Confusion. Line 6 M13, X3 Live, or Pod Farm??

Sherman90

• Members

I'm a young gent, but old fashioned at heart. I like to feel tactile things and I enjoy little more than plugging my stratocaster into my old pro reverb and rocking out.

Nevertheless, I've recently begun delving into the world of high-tech recording and purchased myself a fine Yamaha n12 digital studio, a few good microphones, and a copy of Cubase LE.

Now I'd like an all-in-one FX solution for both LIVE use (jamming in the basement, writing songs in my room, etc.) and RECORDING (I guess this means directly into the n12 --> DAW??? I still don't get this part of things).

Should someone in my shoes go for the M13, or the X3 Live? Or perhaps even the Pod Farm???

I'm sorry, there seems to be so much overlap between these products. I'm not even sure which way is up anymore.

• Members

Pod Farm can be used as a plug in inside your DAW so no mics necessary and it has amp sims as well as effects.

The M13 will need to be used with an amp of some kind it doesn't have amp sims in it.

That being said...

I have PodFarm (stand alone, and a PodXT) and don't use them for anything anymore because I have Amplitube3 and Guitar Rig 4 but I will buy the M13 because in spite of spending a lot of my playing time in the amp sim world I still enjoy the real amp in the room sound and the M13 seems to be a great tool, probably the best thing Line6 ever created. The way you can store numerous "scenes" of different combinations of virtual effects pedals in it will be a creative library of inspiration.

So in my mind the M13 is a better tool even though it is only effects.

I guess I just wanted to point out the differences more than tell you what you need...only you will know that.

• Members

X3 Live is the best one-stop shop option in my view, as it has shedloads of effects, lots of amp and cab models, and that cool dual amp feature.

If you don't need the last of those three, you can save a bit of money and get an XT Live, which is also excellent, and physically a bit sturdier.

They're both great for plugging directly into a desk / DAW and getting a great sound (they also model a few different mics in a virtual space, which you change the distance and orientation of). And you can, if you so wish, put them in a mode that's good for putting through a standard amp.

Finally, you can also connect them to a computer over USB, and they will show up as a digital audio interface. Milage will vary on this, and some people have found them cranky. It works okay for me, but I don't generally take that approach, as I have another general audio interface, so I just use the standard audio out from the unit itself.

One thing to note about Line 6 gear; the presets are not all that wonderful, and you really have to learn how to use them to get the best out of them. Like a decent amp in that regard of course, but it's worth pointing out.

• Members

Yeah same here, the general consensus is if your just looking for effects get the M13. I have alot of experience with the X3 live and its a pretty good unit, quality wise maybe not so much, really thats been my experience with all Line 6 products and I've had a good amount of experience with quite a few.(Flextone II, Flextone III, Spider II, FBV short and long boards, Pod XT and X3 live)

Now I like Line 6 there convenient, easy to use, priced well and get the job done, its just they always seem to have problems. Although they have never totally failed on me something always goes wrong with it. Anyways back to how it sounds the amp models are pretty good the effect are pretty good, it sounds pretty good and in my opinion its easy to use. If your looking for an all in one for around $500 I'd take an X3 live over pretty much anything. But if your like me and pretty good won't do forever you want an Axe FX. The thing is pretty incredible really every time I buy gear I'm also looking for more now I think I finally found it. Once I sell my guitar cab and get an atomic reactor I think this will be the last amp, effects, cab I'll ever buy.

So if you have $1,500 you can spare I'd take the plunge and buy an Axe Fx,(really in the long run you'll save a whole lot of money this way) if you don't have that much moeny to spare and need an all in one get the X3, if your happy with your amp and just want effect get the M13.

• Members

Yeah same here, the general consensus is if your just looking for effects get the M13. I have alot of experience with the X3 live and its a pretty good unit, quality wise maybe not so much, really thats been my experience with all Line 6 products and I've had a good amount of experience with quite a few.(Flextone II, Flextone III, Spider II, FBV short and long boards, Pod XT and X3 live)

Now I like Line 6 there convenient, easy to use, priced well and get the job done, its just they always seem to have problems. Although they have never totally failed on me something always goes wrong with it. Anyways back to how it sounds the amp models are pretty good the effect are pretty good, it sounds pretty good and in my opinion its easy to use. If your looking for an all in one for around $500 I'd take an X3 live over pretty much anything. But if your like me and pretty good won't do forever you want an Axe FX. The thing is pretty incredible really every time I buy gear I'm also looking for more now I think I finally found it. Once I sell my guitar cab and get an atomic reactor I think this will be the last amp, effects, cab I'll ever buy.

So if you have $1,500 you can spare I'd take the plunge and buy an Axe Fx,(really in the long run you'll save a whole lot of money this way) if you don't have that much moeny to spare and need an all in one get the X3, if your happy with your amp and just want effect get the M13.

Oh my gosh, I wish you had never told me about the Axe FX. An hour worth of research later, I'm already considering selling my '68 Pro Reverb and my Telecaster and going futuristic.

• Members

In terms of effects, do the X3/XT sound as good - or nearly as good - as the M13 when plugged directly into an amp?

I disagree with the others somewhat; I don't think the quality is all that notably different. What's different on the M13 is that it's far more intuitive to use as an effects unit, with lots of nice user-friendly controls and whatnot. And also that there's a lot more variety and tweakability.

On the XT / X3, you do get a fair amount of nice quality effects, ranging from the standard distortions and phasers and delays to some really whacked-out psychedelic stuff. BUT, it's kind of a hassle to tweak on the unit's controls, which are really focussed on the amp modelling. You can edit them on the free editor a lot easier, but even then, they aren't quite as flexible as on the M13. You're limited in what parameters you can tweak, and how you can combine the effects.

Horses for courses, really. It's a question of figuring out what you actually need. I almost never find myself limited in what I want to do by the XT, but mileage will vary, as always.

The bottom line if looking for an all in one unit though, is, you can get by amazingly well on just an XT / X3 / Vox Tonelab / whatever, but not on just an effects unit like the M13.

• Members

for an all in one solution, the X3 Live is amazing.

i would KEEP your Tele and Pro reverb.....:thu:

don't sell everything just to get an Axe-FX.....

keep your current gear, and ADD the X3 Live to it :love:

it's a fantastic unit for recording.....one USB cable, and you have PLENTY of recording options -- also has some models of mic preamps so you can do VOCALS with it.....as well as bass amp models....and THOUSANDS of sounds you can easily download online.

i have a ZIP file of thousands of X3 Live sounds - if anyone wants them, just PM me your email address and i will send them to you -- they are presets collected from all over the interwebs :thu:

• 2 weeks later...