can someone advise a terrible player on how to use the "super pentatonic"

• Members

basically the major+minor pentatonic on top of each other

over chords--- the more exotic notes in the pentatonic scales

like say in the Key of E,

if the chord is E minor, bends from D to E (15 on the b string fit really well)

or if its e major, you can play the G# over the I chord.

or like little random things like the jimmy page lick (the ending of the solo to stairway of heaven works well over the IV chord)

or maybe it would better as to what notes not to play

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the best thing to do to understand how the major/minor pentatonic work together in a rock solo..would be to lift as many Angus Young solo's as you can BY EAR!..and analyse where he changes from one to the other..the guy is a MASTER at it. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is a good, simple one to start with.

• Members

Try to emphasize the notes that are being played in the chord at the moment (chord tones).

And I'm too lazy to learn the notes of the fretboard but I'd sugget learn the notes instead of positions (or in addition to positions). Life will be much easier for you :o

• Members

I suggest learning crossroads by clapton. Even if slowly.

He blends maj and m pents seamlessly.

Here is a vid I did. I don't explain the licks but I play it slowed down. So it may help.

I also recommend the 3 frets down method for getting started. Over a I IV V, drop to the maj. on the IV chord. OR, start in maj and slip in some minor. There are no rules. Just learn the melody or sound of each scale, and you will be able to find on the guitar what you are hearing.

:wave:

• Members

I suggest learning crossroads by clapton. Even if slowly.

He blends maj and m pents seamlessly.

Here is a vid I did. I don't explain the licks but I play it slowed down. So it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoaA4mo5hw

I also recommend the 3 frets down method for getting started. Over a I IV V, drop to the maj. on the IV chord. OR, start in maj and slip in some minor. There are no rules. Just learn the melody or sound of each scale, and you will be able to find on the guitar what you are hearing.

:wave:

yes i've been trying to this with my favorite guitarists... but the trouble is a lot of times its just a bass backing them dont know what chords are happening.... (hendrix)

also... it seems you have an easier time improvising if you are the only guitarist..... (eddie van halen)

• Members

Here you go...

I have a 50+ example tutorial on this concept here: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/AdvPent/AvdPentTOC.htm

READ THE INTRODUCTION...

then work through the examples. Each example includes audio, tab, diagrams, explanation, etc...as needed.

This tutorial will get you not only playing things in the Super Imposed Scale (mixing the Blues and Major Pentatonic from the same Root) but it will also show YOU how to manipulate the concept and turn it into and endless array of creativity and inspiration.

And, it will you how it's used in Rock (ala Jimmy Page, Alvin Lee, Steve Lukather, Steve Vai, Hendrix, etc), Country (Albert Lee, Ricky Skaggs, Pete Anderson, Steve Morse, etc...) Fusion (John Mclaughlin, Steve Morse) and a few other styles that I don't remember.

In the end you will have a SERIOUS grasp on playing over Dominant based Rock, Country, etc...

It will show you how by just super imposing two common scales (the Blues scale and the Major Pentatonic scales) you end up with all of the chromatic lines you hear people adding into their playing, you'll develop and sense of Minor having tension against a dom7 chord and Major having resolution against a Dom7 chord, and again...

you'll learn how the lines are created and be able to create your own.

You may never look at the fretboard the same.

Enjoy!!! (and it's all free, not even a single ad!)

• Members

i liked your website genation

but i would just like a single page/list on all the exotic notes you can play against certain chords

like hendrix would often rapidly play 6ths between the G and high E strings

against the I chord (lets say its G) he would play 7x7 for the fifth and third

• Members

i liked your website genation

but i would just like a single page/list on all the exotic notes you can play against certain chords

like hendrix would often rapidly play 6ths between the G and high E strings

against the I chord (lets say its G) he would play 7x7 for the fifth and third

I'm posting from my phone right now but there is a few lessons in there that deal with 6th. There is one monster lesson that nothing but the 6ths found in the Super Imposed scale. Look through them you'll find. There's a few Hndrix lick the lessons too.

There's also a lesson in there that shows you the individual scales and the whole thing as it looks when there super imposed on each. Together they give you the maj pent, min pent, blues, dorian, mixolydian, lydian dominant, etc as well as partial whole and diminished scales.

Once you see them all together you'll realize you have every note to choose from...

Working through those lessons will show how to use them.

• Members

yeah i know... im just really lazy and just wish somebody had made one a simple page of the entire thing

and ending like what notes you
should
end a phrase on against a certain chord...

Hmm. Should? Avoid that one.

What Mo said. And I think you have plenty of knowledge.More than many great players. Use your ear. It seems like you are over thinking it at this point.

Just imo! Trying to help!

• Members

Satriani shows an exercise where he simply runs through the modes over an E pedal point. You can easily adapt this drill to piano style foraging. Play the E, let sustain. Start trying notes and patterns. Note the colors you get - wrong notes and all. Wander around but always make your way back to the E tonality. You can toggle in the A pedal point for variety. Make songs, get lost - it's all painless, harmless, and wonderful ear training.

• Members

Satriani shows an exercise where he simply runs through the modes over an E pedal point. You can easily adapt this drill to piano style foraging. Play the E, let sustain. Start trying notes and patterns. Note the colors you get - wrong notes and all. Wander around but always make your way back to the E tonality. You can toggle in the A pedal point for variety. Make songs, get lost - it's all painless, harmless, and wonderful ear training.

yeah but the thing it seems its a lot easier to improvise over just a bass line or just power chords cuz you get a lot less dissonances

so is there some magic way that one can improvise a solo over a basic chord progression without knowing what the chords are beforehand? it DOES that all the great live guitar albums i have really just have one guitar player to improvise over a bluesy sounding bass track so the guitar player can just show off whatever

for example i can't really improvise that well over open chords in a major key..i might be able to write a solo beforehand by ear....

but then if you just change the progression to E-G-A-C

(all power chords) improvising becomes extremely easy

• Members

yeah but the thing it seems its a lot easier to improvise over just a bass line or just power chords cuz you get a lot less dissonances

so is there some magic way that one can improvise a solo over a basic chord progression without knowing what the chords are beforehand?
it DOES that all the great live guitar albums i have really just have one guitar player to improvise over a bluesy sounding bass track so the guitar player can just show off whatever

No

• Members

yeah but the thing it seems its a lot

for example i can't really improvise that well over open chords in a major key..i might be able to write a solo beforehand by ear....

Power chords are just the Root and the 5th, so theres no major/minor 3rd in there to tell you whats going on.

You asked if there is a magic formula to soloing if you dont know the chords before hand? knowing what key its in would let you know.

Pentatonics are pretty simple to use when you get going..

Some basic ideas would be

Key of A, use Aminor pentatonic/ A major Pentatonic

Key of G, use Gminor / G major

etc

etc

It sounds like you might what to leave the exotic notes and just concentrate on getting the basics down first.

• Members

its in would let you know.

Pentatonics are pretty simple to use when you get going..

Some basic ideas would be

Key of A, use Aminor pentatonic/ A major Pentatonic

Key of G, use Gminor / G major

etc

etc

It sounds like you might what to leave the exotic notes and just concentrate on getting the basics down first.

yeah except in concept i find that a lot of the notes in the A minor pentatonic/Amajor pentatonic dont work very well against certain chords in the key of A

• Members

yeah except in concept i find that a lot of the notes in the A minor pentatonic/Amajor pentatonic dont work very well against certain chords in the key of A

Key of A major AM Bm C#m DM EM F#m G#dim

A minor pentatonic A C D E G

A major pentatonic A B C# E F#

What chords would you use for the key of A, as in, what chords are you having trouble with?

Great thing about pentatonics is, you can bend the notes to make them fit...

• Members

Key of A major AM Bm C#m DM EM F#m G#dim

A minor pentatonic A C D E G

A major pentatonic A B C# E F#

What chords would you use for the key of A ?

well for one if you use A minor pentatonic, you have to make sure not to play C, but play C# instead

in major pentatonic E doesn't sound very good played against D major

• Members

well for one if you use A minor pentatonic, you have to make sure not to play C, but play C# instead

in major pentatonic E doesn't sound very good played against D major

You mean dont play a C note over C# chord, then yes your right..

C in A minor pentatontic is the flat 3rd, that makes it minor..

• Members

yeah i know... im just really lazy and just wish somebody had made one a simple page of the entire thing

and ending like what notes you should end a phrase on against a certain chord...

Well, like I said...look through the lessons as there's a lesson that has both scales individually and then super imposed as fretboard diagrams...it's all on one "page" too. But you'll find in the super imposed scale that you have pretty much every note to choose from...

TODAY you have every note to choose from...but your still asking questions...questions about what notes to end on. EACH of those lessons ends on a note, it's not always the same note either.,,so you'll learn notes to end on starting in the very first lesson.

If you ever want to learn how to use that "super pentatonic" scale, the lessons are always there. Other wise if your too lazy to take what I can show you for free I also give lessons via Skype online. I can teach you TONS about this stuff and TONS more. I can even show you note for note Hendrix solo's and help you break them down...I've been doing it for decades.

But at this point in your playing I bet if you spent a weekend with those free lessons you'll learn more about what others are playing in one weekend than you have in years, or how ever long you've been playing even. And one weekend will show you more than you may even learn about this stuff as there aren't very many people teaching it in a way that you can own and use for ever as opposed to the common "here's 10 licks" idea a lot of lessons cover.

PM me the lessons if you're interested in going beyond the free stuff.

You asked about that scale and those are some straight ahead serious lessons about exactly what you're asking about. At least find the examples that show the scale diagrams and also the lesson on 6th's. The lesson on 6th's will have you playing more 6th's than you ever though possible...and still be playing something that sounds good.

• Members

I think the best thing to do to understand how the major/minor pentatonic work together in a rock solo..would be to lift as many Angus Young solo's as you can BY EAR!..and analyse where he changes from one to the other..the guy is a MASTER at it. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is a good, simple one to start with.

Good shout Mo :thu:

• Members

so is there some magic way that one can improvise a solo over a basic chord progression without knowing what the chords are beforehand? it DOES that all the great live guitar albums i have really just have one guitar player to improvise over a bluesy sounding bass track so the guitar player can just show off whatever

If you avoid all dissonance you end pretty bland. Might as well be nursery rhymes. Melodic playing is full of non harmonic tones. They create tension and color. You need to know them first and then how to treat them.

• Members

Carmen

There really is no short path or secret to soloing. You NEED to know the chord changes so that you know where the resolve points are. "Chord tone soloing" is one of the great secrets if you will. If you just blindly grab a scale and start wanking your connections will only be accidental.

Some people can HEAR the changes - they know what and where they are.

Others need to learn them - then they know where they are.

There is no magic pill instead maybe start learning your arpeggios for major and minor and dominant chords across the neck. Begin the path by following the changes. These notes of these arps represent your resolve points. Begin learning them, start simple and slowly start adding in other scale notes to make it not so bland.

The shortcut - if there is one - is this. If your goal is to be a lead guitarist and a good one do yourself a favour and forget the whole "one size fits all" concept. Understand that it takes a lot of work and skill. So you need to get busy : )

Tough love brother!

• Moderators

There really is no short path or secret to soloing. You NEED to know the chord changes so that you know where the resolve points are. "Chord tone soloing" is one of the great secrets if you will. If you just blindly grab a scale and start wanking your connections will only be accidental.

Some people can HEAR the changes - they know what and where they are.

Others need to learn them - then they know where they are.

There is no magic pill instead maybe start learning your arpeggios for major and minor and dominant chords across the neck. Begin the path by following the changes. These notes of these arps represent your resolve points. Begin learning them, start simple and slowly start adding in other scale notes to make it not so bland.

The shortcut - if there is one - is this. If your goal is to be a lead guitarist and a good one do yourself a favour and forget the whole "one size fits all" concept. Understand that it takes a lot of work and skill. So you need to get busy : )

Well said!

Archived