What are you learning today?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im working on the speed mechanics book by stetna i do all the excersices, playing along everything with a metronome just to work on timing and sweep picking major, minor and diminished arrpegios, and also working on playing along to the penatanic hardcore dvd by zakk wylde i got the tab and the video its showing me how to make pentatonic scales not sound by scales. I reward myself by playing along an hour a day to song i like.

• Members

But it's not in D minor (I accidentally saved the lick with that written there, while I was thinking about it).

What key is it really in? Is it G major?

D minor pentatonic works well over it. Why is that, when G major means F#? Well, I guess there are no chords actually with F# in them so it doesn't matter, eh?

Also, how do you think about the second to last chord, which is effectively x30033 ?

Edit: I guess it's Gsus4?

Thanks!

GaJ

PS: More muddled musing

- This darn song has an A major chord in it at the end of the verse... that confuses

more more! Unless that's a "key change", then that rules out G major...

Im no expert only been playing a year but if u count 3 whole steps backwards from a major it will give you the minor scale. When i take off and play a lead i have a picture off all the notes in the scale on the fretboard i can play. Its like playing connect the dots with the scale. I sit and try to make it sound melodic and that is how i play.............Dunno if that is correct?

• Members

So probably about 3 months ago I went back to the basics and I'm very grateful that I did. Here's my dailyish lesson plan 1.5 - 2.5 hours a day.

Metronome Speed Training - 20-30 minutes
Chord Tones / Backing Tracks - 20-30 minutes
Theory - 20-30 Minutes (right now chord inversions / substitutions) *Anyone have any good sites with this theory*
Learning a new Song (Right now - I'm learning a lot of The Kooks, 21 Guns, and Use Somebody)
Work on the bands new material - adding 2nd guitar parts, working on melody

Yep, that about sums it up. If I come home from lunch and start early enough at night I do a good 2.5 hours a day, if not, I'll just get in 1.5

Matt

• Members

One of the reasons I joined here was finding an old thread about Advancing Guitarist, and then I found this thread. So hereeee I ammmmm:wave:

I am strangely very excited about finding out about (though i have read about it before though its only clicked now---get me?) Advanced Guitarist. because I feel liberated. I sense it will remove blocks I have had. Aint bought book yet

So anyhow I have been doing melodies on each string the notes of C Major. I first recorded me strumming C Major for about coupla mins, and then did vatrious melodies of C scale on each string

What I can often get is NOT writers block but a kind of trance of sitting IMAGINING what i sould be doing in an excitable way lol instead of doing it, but you know I think everything has its effect

In a way I HAVE been doing the one string thang for quite a while. My guitar is a semi acoustic Encore round back, and its action has always been high. I got it years ago and it very much discouraged full use of fret with barres. BUT I did begin using glass slide to jam with others, and so was getting very Ry Cooder meets Ravi Shankar vibes goin on. ALL that has been learning

I feel it is sad when some guitarists say 'i am just going round in circles', because although you may not be your hero guitar god, all your playing does learn you. Though important thing is to pick it up

I have only recently re-picked it up after a full year of lookin at it leanin against a wall. weirrd:eek:

• Members

Prepping for the KOTBs competition: Going through the backing tracks, narrowing it down to one...the guy who made these tracks is one devious SOB....I think he hate's musicians as much as I do....

Are you allowed to share those tracks?

• Members

I am still working steadily on the whole guide tone thing, now eveloving to the point of everyday taking my Real Book, popping it open on a random page and random tune and trying to solo on it using guidetones as "signposts" to mark the downbeat of any and all new chords... I must say, I have really begun to subconsciously nail those notes down (third and sevenths only still...) but now I am also allowing myself to hit notes other than the guide tones on different passes to add more color...

Also still working on the arpeggio studies in all tonalities that I use often, like major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished and wholetone. Sequencing them, playing through them, string together progressions in different keys and trying to voice lead the arpeggios, etc.

Generating chords, which I will be talking about in the next solo guitar concepts, which I may record today with my new Suhr, when it gets here!!!

Etc.

• Members

The last few days I've been working on an 11 piece tune I'm performing with a number of "local jazz pro's". The performance is Friday night. It's a one time event for a music series happening in town. The guy who wrote it was commissioned by the series organizers. I was lucky enough to have been called for the session to record it as well as the series finale performance!

Here's the promo as well as a sample clip of 'section 4' of the piece: http://foliasmusic.com/2010/04/sneak-preview-of-steve-talagas-new-composition/

• Members

Nice thread-idea!:thu:

For me it may not make too much sense to poat here everyday since I practice the same stuff for at least one week before I change material.
But what I have been workong on this week was:

1.alternate picking exercises
2.learning the arps on the 'Ladybird' turnaround
3.some Thrash riffs out of Stetina's Thrash method book
4.dominant 7 pentatonics applied to m7b5 chords
5.improvising over II-V-I with just two basic major pentatonics
6.working on some tunes (learnign the themes, practicing the technically difficult parts isolated and trying to improvise over the chords).

looking at this list makes me think I may have too much on my plate :idk:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived