Axon AX100 mk II?

natallica

• Members

Hello all -

I'm going to take the plunge into the MIDI guitar world.

I was looking at picking up a used Axon and was wondering if someone could fill me in on what the mk II version of the AX100 added?

I'm looking to drive soft synths exclusively and it sounds like the Axon would be better than the Roland stuff for that kind of thing?

Thanks!

-- N

• Members

There are some differences between the blue chip company's version of the AX100 and the new AX100 MK II by the Terra Tec company, but I cannot remember all the details.

But this article seems to explain the differences between the two.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may06/articles/terratecaxon.htm

The axon is still the fastest converter out there bar none. You can get a good deal on a used one now that they are out of production.

• Members

I've had the Roland GI-20, and got rid of it in favor of the Axon AX-100 MkII. The Axon has many many features that are killer. There are on-board sounds, that are just marginally OK.

The early transient recognition system (ETR) gives it an edge over the Roland stuff.

Two things it does which are astounding are :

1) Support for fret-, string- and pick position splitting (up to 12 play area zones)

2) Programmable MIDI output tuning for alternate tunings

• Members

Question: do any of those units use a USB interface to a computer? Just wondering about that one. I found the fastest tracking on the VG99 was via USB (especially to my new Corei7 iMac).

I wondered if I could pick up an Axon for a song and interface it over usb for even faster performance for midi tracking?

No axon except the Ax 50 has USB. The tracking speed is EXACTLY the same as the mark II, however.

http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=36&menu=102

But then if you get the ax 50, you do not have a "hold pedal" option, which only comes on the ax100 mark II. WHY they did not include a hold pedal for the ax 50 is beyond me. (or a USB for the mark II for that matter!)