New Roland GR-55 Guitar to MIDI processor with COSM guitar processing.

elantric

• Members

Can you load a PCM sound bank into the USB port of the GR55 so you dont have to haul your PC/Laptop for live soft synth/PCM MIDI bank data?

I have a GR33 and thinking about selling it and paying 300 more for a gr55,? however, I think maybe it is best if I get a Macbook 2gb Ram laptop instead as I already have an audio interface. How would tracking be using a GR 33 and a Macbook Laptop 2gb Ram to use soft synths? What I am worried here is about the LATENCY because I am thinking about using this setup live.

Do you think the latency will be a non issue if I just use my GR 33 to control the Laptop's PCMs?

No. The on board USB memory slot is solely for storing audio files (WAV/AIFF) or backing up/restoring the unit. You can then remove the memory stick and plug it into your computer. If using the USB in/out jack connected to your computer, you can upload/download patches via Librarian software, but you can also play the GR's sounds through your computer or run computer's sounds through the GR via the GR's output jacks.

Regarding your question about the GR-33 and whether or not there's any latency when using it to slave laptops/soft synths, I use mine all the time with my old Powerbook G4 to slave Reason sounds. I've heard people complain about latency, but truthfully I've never encountered it. Perhaps certain patches/multi-timbral sounds cause problems, or they're trying to control multiple midi sound generators at once, I don't know. But for my needs, when simply calling up a sound in Reason and playing it back thru my GR-33, it works fine. Here's on thing that SUCKS that I just read about the GR-55: Unlike the GR-33, you CANNOT use the GR-55 as an external sound generator!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I've had some time to go over the manual, and here's some of my random thoughts:

1. Some people have lamented the fact that there's no jack for another expression pedal, but the on board pedal is multi-functional and can control a number of parameters at once depending on how you program it. In the full up position, you can click the expression pedal to SW"on" and now control additional effects, so the pedal has two levels which my cover everything you need. In addition, there's also an internal "virtual expression pedal" that can be programmed to switch on/off based on a specific trigger (i.e. S1/S1 GK switches, when yu step on another pedal, or even when you change patches).

2. The GR-55's setup parameters for creating optimal performance are extremely deep, as are most editing features, much more so than the previous GR models. It remains to be seen if all these minute setup details result in a better, faster unit than ever before, but just glancing at it seems a bit overwhelming and I liked the simple setup procedures on my GR-33 (adjust string sensitivity, pick a performance style, i.e. ingerstyle, tapping, or hard, soft playing, etc). Not only do you now have specific setup options for all GK-equipped devices available (GK-2, GK-3, GK-3B), but there's also specific setup options for all popular piezo saddle brands currently available (Graphtek, Fishman, LR Baggs, RMC, etc). You ten go through a series of sub-menus to further calibrate the overall performance playability, from telling it how far your GK pickup is from the bridge, indicating the scale of your guitar/bass, sensitivity, nuance dynamics, play feel, etc. Once you get your instrument's parameters calibrated for best performance, you can save up to 10 different setups.

3. USB memory slot seems like a waste of time, IMO. All you can do with it is either back up and restore your settings to the stick or play back stored audio files (start/stop only. Can't do any other editing or performance enhanced playback features like tap tempo playback, for example). Backing up and restoring can also easily be done via the USB jack, so this seems kind of redundant. I suppose if you like to play to backing tracks and you want the ability to play have them on board for starting/stopping, then you might find this useful, but personally I'd rather have a good looper with more performance options. Which brings me to the looper...

4. By all accounts, I'd say it sucks, and for me this is a serious drawback to my considering the GR-55. I would have hoped for something at least on par with a Boss RC-2, but this on board looper is useless, IMO. All it offers is simple record and playback, HOWEVER, not only won't it store loops but if you step on the stop button after playback YOU'RE LOOP IS GONE! Ridiculous! You can't even start/stop and start it again. Wouldn't you love to record a loop for a verse section, for example, continue on to a chorus, and then recall your verse loop again for the second verse? Can't do it. >:^(

5. The guitar out jack WILL carry not only your clean "real" guitar signal, but also any COSM guitars/amps/effects you choose, thus keeping guitar sounds separate in the chain from the synth patches if wanted. This is a BIG plus for me.

6. The HOLD feature only works for PCM sounds. :^(

7. GR-55 can only play two PCM tones at once, but these can be split across your 6 strings and assigned to any individually or even transposed. The GR-33 can do this too.

8. There are many filter setting options on every PCM patch. This alone expands the GR-55 way beyond the GR-33 sonically, so in addition to having 900 PCM sounds on board you have expansive filters and editing features to further create new sounds.

9. You now have chorus, delay, reverb, and EQ post MFX options. The GR-33 did not have a post effect EQ option, you had to use up your MFX as an EQ if you wanted it.

10. Midi Implementation Chart in manual makes no mention of which specific parameters are controlled by specific CC commands. Since I'm a midi foot controller user (Ground Control Pro) I'd like to know what I can and can't do with controlling the GR-55 (i.e. assign a GC button to tap tempo, hold, etc). If I get it, I'll just have to play around with numbers to see what kind of results I get, but I would hope that the cc commands are at least as extensive as the GR-33's were.

11. I also don't see any list in the manual of specific tones/names. Patch names, yes, but not tone names. All it says is there's 16 acoustic pianos, 25 electric pianos, 87 synth basses, etc.

• Members

DAMN IT! Everytime one of these GR/VG things come out I go into denial and say I'm not going to get it. Then I read about it and study the manual and then...

I preordered today. AMS reports they have 20 coming in the end of this month and I should be order #12 of the twenty.

• Members

DAMN IT! Everytime one of these GR/VG things come out I go into denial and say I'm not going to get it. Then I read about it and study the manual and then...

I preordered today. AMS reports they have 20 coming in the end of this month and I should be order #12 of the twenty.

Congrats in advance. Let us know how it turns out. I think I'm going to wait until I get a chance to try one out and read some user comments before I take the plunge.

• Members

I have had such bad experiences trying out Roland VG and GR devices in stores it is not funny. Not to sound arrogant, but I understand the units better than they do..at least to date...and the environment they give them is always horrible. I remember visiting a Guitar Center 2 days after they displayed their first VG-99 and the headphones did not work and the GK-3 pickup was hanging from one screw on the guitar it was mounted to.

So I'm used to the idea of ordering online without an audition other than reading the manual and watching what youtube vids I can. This is, however, the first time I jumped off without reading other's comments.

• Members

You cannot connect a midi out from a keyboard to the midi in on the GR-55 and play music using the synth sounds out of the GR. The Midi in only accepts program change information. It makes since in a way since the GR-55 mixes both guitar signal and synth sounds.

That's too bad. In my live rig, in addition to triggering my GR-33 with my Roland-ready Strat, I use the GR-33's midi in connected to a Korg Micro X, and the GR-33 sounds great triggered by a keyboard - you get some different nuances of the sounds that way.

• Members

So let me ask this....since I've been out of guitar synths for a couple of years...who is making good 13 pin pickup axes these days. I used to own a Brian Moore which was great but pricey...and later I owned a Fender Roland Ready which was not so pricey but didn't track as well.

The best guitar is nearly any guitar you like, coupled with a Graphtech Ghost system. I've got an Ibanez RG421 with it, and it's great. I'm also surfing for a used MIM Fender Strat to add yet another Ghost kit. $600, depending on what you get a used Strat for, makes a guitar that tracks amazingly.

• Members

That's too bad. In my live rig, in addition to triggering my GR-33 with my Roland-ready Strat, I use the GR-33's midi in connected to a Korg Micro X, and the GR-33 sounds great triggered by a keyboard - you get some different nuances of the sounds that way.

If i understand well, it's also mean that i cannot edit midi data after tracking in a sequencing software so that i can take out false trigering ...

• Members

If i understand well, it's also mean that i cannot edit midi data after tracking in a sequencing software so that i can take out false trigering ...

What software you have in mind?

I am here to learn;

why is this so?

I believe, you record to your DAW, then edit the false triggers in the DAW software by lowering the volume or pitch shift or some other technique in the DAW. Why is this impossible in such sequencing software? Where are you coming from

• Members

What software you have in mind?

I am here to learn;

why is this so?

I believe, you record to your DAW, then edit the false triggers in the DAW software by lowering the volume or pitch shift or some other technique in the DAW. Why is this impossible in such sequencing software? Where are you coming from

If the GR-55 is unable to receive midi notes transmission, than you can't edit the midi information on any sequencing software and send it back to the Gr-55. This is what i call Midi editing.

• Members

I think I will stick with my axon ax 100MKII and yamaha motif XS combo. To me, this does get good sounds, but roland always seems to not have very good sounds when it comes to acoustic sounding instruments via MIDI like flute or sax.... I just prefer the yamaha motif sounds over roland.

I also wonder how FAST in tracking this will be to hook up to an external synth like the motif. Roland synths have always had fast tracking in their internal MIDI sounds like the GR 33, but sucked at tracking when it came to hooking it up to an external synth.

• Members

Not me--I ordered the one without the pickup and Sweetwater told me today that it will be at least a few weeks

I ordered mine with a pickup. I got email notification from Sweetwater that they were 'in-stock', but when I got their site, they were backordered. I'm not in any big hurry but I'm kind of holding off on some songs to record until it comes in. AMS is pretty non-commital now as to when mine may ship.

• Members

Where did you hear (or read...links?)this at? All I have heard is that it is twice as fast at tracking, but they do not state if they mean it's internal sounds or hooked up to an external synth....THAT is the question I have.

This is what I read from an actual user on VG Forums:

Normally however, when I'm using PCM sounds, I'm either doing walking bass lines, or using the 6 or 5 string for a pedal tone, where I'm not affected by it.
My preliminary test, with my friend, driving soft synths in Garage Band have been vvery impressive.
I havevn't plugged it in to the JV-1080 yet, but honestly, the sounds seem to be better than the JV-1080 anyway (I was using the AXON with the JV-1080, driving the AXON with the 13-pin through of the VG-99).

• Members

This is what I read from an actual user on VG Forums:

Normally however, when I'm using PCM sounds, I'm either doing walking bass lines, or using the 6 or 5 string for a pedal tone, where I'm not affected by it. My preliminary test, with my friend, driving soft synths in Garage Band have been very impressive. I haven't plugged it in to the JV-1080 yet, but honestly, the sounds seem to be better than the JV-1080 anyway (I was using the AXON with the JV-1080, driving the AXON with the 13-pin through of the VG-99).

So it seems he also has an axon? Cool! If this thing drives external synths as fast as an axon I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Archived