I wanted to play like that when I was 17

girevik

• Members

what you mean by pocket exactly? Playing lead lines that fit in with the flow of the ryhthm?

cheers

Yes - locking right in with the beat. It's the one thing that marks out professionals from amateurs, IMO. They sound good not because of how fast they play or what brilliant ideas they have, but because their timing is solid. That's why they sound great even when playing something dead simple.

It's about being in complete control of rhythm, so that you can be right on the beat most of the time, but choose to be a little early or late sometimes for a special effect.

This is why metronome practice is so important. Playing along to drum tracks or rhythm tracks is also good, but it can be less clear to you when you're out of time. The metronome is better at helping you train your own internal clock, because it provides minimal timing info, forcing you to subdivide beats correctly. So a slow metronome setting is more valuable than a fast one, because it's tougher. (Although you should work with both.)

• Members

Yes - locking right in with the beat. It's the one thing that marks out professionals from amateurs, IMO. They sound good not because of how fast they play or what brilliant ideas they have, but because their timing is
solid.
That's why they sound great even when playing something dead simple.

It's about being in complete control of rhythm, so that you can be right on the beat most of the time, but choose to be a little early or late sometimes for a special effect.

This is why metronome practice is so important. Playing along to drum tracks or rhythm tracks is also good, but it can be less clear to you when you're out of time. The metronome is better at helping you train your own internal clock, because it provides minimal timing info, forcing you to subdivide beats correctly. So a slow metronome setting is more valuable than a fast one, because it's tougher. (Although you should work with both.)

cool but to play in pocket one must know the song/ryhtm/chord progression very well before they attempt there lead play?

• Members

cool but to play in pocket one must know the song/ryhtm/chord progression very well before they attempt there lead play?

You do need to know the entire tune (rhythm, chords, melody) before you are ready to record a solo over a tune like that. And yes you need to be able to play the melody and chords in time with the music too, and that is where the metronome will help a lot.

Aren't you in the UK? That girl and her teacher (Alex Hutchings) are. If I were you I'd find a way to take lessons with Hutchings. He clearly knows how to teach students to play like that.

• Members

You do need to know the entire tune (rhythm, chords, melody) before you are ready to record a solo over a tune like that. And yes you need to be able to play the melody and chords in time with the music too, and that is where the metronome will help a lot.

Aren't you in the UK? That girl and her teacher (Alex Hutchings) are. If I were you I'd find a way to take lessons with Hutchings. He clearly knows how to teach students to play like
that

wow is that even reality, where is he and does he do lessons and how much is he gonna charge...guess I can try check google?youtube?

• Members

She is really good.

But watching her left hand makes me feel tense.

She sounds loose and relaxed, but her left hand seems

to tense. And she seems to avoid using her pinky.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Kudos to the fine young lady!

• Members

wow is that even reality, where is he and does he do lessons and how much is he gonna charge...guess I can try check google?youtube?

Try contacting him through the Jam Track Central website mentioned on the Youtube page:

• Members

Jess has some really good covers of Vai and Paul Gilbert tunes, too. It's not that she can play the super fast notes, but that the feel and details are right. She's great. Alex Hutchings is awesome, too.

I watched her Youtube cover of Guthrie Govan's "Wonderful Slippery Thing". According to the uploader, Govan himself was off-camera watching her play and grinning in approval.

[video=youtube;oQmM1hZgT8U]

• Members

PS: Is Mr. Hutchings constipated?

Holdsworth, Metheny, etc. all make the "guitar face" too. It's the true key to guitar soloing virtuosity.

But if you play strictly rhythm, you don't need the guitar face.

BTW, I recall one of the criticisms of the great classical violinist Jascha Heifetz was that he was "unemotional". This was based entirely on his lack of facial expression while performing, rather than the actual sound coming out of his violin. Personally, I think Heifetz was a true badass, and I don't find his playing robotic/unemotional at all, but what do I know...

• Members

Zappa never made guitar face either.

Didn't seem to hurt him either.

Since it's the "true key to virtuosity"

I'm destined to suck...

Based on "Baby Snakes" I must disagree about Zappa. He made all kinds of faces onstage :)

Actually, there is hope for you. I totally forgot about Robert Fripp! Now THAT's a badass who plays with a poker face.

• Members

It occurs to me these guys teach "high performance" performance instead of the more musical uh, "musical" performance.

So she's into shred and so is her teacher. Does it matter to you now? Not to me.

Her cover of Carlton's classic tune was tasteful, with imo no wasted notes. That's what mainly mattered to me.

• Members

Nah she'll grow into whatever musician she is. Her way with 335, youthful and extraneous/superfluous. Yes that means extra notes. Well done playing in and of itself; just not a very good interpretation. Which seems to point at,

The teacher.

Eh... or meh ... as the spelling seems to be on the web. Mechanical chain of chops kind of delivery/attention span. High performance director maybe.

• Members

Nah she'll grow into whatever musician she is. Her way with 335, youthful and extraneous/superfluous. Yes that means extra notes. Well done playing in and of itself; just not a very good interpretation.

I disagree about the extra notes, and quality of interpretation but that's cool.

Archived