How do you politely decline church invitations?

Thelonius

• Members

I personally think it's rude to invite me. Because it puts me in a position that I feel I need to explain why I will not be accepting your hospitality and making myself look like a dick, while at the same time telling you that I think what you believe is wrong.

In the meantime, if anyone's thinking of asking me.....I know where the {censored}ing church is. If you don't own the church your invitation doesn't hold any more water than me driving down myself and going.

But outside of all of that. I don't want to be a dick. You know..usually when someone invites me to a church, they're being nice. I just don't {censored}ing like it.

So what's the best way to be diplomatic?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

Say, "no thank you."

Seriously; do you owe any explanation beyond that?

Probably not too hard to believe knowing me.....but I hadn't actually thought of that yet.

I was thinking of jumping on the table and going "WTF mother{censored}er?!? You think I'm a piece of {censored} sinner worthy of rotting in hell so I gotta go to your church so YOU can get the credit for converting a godless heathen?!?!? {censored}....YOU!!!!!!!!"

But yeah, I think "no thanks" might work better.

You guys are {censored}ing smart.

• Members

I once got asked by the Archbishop of Liverpool why I wasn't getting confirmed. How the {censored} do you not offend the {censored}ing bishop without lying. I though he was out of order for asking. In the end I said I just wasn't ready, which was a half truth.

• Members

Here's what I'd do. Grab whoever invited you by the throat and start shaking them. Then, in the loudest voice possible, yell at them, "I'm a mother {censored}ing aethist! Now leave me the {censored} alone!" Of course, that may cause other problems, but who said all solutions are not without problems themselves.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I once got asked by the Archbishop of Liverpool why I wasn't getting confirmed. How the {censored} do you not offend the {censored}ing bishop without lying. I though he was out of order for asking. In the end I said I just wasn't ready, which was a half truth.

Yeah I can see that. See I'm 31 and a lot of the friends I've had have started settling down, getting married, having kids, or all of the above, etc. A lot of times this involves joining into a church.

I do not discourage them from doing so even though I wrote a long rant about my sister a couple of months ago and how she's IMO being very misled about Christianity but at the same time you don't want to challenge her thoughts when she may be slightly vulnerable anyways. I mean I'd rather her be in church and happy you know?

But along with that starts coming invitations. For some reason church invitations come on saturday nights during beer drinking too. That's weird.

• Members

If you're really uncomfortable just saying "no thanks" you can always say something like "Thanks a lot for the offer. I'll think about it and let you know if that's something I'm comfortable with in the future."

Of course then there's a small possibility that they'll ask again in the future...

• Members

I find it really interesting that a lot of you are advocating swearing as a way to "scare off" the person who is doing the inviting...

Do you really think that all people who go to church are total squares? That they've never heard profanity before?

Seriously, folks. Most modern churchgoers aren't any different from most people here.

The biggest difference is that they don't sleep in on Sundays.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

I find it really interesting that a lot of you are advocating swearing as a way to "scare off" the person who is doing the inviting...

Do you really think that all people who go to church are total squares? That they've never heard profanity before?

Seriously, folks. Most modern churchgoers aren't any different from most people here.

I'm sure everyone's just being funny. :)

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

• Members

I'm with the "just say no thank you" crowd, and don't offer an explanation.

If they ask why, politely tell them it is none of their business when, where or if you go to church.

Don't worry about offending them, anyone impolite enough to ask why isn't someone you want to be friends with anyway, at least not until they grow out of their obnoxious religious phase.

• Members

For me it all depends on how it is approached. Like once where I used to work we hired this new lady and we were just chatting and stuff, and she mentioned that she had a sunburn. So I asked how she got it and she said playing volley ball. So I said I used to enjoy volley ball. So she said her church plays volley ball once a week and if I'm interested I could just show up and say she sent me and they'd let me play, and its a great group of people and the fellowship is good and if I decided to attent the service, it was a good pastor and was a very forward-thinking church. And that was the end of it. That was probably the closest I ever came to accepting an invitation.

A few years later I worked with this other dude who invited me to his church like once a week. Then on Mondays he'd be like "Hey man, I was looking for you Sunday, sorry you couldn't attend". So I really just had to {censored}ing lay it out for him, I'm not interested in going to church, especially not that kind of church (relatively infamous around these parts, not naming names).

So he said fine and didn't bug me for a few weeks. Then one day he comes in to my office and closes the door and sits down next to me and tells me the church is hosting this event with a speaker who does a question/answer session afterwards, and it's geared towards people who have lost their way or have questions about spirituality and life through Christ.

I turned that down also, then he got really {censored}ing weird. Like on Monday's he ask "So did you go out this weekend, do it up real big? Drink a lot? Case women around? mmmm hm. Well I hope it was fun".

And this was a {censored}ing 22 year old guy.

He wound up meeting a girl at church, asking her to be his girlfriend, then asking her to marry him, then marrying her all in about 2 months.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I'm sure everyone's just being funny.
:)

Yeah, I know. It's all tongue in cheek.

But my point is that most church-goers aren't what non church-goers envision...especially in a lot of the more progressive churches these days.

You could belt out a stream of profanity, and the person would react just about the same way you could expect a random person off the street to react.

Now...if you really want to get them off your back, tell them you're a Mormon and ask if they'd like to come to your church.

Then clock them with a radar gun and see how fast they take off...

:D :D

Archived