Groovebox vs. Drum machine... explain please.

• Members

Hi !

I'm checking out drum machines right now. I want something with which I can modify my sounds, to make them my own instead of absolutly wanting to emulate real drums (Nine Inch Nails, some Bowie and Bjork comes to mind).

I've been doing some research on the net and came across grooveboxes. Reading the description of these machines, it seems you can program beats with them (like a drum machine), plus you get more control over the sounds (more effects, LFO, etc.).

Am I missing something ? Is there something I can't do with a groovebox that is possible with a drum machine ?

Thanks for the help !

Guest Anonymous

"Groove Boxes" have more than just drum sounds in them. They are basically dedicated workstations with buttons instead of keys.

What's your budget?

:)

• Members

Originally posted by burster1

"Groove Boxes" have more than just drum sounds in them. They are basically dedicated workstations with buttons instead of keys.

What's your budget?

:)

Actually, I was asking 'cause I spotted a few used grooveboxes at an acceptable price: Roland MC-303 (180$), Roland D2 (275$), Boss DR-202 (275$).

Thing is they are used and sold by people who put classified ads. I just don't feel like going to someone's place and realize that the machine doesn't do what I want...

As for my budget, 300$ and less...

• Members

I have a Roland D2 I got off ebay for about 120$. There's drum buttons, named like bass,snare,tom,etc but actually bass is for the drum kit, and the rest are all different synth parts you can add or take away. You can find some decent info, and the manual at the yahoo d2 group.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe you can get a used Korg ESX-1. This will give you a sampler for adding sounds as needed.

:thu:

• Members

There are a million and one ways to "make your own drum sounds"...

You could take any of those machines and "make your own drum sounds" with them... it's just a matter of how much flexibility you would have...

As someone recommended, a sampler can give you a lot of room to work with because you can record ANYTHING and use it as a source to create a percussive sound.

Another method is actually synthesizing drum sounds like you would with any synth, problem with this is unless you have a dedicated "drum synthesizer", you would need like 4 synths to create a kit...

I haven't used any of those pieces you are suggesting to pick up, but from reading and hearing about them, seems like the Boss DR-202 would be the best bet...

My personal recommendation would be to pick up two pieces... a Korg ER1 for drum synth sounds and sequencing, and a sampler like a Boss SP-202 or Zoom ST 220 sample traks. Both have effects and I believe resampling... Not a HUGE amount of memory, but plenty for drum sounds...

That combo would run you just under $300...

The Korg ESX would also be a nice tool.

You could also try an Akai S series sampler (any will do... whatever you can afford I suppose, S900, S950, or S2000 maybe?), and a lower end effects box like an Alesis Quadraverb, TC Electronic M300 or similar. That should run you around $200-275ish... Add a sequencer of your choice...

• Members

I've owned the MC-303 (Meatball Fulton has it now after fixing it) and have the D2 currently.

$169 for the D2 is because it is the rare black one. You should be able to get the orange one for $100 or under with patience. Well worth the price.

• Members

Thanks for all the info... Now I have to ad the sampler to my list of what I can consider to buy...

As for the Korg er-1 someone suggested, I tried it twice at a store because people recommanded it so much... I wasn't lucky getting any good sound out of it... It seems the "pitch" of any sound took over the percussive element of it... I only got sounds that made me think of an old video game...

I'll keep in mind what you proposed (and the fact that some people are asking way to much money for what they sell !). Thanks again !

P.S.: Sorry about all the questions, I'm not familiar with keyboard gear... I'm a bass player and all these electronic machines are really new to me.

• Members

Unknown, do you have any gear at all??

As for the "old video game sound" of the ER1, I mean, I personally like some of the sounds that come out of that, but like I said, you can take those raw sounds, run them through distortion pedals, phasers and all kinds of effects, sample them, and use that as your "drum kits"...

Then again, if you have some other source of sounds, you could just use that... hell I'd bet your bass and some guitar picks, maybe a drum stick, would make some good raw samples...

The point is if you want to make your own drum sounds, you have to look in a lot of different places and use a lot of different tools in a lot of different ways... It's not very hard though, just pick up a sampler and a sequencer (I suggested the ER1 because it makes its own sounds but I think you can use it as a sequencer also, not sure though...) and our good to go...

Archived