Buzz problem when lifting off a note

Tabletop

• Members

I was wondering about something I've noticed lately when playing my electric. I don't get buzzing when playing a note, but when lifting my finger off the fretboard, if I lift too quickly the note will ring out. I usually just try to lift slower or palm mute.

However, if I lift slowly while the note is still ringing, it will buzz on the same fret that I am playing. The slower I am in lifting, the louder the buzz. Is this a problem with the action or relief, or is this a problem with the frets themselves, or is this a problem with technique? I have the relief and action set pretty low.

• Members

It's technique. As you've noticed, the slower you lift your finger, the more it buzzes. So the answer is - lift quicker!

You need to lift the string quickly off the fret, but keep touching the string - don't let your finger off the string. If you need to lift your finger off the string - to move to another note - do it slowly and/or carefully.

This may slow you down for the moment, but it's an essential technique to develop.

Experiment with controlling how the string comes off the fret - just squeezing it down and letting it up, but never taking your finger off. This is refining your fret muting technique, as well as fixing that buzz.

Also, keep your finger as close behind the fretwire as you can. The further back your finger is (towards the fret below) the more the string will buzz on releasing.

When lifting the finger off the string, do it gently and straight up. Don't move it sideways, or you risk an inadvertent pull-off. Never let the fingertips move too far away from the string either- they need to be ready for whatever the next note is.

These are very subtle little moves, but worth thinking about to begin with. Your hands will eventually learn to do it without you thinking about it. Experienced players do this all the time subconsciously - which is why they ofen forget to tell you about it when teaching!

• Members

Thanks for the tips! I will work on that.

On a slightly different note, I've also noticed that lower action makes the buzzing on lifting worse. Is that a common observation? Should that limit the action you use or do you just get better and better with technique to compensate?

• Members

It's technique. As you've noticed, the slower you lift your finger, the more it buzzes. So the answer is - lift quicker!

You need to lift the string quickly off the fret, but
keep touching the string
- don't let your finger off the string. If you need to lift your finger off the string - to move to another note - do it slowly and/or carefully.

This may slow you down for the moment, but it's an essential technique to develop.

Experiment with controlling how the string comes off the fret - just squeezing it down and letting it up, but never taking your finger off. This is refining your fret muting technique, as well as fixing that buzz.

Also, keep your finger as close behind the fretwire as you can. The further back your finger is (towards the fret below) the more the string will buzz on releasing.

When lifting the finger off the string, do it gently and straight up. Don't move it sideways, or you risk an inadvertent pull-off. Never let the fingertips move too far away from the string either- they need to be ready for whatever the next note is.

These are very subtle little moves, but worth thinking about to begin with. Your hands will eventually learn to do it without you thinking about it. Experienced players do this all the time subconsciously - which is why they ofen forget to tell you about it when teaching!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Members

You need to lift the string quickly off the fret, but
keep touching the string
- don't let your finger off the string. If you need to lift your finger off the string - to move to another note - do it slowly and/or carefully.

Well said. Muting is so important yet it seems it's a hard topic to find info on as far as the interwebs go :/ One of those things that you have to figure out for yourself to a degree and for your play style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow....great timing. Thank you JonR.

I'm new to guitar after playing bass for decades. Just got telecaster and started practicing last week. Noticed all this ringing while practicing scale and "spider" exercises. Was driving me nuts as I pride myself on being a really clean bass player. Then I went and checked out my bass playing and voila! I leave my fingers on the strings.

Like you said....very experienced player and I never really even noticed how I muted all these years or thought much about it.

Anyone have any exercises to suggest to get this solid?

Archived