Minor bluesy jam anyone?

mosiddiqi

• Members

Cool to see how many different interpretations of this there are. Anyways, this is what came out (Logic's built-in amp sims... my only playing time is when the wife & baby are asleep). Tried not to overthink this one... not that that's every really that much of a problem for me... ;-)

http://www.box.net/shared/o4k3gsp00x

I really enjoyed this one!...cool sound, I like your attack, and your slurs gave it a really nice almost Jimmy Pagey feel to my ears. :thu:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really enjoyed this one!...cool sound, I like your attack, and your slurs gave it a really nice almost Jimmy Pagey feel to my ears.
:thu:

Thanks so much! It was played on a LP... I'm tempted to do a track w/ a strat to see how differently it comes out, although now it'll be influenced by listening to all the other great tracks. I heard blues, but Jasco, Gennation & Monson's takes really opened my mind to other possibilities of playing over this.

I played through a bunch of times to get the feel for it and work out a couple things like the intro and outtro, and where the changes are. I ended up taking parts from couple different takes - the A section from one, the rest from another, and a few punches to fix things here and there. I wanted to end on that last high note, but I simply could not do the very last bend - high E, highest fret, bent up 3 half steps (I think). Even playing that one note by itself I couldn't get it. I ended up tapping it and use my left hand to help bend, so it came out a little weaker & softer than i wanted...

• Members

Cool to see how many different interpretations of this there are. Anyways, this is what came out (Logic's built-in amp sims... my only playing time is when the wife & baby are asleep). Tried not to overthink this one... not that that's every really that much of a problem for me... ;-)

You definitely put the Blues into it, nice job.

This is a fantastic original take! All sorts of new ideas in there, especially the opening, with good thematic stuff.

Rather unfortunate tone though, I have to say.
:cry:

GaJ

Dangit! I was going to make that my signature tone:cry:... the search continues. :D

Thanks for the compliments! I was actually trying to go in a different direction. Normally this kind of song makes me think neck pup fairly clean. I chose bridge HB and 2 VSTs, Drive 5 for the distortion and Luxonics for the "space" using delay and flanger. Were you thinking it sounded too shrill?

• Members

I've always wanted to transcribe my take over this progression, maybe this is a good time to. And then we can pick it apart.

For you next lesson, listen to my take and try and learn the first 4 bars of the solo

GaJ transcription services ... at your service :)

[ATTACH]317655[/ATTACH]

I'll do some more, obviously, when I have some more time.... looking forwards to your help with "picking this apart", Mike!

GaJ

• Members

Since I tried out my new guitar for the first time today, I figured I'd just participate in this little jam thingie while I was at it. It's an Ibanez RG 370 DX that I bought used the other day, and after some adjusting and a string change, it was good to go. Don't really care for these pickups, they're way too hot for my liking, as you'll probably tell by the recording, but I'll probably install some new ones if I decide to keep it.

Link is in my sig. :)

• Members

Hello, fellows! New member here. I've been reading this thread and thought it would be fun to contribute. Here's my offering:

http://www.box.net/shared/9usg18mfe1

I gave it about eight tries before finally settling on this. I figured without a lot more practice and listening time, I wouldn't do any better, so what the hey! I can say that listening to my playing like this really highlights a lot of the things I want to do better. I'm really just noodling here, when I'd like to be creating meaningful musical phrases. It's fun doing this, though!

• Members
incredible, you really strut the blues there, while keeping it classy
:)
. i learned a lot from your site when i was starting out a few years ago.

really loved the double stops.

What guitar and amp was used in that by the way? almost makes me think it was an acoustic - loved the tone.

anyways - here's my take.

http://www.box.net/shared/0j7721zlmr

(a few flubbed lines - ich, but i figured i wasnt going to get a better take)

any kind of feedback is appreciated
:D

Hey another awesome first post! Wow!

And so many really "fresh" interpretations.

Ignoring a few missed notes, which can happen to anyone, yours was great.

Your opening really grabbed attention with that unexpected high opening note.

The only "critique" I would offer is that the initial phrases, up to about 0.13, seemed to have something "to say". The next little section was more "noodly", especially 0:16-0:18. If there was one bit to "rework", it'd be that bit, IMHO.

But overall well done - and welcome!

GaJ

• Members
Since I tried out my new guitar for the first time today, I figured I'd just participate in this little jam thingie while I was at it. It's an Ibanez RG 370 DX that I bought used the other day, and after some adjusting and a string change, it was good to go. Don't really care for these pickups, they're
way
too hot for my liking, as you'll probably tell by the recording, but I'll probably install some new ones if I decide to keep it.

Link is in my sig.
:)

Sweeeet!

Loved the tone. What is it, other than the guitar?

GaJ

• Members

Here's a quick attempt, figured I'd use a strat lol:

http://home.comcast.net/~bmayberry/Moblues.mp3

Now that is a sweeeeet Strat tone!..really cool, like your attack and the way you're going for the bends..don't think you quite got them all ;)..but hey!..nice inventive lines too. :thu:

I'm so glad so many of you took the time to play on this one...:)

• Members
Hello, fellows! New member here. I've been reading this thread and thought it would be fun to contribute. Here's my offering:

I gave it about eight tries before finally settling on this. I figured without a lot more practice and listening time, I wouldn't do any better, so what the hey! I can say that listening to my playing like this really highlights a lot of the things I want to do better. I'm really just noodling here, when I'd like to be creating meaningful musical phrases. It's fun doing this, though!

I really enjoyed your take - great feel. Loved when the wah kicked in, too.

• Members

I really enjoyed your take - great feel. Loved when the wah kicked in, too.

Thanks a lot! Did you do one as well? I can't recall if you posted on one of the other pages. If not, I'd like to hear you do a take on it as well.

It's interesting, as I was listening to undertaker's track I noticed how much more "Strat" his sound was, even though I was playing a Strat on mine as well. I guess I've got a lot of processing on my lead channel through the pedal I'm using (Boss GT-10).

• Members

3rd page of the thread:

Whoops, there it is! Yeah I had actually listened to that one already, I think. Good stuff! It actually reminds me a bit of the way I play. I think if I had adopted a more aggressive, rippin' approach to this solo I would've played something closer to what you're laying down there. Are you a fan of Clapton?

• Members

http://www.box.net/shared/9usg18mfe1

Welcome!....just got round to listening to your take..it's great!..love the gnarly tone and singing phrasing..really cool. I loved the wah kicking in too!..:thu:

• Members

Man! That track is irresistable! Every time I write a tune I wanna use stuff like that but I tend to avoid it because it's a pretty common progression (cuz it's cool)!

I've been listening to some of the takes, and I love it! so many points of view/approaches! Great stuff you guys!

My thing with improv lately has been to try to make it sound like I tossed it off, but have everything sound good... almost like it was worked out ahead of time. This take is the 3rd.

Would love your feedback thanks!

-Jon

JF Minor Madness

Archived