Just beginning to learn how to play acoustic guitar

kkarl

• Members

I am not experienced in playing the guitar. You could just call me a beginner. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out different ways to begin learning. How do you start? Is it best to take guitar lessons? Well, if you can't exactly take guitar lessons then what is your next option? How do you progress after learning the the basics? 

• Members

kkarl wrote:

I am not experienced in playing the guitar. You could just call me a beginner. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out different ways to begin learning. How do you start? Is it best to take guitar lessons? Well, if you can't exactly take guitar lessons then what is your next option? How do you progress after learning the the basics? 

Yes.

• Members

hi kkarl;

welcome to hell!

nah, it's all good fun..well it can be frustrating too.

To some extent, guitar is a lot like other skills -- some structured instruction mixed with experimentation mixed with just doing it mixed with interacting with other people interested in it can all be part of the progress.

Yes, I would STRONGLY suggest some lessons to at least get you started in the right direction.

Barring that, there is the instructional video route these days -- I'd suggest the video route for the very verybasics so you can see some basic pointers. on mechanics...how to hold the guitar picking/plucking the strings and how to hold the strings down with your fingers; all that good stuff.

From there you will learn some conceptual stuff -- where some of the notes are to play some basic melodies.
then you will probably learn some chords (groups of notes played more-or-less together making a single big "sound" -- when you se people strumming all the strings and holding down more than one string, that's what thy are doing)

As you start working on that more conceptual stuff, method books can also be a big pat of that.

"Method" (books, videoes, or what have you) can give you a structured approach to those basics.  I'd say follow a method (with an instructor or alone) to get that basic technique down.

SO anyway, after you get some basic things down (and this doesn't mean you have to finish an entire method book to branch out, but don't ignore the method) - you may want to SUPPLEMENT by trying o pick out some tunes by ear.  Just start by trying to pick out the melodies of the main theme.
You may also want to learn some piecs from sheet music or tablature (A special kind of written representation that describes the finger positions on the strings instead of the musical notes themselves)

If you can, try playing simple tunes with your friends...you can do a lot just knowing three chords (many songs are based on a three chord structure).
One fun thing to do is to have one person play the chords and have another person "solo" over it by picking out single notes that sound good with the chords.

Obviously, an instructor can do things a method video or book alone can't...like look at your playing and correcting problems, answering specific questions you have directly and so on.

But basically, I'd find a method (instructional system) and follow that...supplementing the method stuff with the side projects like picking stuff out by ear and jamming with other people and learning a song you like with sheet music.

anyway, hope that helps.

• Members

Hi kkarl, Welcome to the lesson loft. Lots of good advice given already. I would start out by figuring out what your goals are. In other words take the time to figure out WHY you want to play the guitar. Take your time and be honest with yourself. Then write down the reason. Start a folder and make that the first page. Then find an instructor that will help you make a good plan to accomplish your goal. All instructors are not equal, so you may need to speak with more than one before you find one you like. Also, don't be afraid to come back here and ask lots of questions. There are no stupid questions and there are helpful people that read this page. Hope that helps.

• Members

kkarl wrote:

Grab a copy of an old Black Sabbath record - or Green Day or Nirvana - something with a very clear guitar part and start picking out songs by ear. Keep doing this for as long as you play. If it's too hard look for an easier song. Pull little melodies out of the air like twinkle twinle, or jingle bells etc. 

From these songs you will discover certain holes in your knowledge. THEN use places like this to address those specific questions. It's a lot more effective if you are asking a specific question that big general statements etc.

The way to learn to play is to play. Like a child. Explore, don't be afraid of it. Poke around, make noises, tap rhythms - express yourself.

Archived