What are you learning today?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being that I'm home with a sick kid today. I actually have some time to really practice. I'll start by learning No Rain by Blind Melon (joys of being in the world's cheesiest cover band). Then I'm going to really dig into Danny's last two video lessons. That last one really got me with the syncopation between the thumb and fingers.

Then, I think I'm going to head to guitar center and try to buy a whammy bar for the used Strat I just got. Then.... world beware! :evil:

• Members

Worked too many hours these past couple of weeks. Tonight, the band's singer/songwriter played some new songs she wrote for me. I took notes, thought of parts I could play, and discussed with her. She wanted me to replace the guitar part I originally created for one song with synths, because she really liked this one shimmering Moog Voyager sound. The guitar part was just some chords influenced by Holdsworth, but that was before I realized the simpler was generally better with her songs - I could indulge in fancier chords and soloing in my own music and the semi-improvised contemporary classical stuff my friend occasionally has me play (he's threatening to inflict two more compositions on me - probably tone row based again like last year).

Continued learning "State Street", the rhythm changes etude, from Jazz Guitar Etudes. Practiced "Irving Street" (A Train etude) and "Halsted Street" (jazz-blues etude) from same book.

Practiced "Study #3 - Hybrid Picking with Legato" and "Jaywalkin'" the two pieces I memorized from the Hybrid Picking for Guitar book.

Finished up playing chords for "So Danco Samba" and "Solar". Practiced melody to "Solar" as memorized from Mile's playing on the Walkin' album.

• Members
That's because classical guitar is not really for musicians. Musicians _create_ music, there's no creativity in playing classical music.

;):);):cop:

GaJ

(runs away looking for a cave to hide in while he takes off his troll suit)

;)

Oh and I learned the song "Symphony Of Destruction" including the solo. Not exactly jazz, but if you've ever listened to the solo it isn't exactly easy to learn note for note.

• Members

Blue On Black. A 2 chord song, basically :) Good for thinking about chord tone soloing.

OK ... so here are some questions!

This is the basics of it:

MQUAAA.jpg

But it's not in D minor (I accidentally saved the lick with that written there, while I was thinking about it).

What key is it really in? Is it G major?

D minor pentatonic works well over it. Why is that, when G major means F#? Well, I guess there are no chords actually with F# in them so it doesn't matter, eh?

Also, how do you think about the second to last chord, which is effectively x30033 ?

Edit: I guess it's Gsus4?

Thanks!

GaJ

PS: More muddled musing

- This darn song has an A major chord in it at the end of the verse... that confuses

more more! Unless that's a "key change", then that rules out G major...

• Members

I'm going to see Peter Green tonight.Maybe I'll learn something from the master:)
I'm flying to Tehran,my hometown,early tomorrow morning and i'll take the Guitar fretboard workbook to keep me busy on the flight.It's such a long flight.

• Members

Finally got some time to practice.

Tried "Halsted Street" etude from Jazz Guitar Etudes book on viola. Rough but doable. Then part of Cello Suite #1 Prelude.

The band's songwriter wanted me to switch from guitar to keys for one song, so started revisiting Invention No. in C Major on piano and learning Invention No. 13 in A minor (the song is in A minor, so I figured this would be a good next Invention to learn).

Only guitar work I did was the first groove from Danny's Solo Guitar Concepts #3 - James Brown Grooves. Had to slow it down a lot to work with it, but who cares.

Archived