Pearl CO04 Compressor

Jeztastic

• Members

I am looking to sell this pedal now - it's not what I'm after. However, I want other people's opinion on this pedal before I do.

When I got this pedal, I thought it was broken, and I said so here. I now suspect that there's nothing wrong with it and it's just not what I'm looking for.

So, before I sell it, do people think I have a faulty one, or is it just vintage analogue, and therefore too distinctive for me? My problem with it is it causes volume to fluctuate as the note decays on some settings. Anyone else experience this with a Pearl Compressor?

• Members

Jez, my experience with my CO-04 is that it seems to have an audible hump as it starts its compression and then goes off with the longest sustain of all the compressors that I have (Boss CS-2, Keeley, grey DOD 280, TC).

Mine doesn't seem as unstable as you'd described for yours but it certainly isn't as well-mannered as the others and is quite fun for those who just want something to kick sustain into their noise-works.

Hope this has been helpful.

• Members

Originally posted by keramat8

Jez, my experience with my CO-04 is that it seems to have an audible hump as it starts its compression and then goes off with the longest sustain of all the compressors that I have (Boss CS-2, Keeley, grey DOD 280, TC).

Mine doesn't seem as unstable as you'd described for yours but it certainly isn't as well-mannered as the others and is quite fun for those who just want something to kick sustain into their noise-works.

Hope this has been helpful.

YAAAAY, look who

• Members

That compressor is pretty interesting. It is very, very similar to the CP9 or CP10 by Ibanez. It is a Ross/Dyna Comp circuit, with a tone control and an attack control similar to that which Ibanez (and boss) used.

It should sound pretty decent. The tone control is going to add noise, but it is one of the things people ask for in a compressor.

I would set the the attack control for the longest attack time if you use humbuckers...the shortest if you use single coils. Then use the tone control very sparingly.

Take care,

rk

• Members

Originally posted by keramat8

Bumping this up so that Jez might see my reply.

Taking the opportunity to say hello to my friend Mirza
:)
What're you doing in Vienna?

Hello Ram, I am literally crawling on all fours towards an M.A. in linguistics and translation studies, or british studies. :D Hope all is well, drop by more often, you are sorely missed here.:)

• Members

Wow, just been using it with sustain on full with my TS-5 and Marshall Guvnor 1. This is the way it wants to be used - as a lead boost. Never really got a lot of sustain out of my rig - till now.

This isn' what I bought it for - but it's a keeper. However, when I play clean chords, there's definite wobble. :(

What does the attack dial do? I can't hear a difference.

• Members

This is the best soulution I can think of : see if you can find someone you can send it to in your country that has one so they can can A/B it. That way you'll know for sure if yours has an issue. Then you can work towrds fixing it or whatever.

and nice to see ya keramat8

• Members

Miss being here too. Been busy, like you, crawling on all fours through thick mud with work. :D Couple that with no internet access (yet) at my rented home (new home not ready yet) so there've been very few opportunities (mostly at work PC) to be here.

All the very best with the MA, that sounds really heavy.

Originally posted by Grozna_Pizda

Hello Ram, I am literally crawling on all fours towards an M.A. in linguistics and translation studies, or british studies.
:D
Hope all is well, drop by more often, you are sorely missed here.
:)

Joey, that is really clean indeed! :) Mine is a bit worse for wear, needs a bit of elbow grease cosmetically, but works fine.

Originally posted by seifukusha

the co04? i have two. nice with the tone knob before the compressing...

clean as a whistle...

• Members

Nice to be here, when I can, frank! Good suggestion there.

Originally posted by frankn

This is the best soulution I can think of : see if you can find someone you can send it to in your country that has one so they can can A/B it. That way you'll know for sure if yours has an issue. Then you can work towrds fixing it or whatever.

and nice to see ya keramat8

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

There are some mods I can suggest if you are interested. I don't have the time to perform them, but there are things to the tone control that can be done, etc.

rk

That'd be great, thanks! What would the objectives of the mod be - reduce noise, more effective toneshaping, attack control....etc ?

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

There are some mods I can suggest if you are interested. I don't have the time to perform them, but there are things to the tone control that can be done, etc.

rk

Thanks, you are a gent. I'll PM you, and then see if Cruachan wants to have a go on them.

*edit* Oh I see I can't PM you. Could you post them here or PM me about them? I would be very grateful.

Archived