Metronome that lets you accent beats?

BumbleBb

• Members

I am looking at buying a metronome for the first time. I really liked the feature on the Boss DB90 Metronome that lets you accent a certain beat if you want to. Are there any cheaper metronomes that have this same feature? The Boss one, at $180, is way out of my budget. I'm looking for something like $30 or so.

• Members

AFAIK, all metronomes (other than the old clockwork ones) accent beat 1 of the bar, by using a different sound. (You can treat that as any beat you like by just counting from a different place.) There are others that will subdivide beats, ie using 3 sounds (beat 1, other beats, 8th notes or triplets) - I have a free software one on my computer:

http://www.nch.com.au/metronome/index.html

- it seems to be available as an iphone app too. (There are other metronome phone apps, if that suits you.)

Do you mean some other kind of accent, eg for cross rhythms?

• Members

What would be useful for you? I was thinking of adding accents to my metro program in thread below. Simple is just every X beats. Complex would be an arbitrary pattern up to 16 beats

Reaper has a metronome you can setup with accents. Free to try - not crippleware

• Members

Try buying a used boss or alesis drum machine. If you look you can probably find one for $60-70. which is more than your budget, but less than the metronome you mentioned.

You'll be able to accents beats and a whole lot more...

• Moderators

I'm questioning the need for an accented metronome. I have used one, and frankly, it's a bit of a crutch. It fulfills a part that as a player we should be learning to do.

This is what is so useful with metronome practice. We're naked except for the correct pulse. Once you start having interesting accents, you are relieved from doing it yourself. It is one thing to learn to knock out straight 8ths with precision. It is another to play them precisely and to have some sort of internal accent pattern. Having a metronome just play boring ticks allows you to focus on what you are bringing to the groove and not being distracted thinking you're bring it more than you really are...

Just a thought.

• Members

I'm using an iPhone App I found called GuitarToolkit. You can choose which beat to accent and with what type of sound you want to do it. It also has a whole host of other features including scale and chord fingerings, open tunings, and a built-in chromatic tuner which is what I bought it for. I think it's around ten bucks but don't quote me on that.

• Members

I'm questioning the need for an accented metronome. I have used one, and frankly, it's a bit of a crutch. It fulfills a part that as a player
we
should be learning to do.

This is what is so useful with metronome practice. We're naked except for the correct pulse. Once you start having interesting accents, you are relieved from doing it yourself. It is one thing to learn to knock out straight 8ths with precision. It is another to play them precisely and to have some sort of internal accent pattern. Having a metronome just play boring ticks allows you to focus on what you are bringing to the groove and not being distracted thinking you're bring it more than you really are...

Just a thought.

I agree, as a general view.

But I suspect one with programmable accents might be useful for anyone not practised at reading notated rhythms: learning how to hear (and feel) particular written rhythms, translating a notation into a sound. (One can easily do that with sequencing software of course.)

• Members

I'm at work, but on my favorites at home I have an online metronome bookmarked that lets you pick what beat(s) you want to accent. It is free to use. I will try to remember to post a link, but if you don't see one on here in a couple of days send me a PM to remind me.

• Members

Thanks everyone. I will look into all the suggestions. I don't have a smart phone so phone apps are not an option. I've never used a metronome but if I want it to sound on the "and" also then would I just speed up the tempo to double the speed and consider each beat half a beat? Not sure if that makes any sense. Does it even make sense to use it that way? I want to see how I'm doing on strums where you don't strum on a certain part like D DU U DU and I thought having it sound on the "ands" also would help? Right now I do that thing where I try to use my arm like a metronome, keeping it moving up and down consistently even if I'm not strumming a certain part, but I don't know how well I'm doing.

• Members

Try buying a used boss or alesis drum machine. If you look you can probably find one for $60-70. which is more than your budget, but less than the metronome you mentioned.

You'll be able to accents beats and a whole lot more...

Thanks I like the idea of a drum machine. I'll look into this.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived