can someone advise a terrible player on how to use the "super pentatonic"

• Members
hread

I gave the guy a link to probably the most comprehensive and easy to work through set of lessons directly related to his 'super pentatonic' scale. It has everything he's inquiring about and much more that would last him a lifetime of killer RnR playing...but he's too lazy.

It's free too! Even though I try to take people by the hand and show them the ways...I still only cater to the cheap and haven't been able to break the lazy barrier yet ;)

But I'm a strong willed bastard! And the Internet will succumb to me :p

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I gave the guy a link to probably the most comprehensive and easy to work through set of lessons directly related to his 'super pentatonic' scale. It has everything he's inquiring about and much more that would last him a lifetime of killer RnR playing...but he's too lazy.

It's free too! Even though I try to take people by the hand and show them the ways...I still only cater to the cheap and haven't been able to break the lazy barrier yet
;)

But I'm a strong willed bastard! And the Internet will succumb to me
:p

see the trouble is i have trouble motivating me to learn anything i don't really like in a context of a song... it just seems to much like work to learn to play licks im not interested in musically....
no offense to the time and effort you spent in making the lessons...
like the lick in lesson 3 bores me, the lick in lesson 4 sounds too "old white man blues" never cared much for SRV or Page (i know, heresy)

i would much rather have a page that shows you how in the Chuck Berry's solo to johnny b goode, at the beginning of the solo he repeatedly ( in the key of Bb) hammers from the m3 to the M3, and resolves it by hitting the octave against the Bb chord

(yes i know its the same concept found in the licks you provided, i just find berry's example more musical to my ear) ( and again im being extremely shallow here (i absolutely despise "that" tone in your clips. Your playing is great, but every time i hear that slightly fender clean sound i want to puke)

sorry if i seem extremly arrogant, your lessons did teach me diatonic chords

EDIT: actually after working through several examples i think i actually will use it after.... i just didn't jive with the first few licks and the tone in general
and the fact all the licks were played lower on the neck (yes i know) :facepalm:
i did like lick 7 sounds great going into other stuff

• Members

Carmen,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to play lines you don't like.

Why do you want to use this scale? What are you trying to say with it? Mike's examples demonstrate the sound of it. Maybe you don't like that scale in use but don't realize it.

A more organic approach is follow your ears and your heart. As you hear new sounds you like - learn them. Keep doing this and spend a lot of time lifting lines and songs. All this scale stuff kind of takes care of itself.

For example - I have been playing for almost 30 years (many of them professionally) and I only marginally know the diminished scale. Tonight, after rehearsal I was listening to Robben Ford. I felt compelled to grab parts of it - the diminished parts. This will likely launch me into an assault on that scale to get it inside. Only now I am motivated to do so.

I think often times we as musicians aren't ready to wield certain tools. The shapes mean nothing to me its the sounds I want. If you keep working they will come in due time. But learning a scale for the sake of knowing it is like buying a tile-cutting saw ... but you have no imminent need to cut tiles. So it sits mostly unused and before long - forgotten.

Get the tools you need today. With tomorrow may come the need for a new tool - or not. Either is cool. Guitar is a journey and a cumulative process.

Cheers!

• Members
see the trouble is i have trouble motivating me to learn anything i don't really like in a context of a song... it just seems to much like work to learn to play licks im not interested in musically....

like the lick in lesson 3 bores me, the lick in lesson 4 sounds too "old white man blues" never cared much for SRV or Page (i know, heresy)

i would much rather have a page that shows you how in the Chuck Berry's solo to johnny b goode, at the beginning of the solo he repeatedly ( in the key of Bb) hammers from the m3 to the M3, and resolves it by hitting the octave against the Bb chord

(yes i know its the same concept found in the licks you provided, i just find berry's example more musical to my ear) ( and again im being extremely shallow here (i absolutely despise "that" tone in your clips. Your playing is great, but every time i hear that slightly fender clean sound i want to puke)

sorry if i seem extremly arrogant, your lessons did teach me diatonic chords

EDIT: actually after working through several examples i think i actually will use it after.... i just didn't jive with the first few licks and the tone in general

and the fact all the licks were played lower on the neck (yes i know)
:facepalm:
i did like lick 7 sounds great going into other stuff

Don't get specific on lesson numbers, just work through them. I don't remember anything that's in them verbatim I just know that if you want to learn to use the mix of the Blues and Major Pentatonic scales from the same Root (like SO MANY players do) then THESE are the lessons you want to check out. I still haven't found anything that teaches that type portable concept to this day.

You complaining about lessons 3 and 4????...there are over 50 {censored}in' lessons in that tutorial. Keep workin' early scraper, as there are full song/solo transcription within the lessons that will change the way you look at guitar...you'll look at them like the pro's who played them.

I've showed it to my son this idea years ago and he doesn't know any music theory, doesn't practice scales, has no clues about Key or arpeggio's or anything...he just understands how to sound great and play like a kick ass guitarist...over difficult progressions too...and he better when we sit down and jam!

IOW, you can piss and moan about this and that, but these are proven, dues paid, avenues to the "super pentatonic" scale mastering that you were inquiring about. Take it or leave it, but remember 10 years from now if you don't take them...when you still don't get it...that you left it and of course they will probably still be online at http://lessons.mikedodge.com for you to finally get to.

The concept is a stupid idea, but it's effective, so damn effective that it is SOLID for Dominant based music. I mean it IS In The Mood by Glenn Miller, how solid is that???

IOW, don't make me start posting selections from these lessons to light a fire under your ass, that would take more of my time. So, just use them.

(JG, please don't ever mention my name again, ever again...or...well you'll never forget me...no matter how hard I try)

• Members

Well......just had to break my internet break (one gets more done when holding a guitar instead of a mouse :)) to thank Mike for the 55 lessons referred to here.

By the time I got to lesson six, I was playing killer blues guitar, as promised!

BEST LESSONS ON THE NET!

BEST LESSONS ON THE PLANET!

What a fkn star Mr Dodge is. All this for free!

The man gets better all the time. A gifted teacher who is really coming up with the goods these days.

So......

Thanks!

• Members

JG, please don't ever mention my name again, ever again...or...well you'll never forget me...no matter how hard I try)

Nice. Classy guy. You'd be much easier to forget if I didn't have to read your closed-minded arrogance in almost every single thread.

• Members

Ok, Carmen. Here comes 20 years of teaching comin' at ya.....

HORSE HOCKEY...this isn't the amp forum or else I'd cuss up a storm....:lol:

Dude, you are just making excuses. You don't want to learn from some legitimate material because you don't like the TONE??? You are not being arrogant, your being lazy. You admit that the ideas are what you are looking for but the examples aren't hip enough for you? Dang it junior, THAT IS YOUR JOB. What do you want, for a teacher to tell you WHAT to play in the EXACT way that YOU want to play it? C'mon man....you are making excuses.

The idea of any lesson that answers your questions, is to take the INFORMATION and apply it YOUR WAY. So gennation's music is not your idea of hip.....there is nothing wrong with that opinion....so take the same info he (and everyone here) is sharing with you and make it YOUR version of hip...um, duh....

Sorry for being so "rough" in my answer, but I'm sensing that you kind of know this deep down.:cop:

Listen Carmen, you did a good thing by coming here and asking. So why are you REALLY rejecting the info? What you are not getting is the fact that YOU must apply the concepts YOUR way. Remember, music is a language. Your excuses are the same as saying "I don't like that sentence cuz the guy who read it has ugly shoes.":eek:

There has been LOTS of good advice in this thread. Lean it, apply it, and make it yours. MAKE IT YOURS!!! ABSORB IT INTO YOUR VOCABULARY!!!!! PERSONALIZE THE INFORMATION AND FIT IT INTO THE STYLE YOU LIKE!!!!

That's why it's called APPLIED music theory.....:wave:

• Members

MAKE IT YOURS!!! ABSORB IT INTO YOUR VOCABULARY!!!!! PERSONALIZE THE INFORMATION AND FIT IT INTO THE STYLE YOU LIKE!!!!

That's why it's called APPLIED music theory.....
:wave:

:thu: This is pretty much what I try and do with everything I learn or steal. :o

• Members
:thu:
This is pretty much what I try and do with everything I learn or steal.
:o

That is how we move forward! And if I'm not completely delusional (:eek:), that is how personal artistic progress happens...take information and USE it in your own conception.

Also mo, the You Shook Me tip is dead on. I've taught that solo hundreds of times. Perfect example. 'Speshilly in WHEN Angus uses the major part and how it relates to what is going on in the chords.

• Members

Carmen

There really is no short path or secret to soloing. You NEED to know the chord changes so that you know where the resolve points are. "Chord tone soloing" is one of the great secrets if you will. If you just blindly grab a scale and start wanking your connections will only be accidental.

Some people can HEAR the changes - they know what and where they are.

Others need to learn them - then they know where they are.

There is no magic pill instead maybe start learning your arpeggios for major and minor and dominant chords across the neck. Begin the path by following the changes. These notes of these arps represent your resolve points. Begin learning them, start simple and slowly start adding in other scale notes to make it not so bland.

The shortcut - if there is one - is this. If your goal is to be a lead guitarist and a good one do yourself a favour and forget the whole "one size fits all" concept. Understand that it takes a lot of work and skill. So you need to get busy : )

Tough love brother!

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. The nail just flew out of the other side of the two by four, Jerey hit it so hard and dead on!! Go, Mr. Miyagi!

• Members
That is how we move forward! And if I'm not completely delusional (
:eek:
), that is how personal artistic progress happens...take information and USE it in your own conception.

Also mo, the You Shook Me tip is dead on. I've taught that solo hundreds of times. Perfect example. 'Speshilly in WHEN Angus uses the major part and how it relates to what is going on in the chords.

personally i think that solo is god awful... meh

• Members

thats what ive been doing

well as guitar players go, hendrix, van halen, uli jon roth, billy corgan, prince, james williamson would be main influences, as far as pentatonics are concerned

but its hard to make real sense of their note choice since a lot of the time they are playing against just a bass or power chords which makes almost everything work

case in point---- one of my favorite solos

[YOUTUBE]kzkXGIRaxcI[/YOUTUBE]

2:44

eddie just randomly changes keys

to Virgman: what a cheap shot

• Members

He's just changing the key of the scale when the chords change key, nothing magical (or random about it)..

You asked a question, got a {censored} load of good answers from the guys here, links to Gens site..

What more do you need ??

• Members

personally i think that solo is god awful... meh

Well, ok, but I guarantee you that the minor/major concepts you'll learn in that simple solo will help you understand more about what hendrix, van halen, Uli Roth etc are doing...your question is about using the "super pentatonic" right?....I could direct you to Jimmy Page's solo in "Communication Breakdown" for more minor/major usage examples or Uli Roths fantastic solos in "Backstage Queen" and "All Night Long" (particularly the "tokyo tapes" versions) which makes great use of the major pent/mixolydian/min pent..all of which are part of the "super pentatonic" but I think those two Roth solos are way harder to lift. :idk:..go for it though if you prefer his style.

Archived