What are you learning today?

• Members

I wanna start a thread...where we come in and post everyday what we are learning.

It's kind of a personal thing, I've gotten to the point where I just pick up the guitar and noodle around, no real progress, no songs learned, no theory learned, no new scales/chords learned, and most important...no progress.

I feel this doesn't just apply to me; I've seen countless threads on how to practice more efficiently, in fact there's one on this page right now.

As of today, I will be posting here everyday what I have practiced.

Anyone/Everyone is welcome to join me.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did technique excercises on my acoustic, scales arppegios and inside picking. Working on meditterainean sundance, the Al Demiola parts.

Gonna work on the ear-fingerboard connection by playing some simple melodies in different positions.

• Members

I'm learning to read music, so it'll be Ode to Joy for a half hour. I've almost nailed it so I'll be able to move onto something that includes string 3 as well.

Then I'll be practicing These Streets by Paulo Nutini, as well as practicing my Root 5 and 6 barre chords and getting more competent with them as well as trying to keep in time.

I'll also be doing the major scale, and maybe try to learn the second position of it.

Then I'll probably just mess about for a bit, which I always end up doing anyway, haha!

Thats my guitar for the day, and it's interesting for me to see what you advanced players will be up to from my perspective as a beginner!

Paul

• Members

Did page 20 of the A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 (Berklee).

Awesome, I'm going through the same book - my goal for this year is to learn to read, at least at a basic level. I'm almost done w/ chapter 5. I've got the Waltz in F down pretty well and I've started on the next piece (I forget the name - Pretty Pickin?).

I found and old Beatles song book that we had tucked away on a shelf for years, so I also flipped through that, practicing reading some of the tunes. I really love Jeff Beck's instrumental version of "A Day In The Life" so that's the one I started with.

• Members

3/20/10

Did page 20 of the A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 (Berklee).

I had trouble reading and playing notes at the same time.

Ever since I've started using a metronome, I've realized my various errors in timing and rhythm.

Nice one! This will flow through into finding things easier to transcribe too, when your sense of timing and rhythym is good.

GaJ

• Members
I spent as much time as I could this weekend working on the pentatonic shapes I thought I knew. A slap in the face (actually I think it was a moderated punch) in a different thread on this forum made me revaluate my goals. I

• Members

Today I am going to be jamming with a great friend of mine, who is a sick alto sax player... So, most likely, I will be learning some new tunes... Wayne Shorter tunes, probably... He likes those weird chord changes Wayne likes to write... So I will, in a more subconscious way, learn more about comping today... Comping, basslines, chord changes, substitutions, dynamics and things of that sort.... That is my "regimen" for the day... Also, I am working on a track for this band... So I laid down the drums... So, I also learned their song (transcribing skills) and played out their drum part... Yay...

Archived