runnrdad

Re: Mickey Baker's 26 jazz chords to learn...

since I can't read music (yet), buying his book about learning jazz would be a complete waste. Do any of you know the names of the 26 jazz chords you have to learn in order to move through the course?

I figure I can work on the chords even if I can't read music.

He gives you chord diagrams. Buy the book. It's like $8.

You only need to read a staff for the soloing section. It's no big deal.

Are you going to wait until you read music to start learning?

You learn as you go.

He gives you chord diagrams. Buy the book. It's like $8.

You only need to read a staff for the soloing section. It's no big deal.

Are you going to wait until you read music to start learning?

You learn as you go.

So this is how this forum works?!?!?! A guy tells you he doesn't read music and you encourage him to learn things anyway?!?!?! What is this world coming to?!?!?! Tarnation!!!

So this is how this forum works?!?!?! A guy tells you he doesn't read music and you encourage him to learn things anyway?!?!?! What is this world coming to?!?!?! Tarnation!!!

I am so ashamed...:cry:

I'm not trying to be cheap. I bought several books that are beyond my level and they've just dampened my enthusiasm for learning the instrument. I thought someone here could just give me the jazz chord names and I'd use one of the books I already have to learn the fingerings.

I know Virgman believes in a tough love approach to newbies....it is I who am ashamed. :cry:

Oh, and Virgman, please don't read my other inquiry post today...I couldn't take two beatings before the sun sets....:facepalm:

Really, Baker's book has chord diagrams in it.

Like this:

g_chords_table.gif

You will need the book not just the chord diagrams because he tells you how to put the chords together.

The book is really inexpensive. You can get it for like $8.

So I am being sincere. Buy the book.

But be aware you will need to practice a lot.

I empathize with you. I have lots of books too.

Oh, and Virgman, please don't read my other inquiry post today...I couldn't take two beatings before the sun sets....
:facepalm:

RunnDad... I don't really think there was a negative tone in Vrigmans' comments... He is just passionate about people learning and not being hindered by crutch...

To say that a book dampened your desire to learn, to me, is pretty ridiculous... Perhpas it was the frustration of not being able to grasp what was in the book.... That is not the books' fault...

Regardless... The chord types you will definitely want to learn are:

Maj7, 7, Min7, min7b5, dim7, Maj7#5, maj7#11, 7#11, 7#5, MinMaj7, Maj6, Min6, 69, sus2, sus4, 7sus4, 7#9, 7b5, 7b9, Maj9, Min9, 9, Maj13, Min13, 13.... I could go on forever....

The point is, you should learn ALL the chords, not just the ones listed in a Mickey Baker book.... if you have a book of chords (if not, there are TONS of resources online for chord grids,diagrams, generators, etc.) play a few... listen to them... hear what they sound like... try to string them together... then maybe learn a jazz standard.... Look at the chord changes and try to utilize the chords you learned to play through this tune, to get a better grasp on harmonic motion and song/chord "forumlas"....

The chords I wrote the qualities to are not even including TRIADS, FOURTH VOICINGS, POLYCHORDS, SLASH CHORDS, OTHER EXTENDED CHORDS (such as, for instance: m7b5 natural 9, or 13b9, or min7#5, etc.)... The other thing is, you will probably only learn one or two voicings per chord type... this will hinder your freedom later on..... What you REALLY need to know is how these chords are constructed and where the notes to these constructs are all over the neck....

If you can do THAT, you can generate your own chords that adhere to any and all of these tonalities.

Get the book.

It was the first book I bought in my own personal attempt to school myself in jazz. You don't need to know how to read music for this book to be a great introduction to commonly used jazz chords and how to put them together.

It takes time though, you can't just whiz right through it.

Really, Baker's book has chord diagrams in it.

Like this:

g_chords_table.gif

You will need the book not just the chord diagrams because he tells you how to put the chords together.

The book is really inexpensive. You can get it for like $8.

So I am being sincere. Buy the book.

But be aware you will need to practice a lot.

I empathize with you. I have lots of books too.

Way to go Virg, I was going to give him 25 of the chords and make him spend the rest of his live trying to find the 26th chord ;) You come along and give me over 60 chords> jeez, the Internet these days.

There's some messed up naming in that list though. I like the underscores. Can you imagine naming a chord at rehearsal "hey, change that G chord to a G6 underscore 4 underscore chord"?

Way to go Virg, I was going to give him 25 of the chords and make him spend the rest of his live trying to find the 26th chord
;)
You come along and give me over 60 chords> jeez, the Internet these days.

There's some messed up naming in that list though. I like the underscores. Can you imagine naming a chord at rehearsal "hey, change that G chord to a G6 underscore 4 underscore chord"?

That's just a pic i got teh interwebs.

But I think you knew that. ;)

That's just a pic i got teh interwebs.

But I think you knew that.
;)

I did. It's almost silly to by books these days or even music and video because of the Internet.

I've had a Best Buy gift card for over 2 years now and periodically I'll go there determined to use it on a CD or DVD or a Book or something...and it's like "I can hear this anytime at music.myspace.com" or "I can rent this anytime from Netflix" or "I KNOW I can find this information 10 folds on the Internetz".

I still have it! I finally figured I finally use when I bought my son an SG just to get rid of it. But...I bought him an SG the other night...off Craiglist!!! (the Internet again!)

Extra "style points" for thematic development !

LOL... ok, Jed.. I'll bite...

SO THIS IS HOW THIS FORUM WORKS??? A guy repeats the phrase "So this is how this forum works...." and you bestow upon him "style points" as it were???

;)

THAT is called MILKING a theamatic idea.....

LOL

i just set up a facebook thing that gives you a new chord everyday and right now I'm posting drop-2 voicings for jazz guitar. link is in my sig if you wanna try it. not really structured as a lesson though, but it could help you with some basics

its probably just drop 2 and drop 3 voicings, in every inversion, for all of the basic major key chords

its not too difficult to learn 26 chords. however, if its one voicing for a multitude of chords then you might want o learn a little bit of theory along the way

Baker chords are rooted on the 6th and 5th and 4th strings for the most part. They are not drop chords (except for a few).

There are actually about 33 chords in the book.

I'm encouraging Runnerdad to get the book because the real value is not so much the chord voicings but how to put them together over progressions.

It's a really good book and presents things in a understandable way. Very practical book. And it's cheap at $8.

I apologize to Runnerdad if I came off badly. Not my intention. I just want to tell him it would not really help him to just learn a bunch of chord voicings.

The chords are very similar to those played in this video by Robert Conti. However, the book is NOT a chord melody course.

[YOUTUBE]gpyKugNjSno&feature=youtube_gdata[/YOUTUBE]

Nuther thing about these voicings is they self mute (somebody ask what that means) and they're all strummable. This is private reserve comp vet stuff.

Nuther thing about these voicings is they self mute (somebody ask what that means) and they're all strummable. This is private reserve comp vet stuff.

What that means?

;)