The music that got me wanting to play guitar...

Virgman

• Members

Actually, no specific music got me to start playing guitar.

I heard some music in my childhood, then got The Offspring's SMASH in the 9th grade, and started to listen to music more seriously in the 11th grade.

My best friend in high school was a guitarist, and he's the one that encouraged me/ got me to start playing guitar, He thought me some chords in the 11th grade (I didn't have a guitar back then, I practiced on his once a week) and on the 12th grade I started  taking lessons in school and got my own guitar.

I got to know different bands/solo artists through guiarsists in my school (I stiil remember sitting in a basement at school, don't remember if it was before or after I actually started playing, and one of the guys played the riff from Metallicas "fade to Black" - the one from "no one but me can save mysel but it's too late..." - I was was so blown away that I just had toget that Album ASAP) and by watching Beavis and Butthead (the first times I heard Black Sabbath, Death, Corrosion of Conformity, Morbid Angel and Frank Zappa were on Beavis and Butthead, Probably Pantera too). My guitar playing friends got me familiar with jazz and the Beatles too. Till this day one of the most memorable "traumas" I have from that period is my portable CD player's bataries runnig out in the middle of Light My Fire's guitar solo, I probably got quarter note triplets from that solo.

• Members

Early on it was Iron Maiden, Ramones and Green Day which I listened to a lot in my teens. I remember my sister had the "We're outta here" CD with Ramones which was a live recording from their very last show. I would blast it on the stereo late at nights in the weekends and just let myself get carried away. Sounded so damn raw and good. A while after I got a hold of the Rock in Rio "Fear of the Dark" version and I would blast that too. It was so powerful and I imagined what it would be like standing in front of 250 000 people and play.

What really gave me a push though after I had gotten a guitar and grown weary of never getting further than being able to play on one string at a time was getting into Guns n Roses and particularly Slash. AFD defined what rock is all about to me. And I mean from where I stand today I still think Slash is a great guitarist but back then he was a god to me. I simply could not believe anyone could play the guitar that well and I loved his overly complicated and long bluesy solos. I swore to myself that I would learn to master the guitar and be able to play some of his work, though I never really thought I'd get there.

But well here I am today... :smileywink: God knows there are tons of better guitarists than me. But I have gotten a long way from where I started out and sometimes when I play through one of the songs I used to listen to in that era, I feel amazed and taken as it was such a long bumpy road and I never truly thought I'd get where I am today. Does anyone else have that feeling sometimes? Or is it just me?

Archived