tube/valve preamp to warm/fatten digital synths?

lawst

• Members

I have heard from a few people that you can develop 'your own sound' by using preamps in combination with VA synths. Apparently the result of the combination of the two is a warmer and fatter sound which almost gives the impression of an analog synth. I believe its to do with the tube/valve.

I would rather just go an buy an Andromeda (just mentioning it gives me GAS!) but cant afford to splash the cash at the moment so the preamp seems like the cheaper option.

Does anyone else use preamps for this purpose? if so, on a medium budget of around

• Members

second hand only (cause noone makes em nomore) Tubeworks Bluetube pedal or rack. Not to be confused with the Presonus Bluetube. Or of course there's Speakeasy (do a search if this means nothing to you).

Actually for 500 stirling why not get an Evolver?

• Members

I somtimes run other synths through the (admittedly not-so-special) tubes on my Korg ESX and it does add a subtle distortion that rounds out some sounds. Works very well in conjunction with the crystal clear, but bone dry Emu PX7. YMMV.

• Members

I've been a preamp fan ever since I started using a computer to record my guitar and especially my bass. Maybe it's because I'm used to tape, I don't know, but I like the sound so much more with a preamp.

There are plenty of preamps made especially for recording, which is nice since they include impedance matching transformers for various input devices.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses so far.

no preamp will turn your VA into a RA.

To be honest its not about getting an analog sound and im certainly not trying to turn my VAs in to RA, its more a case of trying to get my own sound.

I am going in to the studio for a month to record an album with my band so I want to make sure im getting the best sound possible. Some of my patches are missing that extra something and I think running my synths (virus TI and x-station) through a valve/tube preamp or even putting it through an amp and mic-ing up may just give me that little extra im looking for.

Actually for 500 stirling why not get an Evolver?

I have too much GAS for the Andy to even look at another synth :D poly evolver is next on my list after that!

I somtimes run other synths through the (admittedly not-so-special) tubes on my Korg ESX and it does add a subtle distortion that rounds out some sounds

I like the sound so much more with a preamp

:eek: These are the kind of comments that have provoked my curiosity!!

• Members
To be honest its not about getting an analog sound and im certainly not trying to turn my VAs in to RA, its more a case of trying to get my own sound.

The best way to do that is to buy nothing and spend the time to program your synths. Instant "own sound" at no cost.:)

• Members

I run my collection of old synths & drum machines thru the following set of DIs:

Avalon U-5 (Class A)

Demeter HDI-1 (tube)

Summit Audio TD-100 (solid state / tube hybrid)

The U-5's have frequency curves that are quite useful & the TD-100's have variable impedance controls that allow for subtle tone changes.

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

you want insane fatness? As in "oh {censored}, my monitors" then get a metasonix TM6. Seriously....

insta-fat

Insta-fat is correct. I have to be physically restrained from running every drum loop i make through that thing.

• Members

The best way to do that is to buy nothing and spend the time to program your synths. Instant "own sound" at no cost

The patches I use are my own or tweaked pre-sets at the very least... trying to dial in a patch which sounds like it has been processed with valves/tubes is just like a VA trying to emulate analog and as we all know, the end result is just not the same :D

I just found exactly what I was looking for in Junes issue of keyboard mag! freaky deaky s**t! For anyone thats interested, it has a large article discussing recording synths and one of the sections of the article covers using preamps with synths for the reasons I have mentioned. It also covers running synths through amps instead of going in direct when recording. Great article, highly recommend reading it if you are looking for some recording tips :thu:

• Members

you want insane fatness? As in "oh {censored}, my monitors" then get a metasonix TM6. Seriously....

insta-fat

insane fatness!?!? sounds interesting, gonna look in to it!

• Members

Originally posted by Goo

How can a filter fatten a sound?

oh my, my my my....

you have a LOT to learn :)

sherman filterbank

macbeth morocco

mutronics mutator

frostwave resonator

metasonix TM2 and TM6

moog whatevers

whatever whatevers

all filters, all good...

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

I have a
Groove Tubes ViPRE
and a
SpeakEasy stereo tube keyboard Pre

I use the ViPRE on ROMplers (and bass!) quite frequently, and it always warms the sound up nicely, IMO.

The SpeakEasy is dedicated to my ES8.
:cool:

I also have a
Presonus Blue Tube
....I don't use it on synths - it's not as much fun as the other two...
;)

dB

yea ive heard the groove tubes are pretty good - does it noticably enrich the harmonics of sounds through it?

the speakeasy sounds interesting too!

• Members

from the speakeasy site:

It's important for the customer to understand that our preamps aren't just for amplifying sound. Our preamps serve a dual purpose, one is indeed to amplify the output of your keyboard when it's not enough to properly drive your amplifier, the other and most important purpose is to sculpt the tone of your instrument, to restore it's dynamic scope and clarity, and give it a warm pleasing tone that only a Speakeasy can deliver.

dB, out of curiosity, if you had to pick between the SpeakEasy stereo tube keyboard Pre and the Groove Tubes ViPRE for use with your synths, which would you go for?

• Members

Originally posted by lawst

yea ive heard the groove tubes are pretty good - does it noticably enrich the harmonics of sounds through it?

I'd sure say so. :thu:

dB, out of curiosity, if you had to pick between the SpeakEasy stereo tube keyboard Pre and the Groove Tubes ViPRE for use with your synths, which would you go for?

The ViPRE. It has eight freakin' tube stages. :eek: I wish I had a second one so I could do stereo. :love:

The SpeakEasy is nice and all - it adds a pleasant ambience. warmth and presence to the ES8 - but it ain't no ViPRE. Doesn't cost anywhere near as much, either. ;)

dB

• Members

Originally posted by syncretism

why not explain how a filter fattens a sound, then?

well you see the analog waves come in and react to the inside crcuitiodes of the filter. This in turn increases the Dan Goodman factor by a certain value.

its very easy to understand.

I have no idea why analog filters "fatten" sounds. Neither does the reader of this reply.

• Members

oh my, my my my....

you have a LOT to learn
:)

sherman filterbank

macbeth morocco

mutronics mutator

frostwave resonator

metasonix TM2 and TM6

moog whatevers

whatever whatevers

all filters, all good...

Jomox Resonator for only $300!

• Members

I have no idea why analog filters "fatten" sounds. Neither does the reader of this reply.

It's usually because they distort I'd think.

My thoughts on the subject:

API, Neve, or some other vintage type preamp with transformers along with an A Designs Atty on the output. Drive the preamp as hard as you want and use the Atty to bring the level down to where it needs to be. If you're going to a studio, try and make sure they have some preamps like this. It's probably what you're wanting.

Other choice is a Tube Screemer or some other guitar overdrive pedal. They're some good tube ones if you really must have tubes.

I'll tell you a secret. What most people want when they say they want a tube preamp is actually transformers. You can actually get certain FETs to distort more or less like tubes. You can't really copy the distortion transformers add to the sound. Transformers are expensive though. They make stuff made with them expensive. Kind of goes against the idea (held by way too many idiots out there) that the price of electronics should have NEGATIVE inflation. Right.

Archived