How would you go about learning this?

• Members

Start slowly - get the audio track of that version. Get it into "transcribe" or some other slow-downer app. Take your time and lift it piece by piece. It's pretty manageable me thinks.

Use the video to check where to find the lines and pick away.

+1

I love the fact that nowadays you can often see what people are playing on YouTube or wherever..really helps with learning tunes.

• Members
+1

I love the fact that nowadays you can often
see
what people are playing on YouTube or wherever..really helps with learning tunes.

No kidding, just seeing what position they are playing in and what "shapes" they are using makes all the difference in the world.

• Members

Would the tab for this be somewhere? I'm not familiar with the slow down apps you guys are talking about. If I had the tab, and the chords, I think I could watch it enough to figure it out, or get somebody locally to help me.

• Members

Start at the very first chord, Em...then take is phrase by phrase...(I did this just by watching, but it should be pretty close)...

E--0--------------------------------------

B--0-------8--10--8--10--8--10--8--10s12--

G--0----9---------------------------------

D--2--------------------------------------

A--2--------------------------------------

E--0--------------------------------------

E--0---0--0---------------------------------------

B--0---0--0------8--10--8--10--8--10s12s10--8-----

G--0---2--0---9--------------------------------9--9

D--2---3--2---------------------------------------

A--2---3--2---------------------------------------

E--0---0--0---------------------------------------

E--0---0--0---------------------------12---10---------

B--0---0--0------8--10--8--10--8--10--12---10--12--10--

G--0---2--0---9-----------------------12---11----------

D--2---3--2---------------------------10---0-----------

A--2---3--2--------------------------------------------

E--0---0--0--------------------------------------------

E--10--8---7------0------------------

B--9-------7--8----------0--0--0--0-

G--9-------8-------------0--2--2--0--

D--8-------7-------------2--3--3--2----

A--8-------9-------------2--3--4--2----

E----------7----------0-----0--0--0---

• Members
Mike,

Thanks so much. You are always so great about helping out. I really appreciate it...and you have helped me before with other stuff. Your trove of written material is one of the treasures I've found here.

No problem. Like I say it was only from watching so you might have to tweak it here and there.

• Members

I used the WMP for a while. There is comparision to it and the feature of Transcribe though. With WMP you can't go below 79 percent without garbling the audio. Plus the management in Transcribe is incredible.

I would not hesitate to get Transcribe today. Its more than worth the money.

• Members
I used the WMP for a while. There is comparision to it and the feature of Transcribe though. With WMP you can't go below 79 percent without garbling the audio. Plus the management in Transcribe is incredible.

I would not hesitate to get Transcribe today. Its more than worth the money.

i use audacity (free) slow speed down by 50%--- it'll be slower exactly by one octave, so transcribing is easier

• Members
i use audacity (free) slow speed down by 50%--- it'll be slower exactly by one octave, so transcribing is easier

So it actually brings it down an octave?

That's what my old turntable use to do at 16 speed. With it half speed and an octave lower you can hear the strings breathing. I learned off that turntable for about 7 years, it really help me understand the timbre of the strings in pin pointing where solo's where played.

But, Transcribe is far superior than just half step/octave down. It even has a keyboard in that that guesses what's being played at certain times. It's really handy when you have a noisy recording that's hard to make out. Plus you can take the vocals out, tune it to whatever pitch (I'm sure audacity does that too), and you can run the left or right side as a mono feed right from the software as opposed to sending it to a board to pan it straight up. There's a few other things.

I have the newer version downloaded but not installed yet.

Has anyone used the last release of Transcribe? I think it came out last summer or so.

• Members

Yeah, I'm on the latest version of Transcribe. I don't recall there being anything landmark in there, but it's definitely a must have as far as I am concerned. I use it every single day. Not just for slowing things down, but for looping just for rehearsing with the original etc etc. The fact that you can save loops is almost as precious as being able to slow down without changing the pitch...