Minor bluesy jam anyone?

mosiddiqi

• Members

This was started in the Euro thread in GJ..and I was struggling to play anything over it...until, yesterday, thanks to the Taxman, I bought myself a Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop!! :eek:..I know..shocking for a Strat man like me, but I just wanted something different.

Within 15 minutes of getting the guitar out of the box I got a take down. The joy of a new toy I suppose!.

Here's the BT:

http://www.box.net/shared/858hezizkq

and my take:

http://www.box.net/shared/brqt7jqlq4

I was just trying to follow the chords...so hopefully, it's melodic. It obviously feels very different to play to my Strat and that probably influenced what I played as well.

Let's hear yours!..this is a good one for you all to practice chord tone solo'ing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm fixing to mail the taxman about 5 stinking Les Pauls, the bastard.

Fun take. DAMMIT! I'm going to GC and figuring out how to do this recording to the computer thing. You guys have too much fun!

:D...a Pod (or similiar) and Reaper or Audacity software is all you need really. Reaper is great..and "free". ;)

• Members
...I bought myself a Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop!!
:eek:
..I know..shocking for a Strat man like me.

Mo, I'm horrified you've gone over to the dark side... :eek:

Still, your very nice take on the blues means I can give you absolution my son, as long as you say 25 Hail Blackmores during the next week ;)

• Members

I'm going to cop a flogging for this, but here goes.....

umm.....What are the changes?

I've got the Em descending the A7 but I'm lost after that is it going to a C?

and it changes Key doesn't it........After Em to Emaj change I've got no idea.

• Members

OK - Here's the disclaimers:

1. I just downloaded Reaper software and I have no idea what I'm doing
2. I played it direct through an Alesis Zoom from 1994 so the tone is to {censored}
3. I had to save it as a .wav file, so it's like a 20MB file.
4. I wasn't a huge fan of the backing track, but I figured, what the hell, here goes nothing.
5. I made a point not to listen to Jeremy's take or Mo's after my initial listen a couple of days ago in fear that I would realize that I'm embarassing the hell out of myself by posting this. I'll go listen now and realize that I need to practice.

Without further adieu:

http://www.box.net/shared/dte7jzh3ml

Hey Mo, do you still have that Cmin to F7 blues backing track. That one sounded like I could have fun with it.

• Members

I'm going to cop a flogging for this, but here goes.....

umm.....What are the changes?

I've got the Em descending the A7 but I'm lost after that is it going to a C?

and it changes Key doesn't it........After Em to Emaj change I've got no idea.

Ok my ears still work kind of. Still no idea what I am playing over before the ii-V7-I. :confused:

Hear my take, not flash. I think I have a rhythm problem which makes my solos a bit plodding and boring. Going away to work on 16th note major scale arps now. :)

http://www.box.net/shared/x8jgjgdyda

• Members

Jason:

Great job man! Overall I would say it sounds a little tight ... very likely the tone you are getting which as you already know isnt entirely inspiring. But overall some really very nice parts in there. Great job! Nice to hear you participating in these - it is a killer drill for learning to commit something to "tape" (old fart alert!)

bigboy: Really nice job as well! You already know what needs work. Mixing up some note values and some nice vibrato would lift that take a fair bit. You have some really nice ideas and seemed to develop them well. With the passing of some time and practicing the right stuff there is a really great player in you. Also great to hear you participating as well.

• Members

Jason:

Great job man! Overall I would say it sounds a little tight ... very likely the tone you are getting which as you already know isnt entirely inspiring. But overall some really very nice parts in there. Great job! Nice to hear you participating in these - it is a killer drill for learning to commit something to "tape" (old fart alert!)

Thanks. I definitely hated the tone I got, but it took me a few hours just to figure out how to record anything, so I figured bees in a can is better than nothing.

The sad thing is that I probably had the better part of 500 hours of studio time in before I was 24 and this is the first time I've tried to record myself since then. Definitely a humbling experience. While the tone definitely wasn't inspiring, just the idea of recording after 14 years was probably as much a cause for tightness.

All in all, it was a blast. I look forward to playing the "recording to backing tracks" game a lot more. In the meantime, I'm going to work on setting up my amp and mic'ing it. I'm a Fender Tube amp guy for Christ's sake. Using anything digital is foreign to me!!!

• Members

I totally hear ya man! Learning to play when the light is on is a TOTAL skill in and of itself- you dont use it you lose it. If you arent comfortable it usually comes through. Like I said dont get me wrong it is a good take just seemed a little tight in spots - then really nice and flowing in others. Tells me you got the stuff! Just need to get comfortable.

Glad to hear you are joining in the fun bro.

• Members
Congratulations Mo!! You handing out cigars? I would be.

I wasnt really feeling it so here's a not too inspired take of the 15 minute variety. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/9d5gsvneci

Now I know why you got your name in Guitar Player Magazine...you lucky bastard.

This is seriously the best improvisation I've heard in this thread.

:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Ok my ears still work kind of. Still no idea what I am playing over before the ii-V7-I.
:confused:

Hear my take, not flash. I think I have a rhythm problem which makes my solos a bit plodding and boring. Going away to work on 16th note major scale arps now.
:)

http://www.box.net/shared/x8jgjgdyda

..and good to hear you too bigboy!...you know what you need to do!..mix it up!..some very cool ideas in there.

I should add that one the reasons I keep doing these..is to actually practice playing with the "record" button on..and trying to be free enough in myself to just let go and play.

Listening back, I think my take was way more restrained than I normally play..which was interesting in itself..partly the different feel of the Les Paul, and partly that blues just isn't my thing...always up for a challenge though! :)

Yeah, I'm still working on "Solar". :facepalm:

Jason, I'll bump that Cmin7/F7 thread.

• Members

Yeah, I may do one too.. at some point.. maybe as a video, as I really don't care about sound quality... LOL... Man, I gotta say there are some nice takes thus far.. And, Jeremy, stop your whining!!! you sound killer, bro!! great tone, too!!! Whatcha using there (gimmme the whole chain from guitar to amp, plus micing...)

;)

• Members

Danny seriously man not whining, I really wasnt into it. It felt OK at parts and I fell off the groove at others. It was one of those "good enough" kind of moments.

My goal was to do it front to back in 15 minutes no matter what. Set the timer, did 3 takes that was the best one. Glad you all dug it though and I appreciate the props!

My setup is (not all are used but here is the complete chain):

89 Strat (deluxe plus)

> tuner > TC electronics Nova Delay > Fulltone Deja2 > Radial Tonebone American drive > Cry Baby wah > Dr Z Maz38 combo (with Power attenuator)

> ShureSM57 mic

> Presonus FP10

> Mac G4 Computer running Cubase4

• Members

Nice Gear, man!!! right now, i am playing through:

(usually) my 70's Lefty Strat (which I yanked the neck off of and put a Warmoth thick ass mother{censored}er neck with Pau Ferro board... Lace Sensor hot Golds in the neck and middle, Dimarzio X2N in the bridge...) > Xotic RC Booster > Marshall Jackhammer > Fulltone Fulldrive II > Z Vex Fuzz Factory > Pigtronix Envelope Phaser > Android FX > Tuner > Electroharmonix Memory Man > Boss Delay/Verb pedal > my pooper amp (Randall RG200.. .whatever it is.. I forget... I sold all my tube amps.. had a Vox AC30, a '65 Twin and a Madison Divinity combo, as they endorsed me back in the day...)

;)

Figured i would share.. though, I will probably be buying a few new amps, effects and guitars soon.. Or at least displaying more of them in the upcoming videos... (I'll swap some pedals out on the board so you can hear more varied tones...)

;)

• Members

Some nice pieces there dude!

Seriously man if you are amp shopping make sure you check out the Dr Z's before you commit to one. It blew my mind. The local music store here let me take about (no kidding) 20 different amps out on loan to try one by one at gigs or rehearsals. I tried all the major ones. When i plugged into this Z that was it. Within 3 minutes I knew it wasn't going back.

I know 3 other cats from this area - all heavy players - all ended up with one. VERY old school tone. It depends on the sound you like but for me the classic tones were the cats ass. Very harmonically rich.

Check me out! I sound like a salesman here!

I don't care that's how much I love this amp.

• Members

I agree, and I know of the Dr. Z reputation... I am honestly in a mode where I hate tube amps.. Not because of their sound, obviously.. I hust hate their temperamental nature...

So I have been playing solid state for the past while.. got my Randall, got an ElectroHarmonix Freedom Amp, a little Vox modelling amp, and an Ashdown bass amp... I also play direct alot... (for recording purposes...)

Regardless, I am looking into a couple of new amps... a Henriksen Jazz Amp and the ZT Amps Club.. My friend who was at NAMM this year freaked out about this amp.. It's a tiny amp with a 12" speaker, but he said it CRANKS.. it's like 300 watts and is like 145dB at 1 meter away. That is STUPID loud... And it weighs like 20 pounds.... I am much more into the convenience thing... You know.. Tone rules and I wish I could afford to keep re-tubing and primping and {censored}ing with tube amps, but I am just not into it... I hate waiting for an hour while tubes cool down after a gig.. or blowing a tube on a gig.. or whatever... Tone is important to me, but not THAT important... (I prefer to play a nylon string to an electric anyday, anways..)

;)

Archived