Michael Jackson "Thriller" Synths?

elsongs

• Members

I'm a big fan of Quincy Jones' productions and I've always wanted to know what kind of synths wer used in the "Thriller" sessions. I know the session musicians were a combination of members of Toto, Heatwave and the Brother Johnson...also the metallic sound intro of "Beat It" was a Synclavier sample and that most of the synth bass sounds were from a Minimoog. But what about the lush synths that did "Human Nature"?

• Members

Well, "Human Nature" was Steve Porcaro's (of Toto (my favourite band)) tune, so I know the synths HE used on that tune were his own CS-80, a Synclavier and a Jupiter-8. In fact, the Jupiter-8 is all over "Thriller", as is the Synclavier. A Linn LM-1 and a TR-808 were also used. There is no FM technology used at all on "Thriller".

Funny story about the song "Human Nature": David Paich (also of Toto) was in the spring of 1982 asked by Quincy Jones to write a few tunes for the new Michael Jackson album. He did, and sent the tapes to Quincy. Quincy liked what he heard, but didn't really see the songs fitting in on that particular album. But when he thought one of the Paich tapes had stopped running, another song suddenly came on, and it was Steve Porcaro's "Human Nature". Paich, believing the tape to be blank, had recorded one of his songs on the same tape. Quincy immediately loved the melody of "Human Nature", which was completely without lyrics and consisted only of a simple rhythm track, the CS-80 synth riff and Porcaro's own voice humming the melody. That's the story of how "Human Nature" ended up on "Thriller". It was later covered by none other than Miles Davis on his "You're Under Arrest" album.

Sorry for being such a wise-ass, it's just that I actually do know my Michael Jackson (and Toto). ;) ;)

• Members

Originally posted by DGS1234567

There is no FM technology used at all on "Thriller".

Didn't Greg Phillinganes play a Yamaha GS-1? That was a proto-FM synth that was popular in the early 80s. I distinctly remember a GS-1 being mentioned in the liner notes.

BTW thanks for the "Human Nature" story. I love hearing that behind the scenes stuff. No need to apologise for being a Wise Ass you're just Wise, heheh.

• Members

Originally posted by WhinyLittleRunt

I know the GS-1 was used by Toto in their own early 80's stuff like the brass from "Africa". That was basically an early DX-7 (or at least paved the way for it)

The brass in "Africa" was CS-80...but the GS- 1 did do the marimba-like sounds, I'm sure. The Toto IV album was made right before the Theriller sessions so I'm sure they used the same technology.

• Members

Sorry, you may have been right about the GS-1, elsongs. I just don't recall it was being played on "Thriller"... But it makes sense though. Right place, right time, right player.

New trivia from the wise-ass: The beautiful solo on "Africa" was a real marimba (played by Joe Porcaro) doubled with the GS-1. The kalimba sound is comprised of six GS-1 tracks, all playing different rhythms. Man... Talk about PRODUCTION.

The good ole '80s... *sniff* :(

:D :D

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

lots of Rhodes as well. but that's not a synth.

Not a synth but I'd like to note that they used a Rhodes with a Dyno-My-Piano mod. For some reason those kinds of Rhodes are hard to find these days.

• Members

Three of everything.

Just kidding. There was a "Keyboard" article back in 89 or 90 I recall on the follies of synthesizer purchases. Anyway, one reason not to buy a particular synthesizer was "...because the Jacksons used a particular synthesizer on the Victory Tour. Of course they did. They used three of everything on the Victory tour."

- Bad Chile

Archived