can you recommend a good rhythm training course?

• Members

Ive got jam tracks, drum tracks, metronome, etc. Just kinda would like some instruction dvds/books with a varied amount and a wide variety of rhythm training for all different kinds of music, if one exists. Have you guys run across anything like that?

• Members

Learn to play the drums
:thu:

This.

It is probably what I should have done to start with. Unfortunately I am now having to backtrack. My timing is my biggest weak point. I just resigned myself to take on an additional guitar teacher for a short (or maybe long if needed) period to get my timing skills together. I havent ever played in a band before so I have a lot to learn.

• Members

Buy a tabla set, claves, djembe, etc. Join a drum circle, find a world beat center, community classes on bongos, etc.

Take drum lessons. Learn snare rudiments, sticking patterns, kit grooves.

"you can ta ka di mi this" by todd isler.

http://www.amazon.com/Improve-Expand-Rhythmic-Sense-Precision/dp/1930080026

Lamin Jassey:

Factorial Rhythm:

http://www.mrgoodchord.com/newSite/catalog.html

Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer:

http://www.tuners.com/beatnik.asp

• Members

I've heard good things about this book:

http://www.ronanguilfoyle.com/press.html

From the website:

Creative Rhythmic Concepts for Jazz Improvisation

This publication is the first of its kind to clearly explain the most recent developments in jazz rhythmic techniques. Intended for use by all instruments, it explains clearly how to go about developing and exploring one's rhythmic technique and how to use these sophisticated techniques in a jazz context. Areas discussed include

Metric Modulation

Subdivision

Odd Metres

Bulgarian music

South Indian Tala system

Multiple subdivision

Polyrhythms

Odd meter polyrhythms

Odd meter modulation.

Each technique is clearly explained and clearly notated and the accompanying CD acts as both a demonstration of the various concepts, and as a playalong CD. There is a comprehensive listening list included in the book as well as 6 compositions that demonstrate the different techniques outlined in the book.

• Members

This.

It is probably what I should have done to start with. Unfortunately I am now having to backtrack. My timing is my biggest weak point. I just resigned myself to take on an additional guitar teacher for a short (or maybe long if needed) period to get my timing skills together.
I havent ever played in a band before
so I have a lot to learn.

Sorry, I didn't notice this before.

Playing with a band will fix a lot of your timing issues, I suspect.

That, and regular practice with a metronome.

• Members

As mentioned the quickest cheapest fix IMO is to go buy a Djembe. Practice playing the hand drum along with tunes. Play on the beat, off the beat, triplets, 16ths the whole spectrum.

I have a kit and play drums all the time - which helps immensely because it gets your whole body involved. But they aint cheap!

• Members

Hmm a Djembe. Ill check the craigslist and see if they have any. What I have done is focus entirely with a teacher who is more like a coach really with metronome going and playing stuff along with him. Counting, foot tapping, all kinda tools going. Its coming along a bit quicker than I thought it would. Even listening to tunes while driving, I count or foot tap.

• Members

Hmm a Djembe. Ill check the craigslist and see if they have any. What I have done is focus entirely with a teacher who is more like a coach really with metronome going and playing stuff along with him. Counting, foot tapping, all kinda tools going. Its coming along a bit quicker than I thought it would. Even listening to tunes while driving, I count or foot tap.

Then this should tell you getting out there and playing with others will make you improve even faster. Just about the only way, IMO.

Now, as far as rhythm guitar, I don't know what exactly you're looking for. Keep in mind that with many styles/players rhythm playing is a very physical act. The time comes from they way you physically approach the instrument, hold it, swing your arm, fingers, etc. In many styles the angle of your picking hand to the strings is very important. I guess this is where playing some kind of percussion instrument could help, as you also have to approach this in a very physical way. Anyway, like I said best way to learn is to get with players better than you and just play There will be so much you'll pick up without even realizing.

• Members

Looks like there are a lot of different sized djembes out there. What is a good starter size? I can prolly grab some youtube lessons to get me started.

I would go with a fairly small one so that it is as portable as possible. They are great tools for teaching rhythm. Especially with kids.

• Members

Looks like there are a lot of different sized djembes out there. What is a good starter size? I can prolly grab some youtube lessons to get me started.

Check out that Lamin Jassey link I posted for a djembe lesson. If you go to this site they have a buyer's guide I think:

http://www.x8drums.com/

Also, there are other percussion instruments that are worth checking out:

agogo bells:

Cajon:

Pearl Percussion:

Fun stuff!

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hello everybody

I stumbled on this topic searching something for myself... but to be sincere I was a little bit unfulfilled by the answers. I really like the "feelings" that moves everybody to help but sometime it seems like the situation when someone has a problem with his computer...demands for help... and the general answers are like...

"Format windows." (=buy an entire course on guitar)

"Install Linux - Go Mac" (=learn battery)

Now, I don't pretend to be better of you, infact at the moment I'm a real bad player, but since I've followed a lot of courses (including learning and mastering guitar) always trying to find something specific to improve my sense of rhythm... now I can give you a couple of suggestions for two books that in my opinion are really delightful

Sight-read any rhythm instantly, by Mark Phillips

Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol.1 & Vol. 2  by Troy Stetina, it also contains a lot of audio samples.

I have nothing against complete courses like Learn & Master guitar (I purchased it and I know what I'm talking about), I just think that in some arguments one chapter and few pages on a booklet are just of little help for a big argument like this.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but since it cames up in my google search so high... I wanted to be helpful to someone with my same needs, eventually.

Bye!

Archived