Greatest melodic guitarists

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve Kimock

And Bill Frisell only gets mentioned once!?

Oi vey....

Well, that's twice now.

Bill Frisell

Now it's 3 times! :D

I always liked his treatment of Shenandoah:

Not so much about melody specifically I guess - more ambience and sonority - but when the melody (or variations on it) does make appearances: gorgeous!

He's like a chemist: extracting the essential active ingredients of the tune (as the original "natural compound") - the melodic intervals, the folk beauty - and then recreating them artificially in vast industrial quantities - spilling all over the place. Hey grab it folks, it's cheap, its free! So, the product gets a little contaminated with blues towards the end (5:40), but that's stuff's in the air and all over the factory floor anyhow, does no harm.

Who'd have thought an old folk tune had so much in it?

• Members

You all have mentioned a lot of the players I was going to mention. It's hard to think of one that hasn't been mentioned... but I did.

Carl Verheyen - the melodic playing I'm thinking of is at about 2:20 and then at about 4:30. I suggest you listen to it all to get it in context. (now if I can just figure out how to post a youtube video... ah ha I think I got it)

http://youtu.be/EVSoDWxTaHU

No that didn't seem to work... well you've got the link anyways

• Members

Tommy Emmanuel. hord melodies helped me with a lot, but my listening has become so much better since I need to hear/sing the melody with it. The thing I always like about him as opposed to a lot of the big acoustic guys now, are his songs aren't complicated or technique oriented (though he has plenty to share), most of them could be a James Taylor song, he just has such feel and an incredible way to put the melody and the song first. That's something I highly admire about him.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

In the melodic blues/jazz genre i can mention:

Uffe Steen: Danish jazz and blues guitarist is extremely melodic, techical and versatile - and he plays with the strings reversed :D

Derek Trucks: A wizard on the slide, very melodic soloing, and insane energy

Pat Metheny: Great jazz guitarist, who also uses guitar synth a lot - and he does it very well. Also a brilliant composer and great on the acoustic!

And all the guys have this in common: They really know how to build up a solo! And they are some of the best improvisers I've heard.

Honorable mention: Mark Knopfler ;)

Archived