How to tell if a synth will last

• Members

Im a newcomer to synths, I have never yet owned one, but tried one out recently and have to have one. I think I know what I want out of a synth, but Im not sure if its what I will always want. My main focus is the quality, flexibility, and quantity of the sounds available. I want to be able to compose without limitations. Horns, strings, orchestral sections, Ive been craving more flexibility, but I want it to sound authentic or atleast close to it. I also enjoy a synth that can throw out some nice funky bass sounds. Possibly just as important as everything Ive mentioned is the interface. This is where it seems like so many keyboards {censored} up. I dont want to scroll through a menu to get to each effect. I want to be able to spin a dial and be there, and control the level of the effect while im playing. I probably sound like a bitch here saying I want I want I want, but {censored}, I want a synth that will hold my interest. What features do you experienced synth players look for that keep a synth from loosing your interest. Im gonna get a synth in a week or two, and want the least expensive one that will satisfy me... one that will team up with higher end synths rather than just be replaced by one. The keyboard that grabbed my attention and showed me what I want in a keyboard: the Roland Juno-D. Is there anything under $1000 that can compete with this thing?

• Members

Originally posted by Malchicoff

What features do you experienced synth players look for that keep a synth from loosing your interest.

Plenty of features in the synth engine.

Well designed MIDI implementation.

Good future upgrade path (daughter boards, sampling, I/O expansions, etc.).

Good physical construction.

Manufacturer with good track record for service and support.

No wall wart power supply :thu:

Great presets (if the presets written by professional sound designers suck, then my own sounds will REALLY suck).

No flavor of the month features...i.e. it must be general purpose rather than suited only for one style of music.

If it has a keyboard, at least 61 keys and the action has to feel good.

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Plenty of features in the synth engine.

Well designed MIDI implementation.

Good future upgrade path (daughter boards, sampling, I/O expansions, etc.).

Good physical construction.

Manufacturer with good track record for service and support.

No wall wart power supply
:thu:
Great presets (if the presets written by professional sound designers suck, then my own sounds will REALLY suck).

No flavor of the month features...i.e. it must be general purpose rather than suited only for one style of music.

If it has a keyboard, at least 61 keys and the action has to feel good.

Brilliant. Personally, I'd make one change. I want (99) awful presets that set me to work and (1) jaw-dropper that keeps me focused on the board's potential.

Archived