Kirk Hammett Hate

• Members

Can I just add that seeing Metallica on the "justice for all" tour was one of the best 5 shows I've ever seen. They had an incredible amount of energy, and though I stand by my comments regarding Lars' drumming..I didn't really care as the overall sound was so good. It was right at the start of the tour and we all knew that we were never going to see them in that particular venue again..it was quite small and they had clearly outgrown it.

I first saw them on the "Ride the Lightning" tour and then "MoP" with Anthrax supporting which was also a "Top 10" show. Sure enough, next time we saw them was at Wembley for the "Black" album tour, and though I like that record..something was already missing from the live show. Just that "edge" seemed to have gone. Saw them again at the end of that tour, and they were awful, sloppy and complacent. Lost interest after that.

But, I won't forget the sheer thrill of hearing "The Four Horsemen" or "Fight Fire with Fire" for the first time. :rawk: :rawk:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah Mo! REMEMBER that? Remember how awesome they sounded together? They made a sound together that was so intense and cool I wasn't listening to the individual parts (which is odd for me). It was there warts and all and a {censored} you attitude to boot. They moved as a unit through complex arrangements and stops so tight you could hear a pin drop. Seriously GOOD band then. Anthrax was awesome too!

• Members

Sorry dudes but I must rant for a second.

Seriously guys, I love the way some of you schluff off the oh "selling millions of albums" aspect! Metallica will go down in history as one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. Whether you like them or not MILLIONS of people DO - VERY MUCH enough to spend their hard earned money on.

Metallica hit the scene as an underground band when I was a young teenager and they were FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC! Tight, Aggressive - they did much to DEFINE the sound of aggressive rock. {censored} they were good! I saw them on Ride the Lightning and Master tours and they blew my mind. James with his jackhammer of a picking hand and awesome vocals - singing WHILE playing over tight syncopated riffs AND running around like madmen on stage. Try it before you they suck. Their riff writing skills are INSANE.

Yet here we sit years after their prime with some of us calling them {censored}??? Are you guys on crack? To be clear I HATE what they have become today. But my memory is not that short that I will EVER refer to them as {censored}. ANY of them. They earned their right to be old, fat and complacent. Their contribution to the music scene is 100000000000000 fold what ANYONE here's is.

There is a "skill" to being able to be flexible, to being tolerant. To be able to hold together something that is really good despite the fact that it may frustrate you. To being able to nail your part under the pressure of recording. Kirk has fit in and helped make Metallica make all that music. He has played a role and even if it is a lesser one it is still a sizable accomplishment. I don't know the guy nor do I care to. Dude CAN play... maybe not as well as many but what he may lack in chops he certainly makes up for in other areas.

It's not EASY by any means to emotionally move people with your music. MUCH harder than ripping up and down some harmonic minor scale at high RPMs.

Being a guitar player is great - but using those abilities to serve yourself AND others is better IMO. I urge you to cut the armchair QB stuff and have the courage to TRY to do better.

My 2cents

Amen to that brother.

• Members
I dunno, to me you just bit yourself in the butt when you said something to the fact that "yeah, when I was 14 years old, yeah, I used to try to play his stuff, and yeah I could play it." But hell yeah, now, psh, the dude effing sucks man!!!!! I can't stand him! He's HORRIBLE!

:facepalm:

I dont care if you say you hate him as a guitarist or not, he obviously helped you become a better guitarist somehow. And that in itself is complement to Mr. Hammett vicariously because he probably was a little bit of inspiration for you starting out to "get dem fingers moving a little quicker" or "one day i will nail this solo and become twice the superstar he is!!"

Noneless, he opened your eyes to technically better guitar playing. Also realize that probably 80% of metallica's fans cannot play a lick of guitar. Thus he is idolized.

Hate is a strong word my friend.

The dude has chops tho for sure.

I disagree.... I learned his stuff because if you wanted to play with kids in Israel when I was in high school, you HAD TO PLAY METALLICA SONGS... Metallica was HUGE at that point in Israel... I never liked it or aspired to play that stuff.. I learned Steve Vai's stuff off of Passion and Warfare at the same time, and THAT STUFF saved me from sounding like Kirk Hammett.

I never aspired to be wice the superstar anyone is/has been... I just like to play music and play it competently, as welll as express myself across an array of styles/genres.

I was never a fan of Kir kHammett's playing, not even when I was learning his songs...

imean, nowadays I learn a Celine Dion song every once in a while, if I have to play it for a wedding. That doesn't make me a fan of her music, nor do I learn anything that aids me in anything by learning it. It's a paycheck.

• Members

LOL Friedman=washed up,Becker =paralyzed, Dime=wormbait, Zakk might actually have the chops but wouldnt deal with JH or LU's bs, Slash doesnt have the chops for speed metal, Petrucci may have the chops but not the style, Campbell has turned sugar . In short even those on your list with the chops wouldnt fit in the band. I tend to agree with kooter82.

Obviously I am not talking about people who are waiting to get on that gig. Point is I know people in my personal life that could EASILY rock that gig better than Kirk Hammett... Now, for instrance, you say petrucci has the chops but not the style?!?!?!

Have you listened to DT cover master of Puppets the album??? HE SLAYS KIRK HAMMETT ON THOSE RECORINGS!!! he plays better versions of every solo. Debate THAT...

Slash doesn't have the chops?? Obviously you haven't listened to enough of his work. Homeboy is a shredder in disguise... Listen to the outro of Paradise City, just for one tiny example of a guy that is too tasty to wank all the time getting some gratification... he RIPS on that solo and you never see it coming... He also (unbeknownst to many) can rock the flamenco and the more heavy shred inflected metal stuff... just cuz he DOESN'T doesn't mean he can't.

Campbell has gone SUGAR?!?!? Sure Def Leppard is gay... but a good guitarist is a good guitarist.. i am not a huge fan of Extreme, but I love Nuno Bettencourt. I don't love all Queen songs but I love Brian may... I certainly don't love all Megadeth songs, but I adore Marty Friedman...

I squarely disagree with your argument. Any of these guys would make Metallica a better band.

• Members

Sorry dudes but I must rant for a second.

Seriously guys, I love the way some of you schluff off the oh "selling millions of albums" aspect! Metallica will go down in history as one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. Whether you like them or not MILLIONS of people DO - VERY MUCH enough to spend their hard earned money on.

Metallica hit the scene as an underground band when I was a young teenager and they were FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC! Tight, Aggressive - they did much to DEFINE the sound of aggressive rock. {censored} they were good! I saw them on Ride the Lightning and Master tours and they blew my mind. James with his jackhammer of a picking hand and awesome vocals - singing WHILE playing over tight syncopated riffs AND running around like madmen on stage. Try it before you they suck. Their riff writing skills are INSANE.

Yet here we sit years after their prime with some of us calling them {censored}??? Are you guys on crack? To be clear I HATE what they have become today. But my memory is not that short that I will EVER refer to them as {censored}. ANY of them. They earned their right to be old, fat and complacent. Their contribution to the music scene is 100000000000000 fold what ANYONE here's is.

There is a "skill" to being able to be flexible, to being tolerant. To be able to hold together something that is really good despite the fact that it may frustrate you. To being able to nail your part under the pressure of recording. Kirk has fit in and helped make Metallica make all that music. He has played a role and even if it is a lesser one it is still a sizable accomplishment. I don't know the guy nor do I care to. Dude CAN play... maybe not as well as many but what he may lack in chops he certainly makes up for in other areas.

It's not EASY by any means to emotionally move people with your music. MUCH harder than ripping up and down some harmonic minor scale at high RPMs.

Being a guitar player is great - but using those abilities to serve yourself AND others is better IMO. I urge you to cut the armchair QB stuff and have the courage to TRY to do better.

My 2cents

I don't think Metallica is {censored}.. I lvoe Metallica's songs and grooves and riffs.. even the solos that Cliff Burton and Hetfield wrote are nice, even if/when played by Kirk...

I just think Kirk Hammett has an annoying voice on the guitar that I hate listening to. His tone, phrasing, {censored}ty vibrato and awful melodic sensibility leaves me cold and uninspired.

You say Metallica has sold millions and people spent their hard earned money on their albums. They did the same for Kenny G, Nickelback, Celine Dion, AfroMan, Warrant, Poison, Unkle Cracker... shall I go on?? the point is (moreso now than ever) the public, and in particular the AMERICAN public, is fickle and has a herd mentality and will listen to/like whatever it is EXPOSED TO AND IS TOLD TO LIKE!!!

Metallica didn't sell NEARLY AS MANY ALBUMS before the black album came out (which all hardcore fans hated, incidentally) and brought them into vogue wit hte public at large, at which point everyone started going back and ordering their back catalog.

Jamiroquai was my favorite band in highschool, before I moved back to the states... That was in like 91-92.. In 96 they blew up here with "Virtual Insanity" and all of a sudden everyone loved them and they sold millions of records...

Selling millions of records is not that difficult if you have a marketing team committed to having you sell them.

It's longevity... it's legacy.... it's respect.... it's integrity...

If you think that selling a lot of albums is the be all and end all... then perhaps your record collection should reflect that... you got a Lady Gaga record??? Black Eyed Peas??? Gwen Stefani solo albums?!?!?!

Maybe you should get tham, cuz apparently they're amazing, since alot of people bought them....

See why this is a silly argument?!?

• Members

Obviously I am not talking about people who are waiting to get on that gig. Point is I know people in my personal life that could EASILY rock that gig better than Kirk Hammett..

Thats a bold statement, really, easily in front of 100'000 people??

• Members

[quote Have you listened to DT cover master of Puppets the album??? HE SLAYS KIRK HAMMETT ON THOSE RECORINGS!!! he plays better versions of every solo. Debate THAT...
QUOTE]

Yet the only people who like Dream Theater are guitar players pretty much? They do nothing for non muso's???

• Members

Thats a bold statement, really, easily in front of 100'000 people??

Yes, easily. In front of 100, or 100,000.

I am friends with some pretty heavy cats, bro. They don't spook in front of crowds and are just uperb musicians.

I have played in front of very large crowds myself, when I toured with UB40, Gloria Estefan, etc. Some people don't get the jitters....

• Members
Have you listened to DT cover master of Puppets the album??? HE SLAYS KIRK HAMMETT ON THOSE RECORINGS!!! he plays better versions of every solo. Debate THAT...

QUOTE]

Yet the only people who like Dream Theater are guitar players pretty much? They do nothing for non muso's???

regardless, the argument was the Petrucci would be a better choice for metllica's sound... I think he is a far better guitarist, more versatile, tastire, has better tone, etc.

• Members

I don't think Metallica is {censored}.. I lvoe Metallica's songs and grooves and riffs.. even the solos that Cliff Burton and Hetfield wrote are nice, even if/when played by Kirk...

I just think Kirk Hammett has an annoying voice on the guitar that I hate listening to. His tone, phrasing, {censored}ty vibrato and awful melodic sensibility leaves me cold and uninspired.

You say Metallica has sold millions and people spent their hard earned money on their albums. They did the same for Kenny G, Nickelback, Celine Dion, AfroMan, Warrant, Poison, Unkle Cracker... shall I go on?? the point is (moreso now than ever) the public, and in particular the AMERICAN public, is fickle and has a herd mentality and will listen to/like whatever it is EXPOSED TO AND IS TOLD TO LIKE!!!

Metallica didn't sell NEARLY AS MANY ALBUMS before the black album came out (which all hardcore fans hated, incidentally) and brought them into vogue wit hte public at large, at which point everyone started going back and ordering their back catalog.

Jamiroquai was my favorite band in highschool, before I moved back to the states... That was in like 91-92.. In 96 they blew up here with "Virtual Insanity" and all of a sudden everyone loved them and they sold millions of records...

Selling millions of records is not that difficult if you have a marketing team committed to having you sell them.

It's longevity... it's legacy.... it's respect.... it's integrity...

If you think that selling a lot of albums is the be all and end all... then perhaps your record collection should reflect that... you got a Lady Gaga record??? Black Eyed Peas??? Gwen Stefani solo albums?!?!?!

Maybe you should get tham, cuz apparently they're amazing, since alot of people bought them....

See why this is a silly argument?!?

Danny, respectfully this isnt a silly argument... honestly dude your comparables are a little silly (your point is clear though). I say they are silly because Metallica "made it" in the traditional sense. They were kids, formed a band, wrote music, said {censored} you to the system, built a following based on YEARS of grueling live touring and succeeded DESPITE the fact that the industry wanted them NOT to. That type of music got virtually NO marketing support as compared to the bubblegum on the list you sent.

They are the real deal like them or hate them. All these things on your list (It's longevity... it's legacy.... it's respect.... it's integrity...) they HAD all those things before the massive money and industry support corrupted them.

I am not a believer in record sales alone but in some instances the evidence is too overwhelming to ignore. When bands can go on for decades writing things people still want to hear you need to consider it may have merit.

Are you really saying Metallica and Lady Gaga are comparables man? Really?

• Members

regardless, the argument was the Petrucci would be a better choice for metllica's sound... I think he is a far better guitarist, more versatile, tastire, has better tone, etc.

I dont think he would, it would then become Metallica with John Pretrucci which would suck (in my opnion) Like when Zakk Wylde joined Guns (for about 3 practices), it just wouldnt work.

• Members

Danny, respectfully this isnt a silly argument... honestly dude your comparables are a little silly (your point is clear though). I say they are silly because Metallica "made it" in the traditional sense. They were kids, formed a band, wrote music, said {censored} you to the system, built a following based on YEARS of grueling live touring and succeeded DESPITE the fact that the industry wanted them NOT to. That type of music got virtually NO marketing support as compared to the bubblegum on the list you sent.

They are the real deal like them or hate them. All these things on your list (It's longevity... it's legacy.... it's respect.... it's integrity...) they HAD all those things before the massive money and industry support corrupted them.

I am not a believer in record sales alone but in some instances the evidence is too overwhelming to ignore. When bands can go on for decades writing things people still want to hear you need to consider it may have merit.

Are you really saying Metallica and Lady Gaga are comparables man? Really?

No, I am saying that record sales don't make a band great. Greatness does.

Are they great as a band? Yes. I love alot of their music.. I even revcently relearned ...And Justice For All and Blackened's riffs... I just think the solos are weak.... not the "melodic" solos usually composed by Cliff or James (as in the beginning of Fade to Black, Battery, Sanitarium, etc.) just Hammetts' wankfests....

I agree wit hyou that Metallica is a great band. They were grassroots and they made it. BUT, they did not MAKE IT MAKE IT until they released an album that resonated with a greater faction of the world... At that point, they were SOLD into greatness (greatness as defined by the masses, not us, necessarily...)

I don't disagree wit hyour view on METALLICA, but I do disagree wit hyour thoughts on Kirk Hammett.

• Members

I dont think he would, it would then become Metallica with John Pretrucci which would suck (in my opnion) Like when Zakk Wylde joined Guns (for about 3 practices), it just wouldnt work.

I think you're being very closed minded.. Also, I am not saying they need to fire Kirk NOW and get someone else.. i am jsut saying IF THEY HAD SOMEONE ELSE from the get-go, the band would have sounded pretty much the same except they would have a guitarist with better vibrato, cooler solos and more interesting things to contribute on a rhythm guitar front, as well... There are MANY instances where bands replaced members adn either improved or stayed at the same level.. there are also examples of that sort of move crippling the band.. If you think that Kirk Hammett is really a huge factor in metallica's sound, then you obviously like HIM far more than you like THEM. Objectively listening, I (and many omany others...) think that Kirk is sort of an unneeded sound that could easily be replaced by a myriad of different players that would have enhanced the music far more...

Lars may not be the greatest drummer in the worldf, but he wrote alot of those riffs and is sort of like the "Ringo Star of Metal"... His parts may be unorthodox or sometimes crappy, but they work....

I hear alot of Hammetts' solos and the note choices really make me cringe... Then the vibrato does the same... and the tone...

I just think he is a crappy guitarist that can play crappy very fast.... and can tap....

Why is that such a disaster for me to think??? The guy is a wanker....

• Members

Well, it's time for a vote.

Whoever wants to let Danny into our Kirk Hammett/Metallica Fanboy Club raise their hand...

Ok, let's see...uh huh...:thu:...uh hmm...yes, I see you over there waving :wave:...uhh...umm...ok then.

And now against Danny joining. Raise your hands.

Uh huh...:poke:...er hmmm...yes...:wave:...ok...:mad:...hmmm...:blah:...right oh...

Danny, I'm sorry but you didn't make it. Maybe next year...:cry:

;)

• Members
Kirk Hammett actually uses this one exotic mode alot... it's called the Dickso{censored}ian mode.... it goes up in minor turds.

;)

The {censored}ian modes are used often by metal guitarists.

Another common is the Pieceashtian which is the 6th dickso{censored}ian mode and Bull{censored}ian which is the 4th mode. It is useful over Assminor7th and Buttmajor9 chords.

;)

• Members

No, I am saying that record sales don't make a band great. Greatness does.

Are they great as a band? Yes. I love alot of their music.. I even revcently relearned ...And Justice For All and Blackened's riffs... I just think the solos are weak.... not the "melodic" solos usually composed by Cliff or James (as in the beginning of Fade to Black, Battery, Sanitarium, etc.) just Hammetts' wankfests....

I agree wit hyou that Metallica is a great band. They were grassroots and they made it. BUT, they did not MAKE IT MAKE IT until they released an album that resonated with a greater faction of the world... At that point, they were SOLD into greatness (greatness as defined by the masses, not us, necessarily...)

I don't disagree wit hyour view on METALLICA, but I do disagree wit hyour thoughts on Kirk Hammett.

We arent arguing are we? I am OK to not agree. Just discussing.

Danny, Dont get me wrong dude, I never said Kirk was the {censored}. I hear what you are saying and 100% "conceptually" agree. However life has taught me that chemistry is a far more elusive thing. To me you cannot undervalue chemistry bottom line. I have seen time and again is music and sports "dream teams" seldom win. Why? I sure as hell don't know?? Wish I did. Fact is they made great music together the sum is usually greater than the parts.

Would Metallica have been better with Petrucci et al ?? On paper sure.

In reality.....???

To me a bird in the hand is always better than two in the bush.

Kirk IS part of Metallica

George Harrison was a pretty mediocre player, so was Paul AND John and Ringo was barely holding on. Michael Anthony played bass parts a 10 year old can play Kirk Cobain was a garage level guitarist. Neil Young is the sloppiest mess you will ever hear. Bob Dylan cant sing. I believe all these things but NONE of it diminishes my respect for any one of them.

I think you are being rather hard in your critique. If someone on this board posted a solo like one of Kirk's you would probably think the cat was pretty good. Over-rated? Sure man yup. But {censored}? Not from this corner.

• Members

Kirk is a perfect fit for Metallica...Is he the greatest guitarist?? Not by a long shot, but he has skills. IMO he is much better in the studio than live, could use a little less wah nowdays but i got love for Kirk...big 'tallica fan. Wish i "sucked" half as bad as he does!!:thu:

• Members

I said Petrucci had the chops -the "style" I refered to was that he isnt a headbanger. He has the stage presence of a Pumpkin! KH moves around onstage and gets into the music and yes that means sometimes he will start a solo on the wrong fret. You think 90% of the crowd gives a {censored}? At least we know its not a tape playing and the stacks arent cardboard. I know its only rock n roll but I like it.

Archived