What are you learning today?

• Members

Today:

1 hr - Octave displacement

2 hr - Backing track improv (focusing on chord tones, hitting subdivisions 16ths, 32nds, groups of 6's, single string limitation exercises, string skipping)

Currently here taking a break, may surf a bit then finish up with an 1-2 hrs of "George VanEps - Harmonic Mechanisms"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today:

1 hr - Octave displacement

2 hr - Backing track improv (focusing on chord tones, hitting subdivisions 16ths, 32nds, groups of 6's, single string limitation exercises, string skipping)

Currently here taking a break, may surf a bit then finish up with an 1-2 hrs of "George VanEps - Harmonic Mechanisms"

Man, is it still Sunday in Canadia or something?

• Members

Worked on my reading last night: Pretty Pickin' Duet from Modern Method Vol 1.

Had my first guitar lesson in almost ten years this afternoon, and he gave me some really cool exercises to try - things like stringing different arpeggios together to make one fluid run, and have it sound a little more unique than your standard arpeggio shapes. I hope to go over some of that tonight.

• Members

Villa-Lobos. Etudes 12 and 5 and prelude 4. That and a minuet by someone named Leonard De Call. Never heard of him though.

:thu: Nice! :thu: I haven't really seen much mention of classical guitar on these forums. I played Etude 5 on my junior recital in college. I love all Villa Lobos. For my senior recital I played the Suite Populaire Brasilienne.

• Members

I was really taken by the Oz octave displacement thing..so I've been working on that today ( I have the week off work!)..it's already generating some cool sounding riffs that I hope will turn into songs.

I'm also working on a new song that is all done apart from guitar (it was written on bass)..I think I've worked out what I want to play...so I just need to practice it and hopefully get a take done tonight.

• Members

Man... I jammed with one of my best friends the other day, who came for a visit from NYC.. He's a sax player.. He really inspired me to get back into a more serious practice regimen that includes FEW TOPICS OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.... So for the next two weeks to month I will be working on (apart from your guys next solo guitar concepts installments):

1. Guide tones as jumping off points for all my melodies through a set of chord changes (landing on a guide tone at the end of phrases and on downbeats, and always starting on a guide tone...)

2. Arpeggio studies in all different tonalities (Major, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Diminished and Whole Tone) in position and ascending and descending horizontally across the neck... (applied to tunes aswell, particularly in position).

3. Rhythmic phrasing - playing varying lentghs of phrases and using alot of space....

4. Superimposing "fake" changes to generate outside lines (this is a lifelong pursuit really... just gonna start exploiting it more...)

5. building chord voicings on the fly from formulas, over changes.... This is probably the most challanging of the topics (for me at least..>)

So those are the 5 things I have decided to focus on from a mental standpoint, in addtion to just straight up technical work and whatnot...

• Members

Man... I jammed with one of my best friends the other day, who came for a visit from NYC.. He's a sax player.. He really inspired me to get back into a more serious practice regimen that includes FEW TOPICS OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME....

Dude, ain't that the truth. It's so hard for me to do. I get overwhelmed with choices sometimes, just because I'm interested in so many types of music. Like I just started work on a Roger Mason video, "Nashville Chops and Western Swing." And I have zero experience in chicken pickin (though I have been playing with a thumbpick a lot lately! :thu:) and so I'm forced to be a beginner again. And that {censored} is hard. Meanwhile other things I've started digging into recently, like solo jazz guitar stuff and getting deep into arpeggio studies, are back on the shelf, neglected. And when am I ever gonna really polish up that Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in DGCGCD tuning? It's been like three years already. Jeez.

While I'd like to think that learning all these different things are helping me improve me in an overall way, I think one of the most difficult things to do as a player/student/human is following through and finishing what's been started.

So maybe my "What are you learning today?" should be narrowing down my focus.

• Members

My practice is organized like in these sections.

Part 1 - Scale of the Week (D major) so this week i am focusing only on this scale and knowing all the notes and position of the scale on the neck.

Part 2 - Sight reading, i have a book that i use to sight read notes, every week i do about 5-10 pages of progress. I make sure i can play each peace before i move on.

Part 3 - Jazz Standard of the Week "Minor Swing" so i learn the theme and then practice my own solo over the Minor Swing Harmony.

Part 4 - Play the already learned standards from previous weeks so i don't forget them.

I do this every night, and my practice routine last somewhere between two to three hours, sometimes on weekends i even go further if time permits.

• Members

Dude, ain't that the truth. It's so hard for me to do. I get overwhelmed with choices sometimes, just because I'm interested in so many types of music. Like I just started work on a Roger Mason video, "Nashville Chops and Western Swing." And I have zero experience in chicken pickin (though I have been playing with a thumbpick a lot lately!
:thu:
) and so I'm forced to be a beginner again. And that {censored} is hard. Meanwhile other things I've started digging into recently, like solo jazz guitar stuff and getting deep into arpeggio studies, are back on the shelf, neglected. And when am I ever gonna really polish up that Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in DGCGCD tuning? It's been like three years already. Jeez.

While I'd like to think that learning all these different things are helping me improve me in an overall way, I think one of the most difficult things to do as a player/student/human is following through and finishing what's been started.

So maybe my "What are you learning today?" should be narrowing down my focus.

Too true...

I have been drilling the guide tone lines in a free form fashion, and I gotta say, it really starts to seep into your playing immediately, if you give it it's due attention and time...

I think that we all are guilty of overreaching, especially once you sort of have things together... We try to "fast food" it, if you catch my drift... To just gloss over something and say: "ok, I put my fingers in that configuration, so I get it now..."

Not the case.... Immersion is the only way to INTERNALIZE an idea... to get it from being stiff and academic to being a part of your actual musical vocabulary...

That is true practice.

I am back on that horse, bigtime.

• Members

Got my guitar take done for a new track last night.!

Did more octave displacements and came up with a riff that I think is a definite keeper...kind of whole tone madness that I think the others will enjoy. Lisa asked me to record it for her as it gave her a melody idea. :)

Played along with Dio's "Holy Diver" album this morning..not exactly "practice" but damn good fun :rawk:

• Members

Got my guitar take done for a new track last night.!

Did more octave displacements and came up with a riff that I think is a definite keeper...kind of whole tone madness that I think the others will enjoy. Lisa asked me to record it for her as it gave her a melody idea.
:)

Played along with Dio's "Holy Diver" album this morning..not exactly "practice" but damn good fun
:rawk:

Mo

Brother you are like my more tanned Doppelganger buddy. I relate to your stuff on so many levels its scary!

Played through Holy Diver last week....

out of nowhere... for reasons unbeknown to me!

Enjoyed it so much I did Diary of a madman the following night :rawk::rawk:

Archived