... at your service

minorballad_gennation.pdf (first 4 bars :) )

I'll do some more, obviously, when I have some more time.... looking forwards to your help with "picking this apart", Mike!

GaJ

• Members

I don't think so. He's been kinda quiet except for the occasional theory gem answer that totally nails the question, from time to time.

Meanwhile we're waiting eagerly for your feedback on the homework lesson:

Hey cool! I should be able give a run this weekend.

• Members
That's really good Knotty!
:thu:
..I like the mix of slow/fast lines, some unexpected twists and turns too!..

Thanks, although listening back to it in the cold light of day it sounds pretty rough round the edges, in hind sight I'd probably be embarrassed to post it given the quality of some of the other takes on here! I was over excited at the prospect of finally being able to record something I think!

I really liked your take too, very bluesy. One of the best on the thread in my opinion.

• Members
I remember this take before. Way to stick to the changes and lay back.

It's a different take than the one I posted a few years ago. I lost the other one.

But it's a very nice BT, very open to different approaches as this thread proves.

:)

• Members

What's neat about this track is that it's straightforward enough that pretty much anyone can jump in and play over it, but it's got enough going on chordally where people who know what they're doing can go deeper and play more interesting and complex parts.

Archived