How should I go about learning rhythm guitar?

• Members

Some back story to help you better understand my question:

I first was learning how to be a lead guitarist when I first started, and am decent at that, but I can't do rhythm very well. Improvisation with chords, or even just learning a song by ear (chords anyway, riffs without chords are easy, but chords no matter how simple, are near impossible to pick out by ear for me.)

I am learning all the triads right now, but should I do that, or mainly focus on learning songs by ear, or both? What will give me the most gain rhythmically?

Anything else that I could do? I'm open to suggestions. What helped you take strides of improvement rhythmically?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Music Is All wrote:

Some back story to help you better understand my question:

I first was learning how to be a lead guitarist when I first started, and am decent at that, but I can't do rhythm very well. Improvisation with chords, or even just learning a song by ear (chords anyway, riffs without chords are easy, but chords no matter how simple, are near impossible to pick out by ear for me.)

I am learning all the triads right now, but should I do that, or mainly focus on learning songs by ear, or both? What will give me the most gain rhythmically?

Anything else that I could do? I'm open to suggestions. What helped you take strides of improvement rhythmically?

Here's the thing, the more you use chords, the better you get at using them. So yes absulutely you should be doing triads AND ear AND jazz AND campfire acoustic stuff and and and.

Jazz is the most harmonically rich genre so if you are looking for increased vocabulary get some lessons there. If you are looking for what to do with these chords perhaps you want to investigate funk and work on nailing rhythm. Perhaps you want to lift a bunch of Hendrix and see how he used double stops and other voicings to create that style (that the peppers and everybody ripped).

Like everything in life the more you do it the better you get. So put yourself in situations where you are actually playing rhythm. In the end, our style becomes an imalgamation of what we love to listen to. So maybe you don't really listen to stuff with a lot of cool rhythm parts... Maybe you need to listen to some music that does for a bit.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

• Members

Not quite, I more so agree with you in the sense that I should practice triads and chords, but is that all? Sooner or later, rhythm will just click, or? I've spent the last year learning technique, theory, chords, etc., but now, it's been a year, and I know no songs, so I've definitely got to learn some, I bought a RHCP vinyl, and I plan to learn the songs on it, but I just, I want to be as free of a player as possible rhythmically.

• Members

Music Is All wrote:

I just, I want to be as free of a player as possible rhythmically.

Well, being a good rhythm player isn't really about "being free".

It's about keeping rhythm and groove.  You actually need to be disciplined and keep the song moving in time.  Keep the song driving.

Like Malcolm Young of...

:emoticon-object-063:

• Members

Music Is All wrote:

You more proposed a mix of theory and song, learn the theory behind the song basically.

Maybe i wasn't clear... What i proposed is 

1. Keep doing what you are doing - learn lots of songs using your ears and any method necessary. More more more.

2. (I have never heard you play) SO - if your issue is not having a decent vocabulary of chords then you should study jazz and take some lessons to deeper understand the theory of it.

3. If your issue is more rhythmic - then I susggested learning a lot of funk or RHYTHM & blues. SOmething very syncopated.

4. I also recommended exploring Jimi Hendrix's style specifically as he is the primary influence for the RHCP style of playing.

Make sense?

I will add; never just learn a song and move on. Try and be aware and figure out what chords are being used. So if you learn a song (for example) and the chords go D, Amin, G - then figure out at least 3 or 4 different ways to play each of these chords all over the neck. Then string them together in different ways exploring the tonality neck-wide. These different options are really the key to good rhythm playing. The weaving in and out of the different voicings.

• Members

That makes perfect sense, great points, and organization, thank you! I've always felt like learning songs via tab, and videos was a cheating way to go about it, a lot of my favorite players learned just by ear, that's it. Would you call it cheating, or damaging to the progress of a player by doing that, or is looking to a source when you're stuck not a bad thing, in moderation?

• Members

Music Is All wrote:

That makes perfect sense, great points, and organization, thank you! I've always felt like learning songs via tab, and videos was a cheating way to go about it, a lot of my favorite players learned just by ear, that's it. Would you call it cheating, or damaging to the progress of a player by doing that, or is looking to a source when you're stuck not a bad thing, in moderation?

You need some experience and knowledge of chords, scales, etc. to be proficient at transcribing.

For the rank beginner, transcribing may be too difficult and the use of tabs will be a learning experience.

However, if you have the tools, transcribing is the way to go.  After all, most tabs are just another person's interpretation and their skill set and favored chords, fingerings, etc. may not match your own, making it hard for you to apply their interpretation.

By transcribing you may not be able to mimic exactly the real musician's playing but that's ok as you will put your own unique stamp on the song.

It's certainly not cheating to look at a tab or video.  It's all good. 

Software like Transcribe makes it so much easier.

• Members

Anyone who knows of my advice round here knows I am pretty anti tab. Your ears should always be the go to especially in the learning stages. But having said that, chords can be very very tricky to pull out sometimes. When working with chords there is nothing wrong with getting some help via a tab or something as playing these will help get them in your ears... Then you'll need the tabs less and less over time.

Moderation is the key to everything. Sure use tabs... But when you are using them, understand that that is time when your ears aren't getting a workout. So maybe do some ear work later in the session to make up for that missed time. If you use tab to sincerely learn the piece that's fine. If however, you use them because you are simply too lazy to bother doing the work of lifting... Then not so good. Only you know the difference and you are only cheating yourself.

Archived