I tried some Keeley pedals today... look at these finishes and wiring!

woude

• Members

Robert Keeley is now no. 1 in quality & looks in my book; look at this :eek:

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

I came over to Gvink's place to try all the Keeley pedals he's got in two days ago and I must say that I like those pedals a lot! I really liked the compressor with the external attack knob, I understand what the hype is all about! :cool: *squish!!* Another pedal I really liked was the Boss DS-1 ultra mod; I tried the original pedal two weeks ago and it just got sooo much better now!

• Members

One of my former bandmates did a bunch of the Java Boost clips on his site. One day he popped open the back, and I have the say the wiring was nothing short of fine art. I can't even begin to imagine how long it takes to even think out the routing, much less actually doing all the 90 degree bends. He ought to sell these puppies in see-through cases to show off his handiwork.

• Members

Really interested in the Fuzz Head.

Fuzz head owners, is it prone to the typical problems that plague vintage Ge/Si fuzzes? Ie, placement pickiness, temperature change wackiness, radio stations when volume knob rolled down, etc.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Fuzz head owners, is it prone to the typical problems that plague vintage Ge/Si fuzzes? Ie, placement pickiness, temperature change wackiness, radio stations when volume knob rolled down, etc.

taco

I thought my Fuzz Head sounded much more like a distortion pedal than a fuzz. So no, I never experienced any of those problems that you listed.

It was the only one of Keeley's pedals with which I was disappointed.

But yeah, that guy makes ridiculously good pedals and he's as nice as they come.

• Members

Originally posted by mst3k

The plastic is there for a purpose. To isolate the switch from the chassis.

Actually it doesn't. The threaded shaft and the nut and washer inside all touch the enclosure.

It DOES save some major gouging of the paint when you crank that bad boy into place.

• Members

You know, when I popped the bottom of my Keeley Comp, I was actually very UNDER-impressed with the layout/finish of it. It wasn't some sort of tangled mess or anything, but certainly not a "10" on a scale of 1-10. Probably more like a 7 or something. Serious. When I replaced the Keeley Comp with my Barber Tone-Press, the difference was incredible. Now, THAT'S work of art when working around a circuitboard!

• Moderators

Originally posted by mst3k

The plastic is there for a purpose. To isolate the switch from the chassis.

It is actually there to prevent the nut from scratching the paint as it is tightened down... I wish someone would start to offer really thin steel washers that could be used instead of the plastic, somewhat like the ones that come with Alpha pots.

regards, Jack

• Members

that wiring inside the tb box is insane

every time i make a pedal i intend doing it really neatly and getting all the wiring done like that, and without fail they always end up looking like a rats nest regardless

that must take some insane patience getting all those wires cut to the *exact* lengths and set out

David

• Members

Originally posted by

If you've ever taken a look at the insides of the original Hiwatt amplifiers, that's where a lot of the influence for this kind of wiring came from. The early Hiwatts were fully military grade/spec. wired to the best/most serviceable specifications for "out in the field" use besides simply being a work of art.

I've seen the pics of the hiwatts, Really impressive!

@Mr. Twang:

I liked the fuzz head a lot actually, but there's really some kind of distortion quality in there indeed. When I compare it to my Fulltone 69 I noticed that the overall sound character is more grinding instead of fuzzy. The fulltone can actually do almost the same sound with the vol. at 12:00 bias at 01:00 / contour 07:00 btw. I personally like the versatality of the bias and contour knobs of the fulltone more than the silicon/germanium switch of the fuzzhead.

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

that wiring inside the tb box is insane

every time i make a pedal i intend doing it really neatly and getting all the wiring done like that, and without fail they always end up looking like a rats nest regardless

that must take some insane patience getting all those wires cut to the *exact* lengths and set out

David

Come on guys this is not really that difficult. He probably uses some board with nails on it.

• Members

taco

You already know I love the pedal, but for what it's worth...

There's never been any radio with my fuzz heads, or temperature wackiness. I find it's not picky about placement either, it has a buffer on the output stage, which is only engaged when the pedal is on so it's still true bypass.

The buffer helps the pedal to work with vibe, delay and loopers better than either the sun face or the fuzz factory, in my experience.

The Private stock Wooden Keeley's are beautiful, here's my pair and of course the insides are just as pretty.

th_padaukfuzz2.jpgth_woodfuzz.jpg

Check out this Keeley Q&A to find out more about the Fuzz Head circuit.

• Members
Originally posted by AMZ-FX

I love those exotic wood cases... they look terrific!

-Jack

Thanks Jack, Robert gets them made by Bob Burt who does a great job. The finish and attention to detail is amazing...

I swear they sound different to the stock pedals too... more... woody!:cool:

Archived