Anyone have some demos of the JD-990 w/the Vintage Synth Expansion?

Awake77

• Members

Originally posted by Sealed

I hear JD-800 has 3MB ROM.

4MB it is.

And I suspect there is a difference regarding waveform data compression. While JD-800 seems to use non-compressed linear PCM data, JD-990 can use SR-JV boards that use waveform data compression.

The native ROM for both machines is lossless compressed, and 44.1KHz. When the JD-990 reads data from a SR-JV board, it upsamples it from 32KHz to 44.1KHz for the engine to process.

I wonder this difference in the synth engines would lead to differences in sound between JD-800 and JD-990.

If a JD-800 and JD-990 are running the same patch, they sound virtually identical to me. I chalk up any difference to just the natural variation of two machines.

cheers,

Ian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Awake77

Ive actually really got my eye out for a Peavey 1600X - especially when I found out they have a whole preset list for the Kawai K5000S!!! That will be a
totally
different synth with in depth real time control. Programming it might actually be fun, rather than giving me the feeling Im trying to write Quake 5 in cobol
:D

Thanks for all the input on the 990 - I didnt realize it had so many features over the JD-800. Im really interested in picking one up now...of course, a 1600x and the JD990 would mean no real reason to keep the JD-800 - Id nieed to find another synth with lots of knobs and blinky lights to take its place
:D

i might be selling my pc1600x :eek:

but anyway, one grip...... i cant find the cc# to control the the 4 OSC's volume individually on jd990, only on or off... really hope not controlable only via sysEX.... :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

Yeah i downloaded it right after you post the demo. Ok, time to search it all.

BTW i noticed some banks have filenames "name.d50.z" . No idea what is it. I tried to load them to Sysex2k but no luck. It appears not to be *.d50 format. Which software you use to open them?

um. dont know...

seems like its got to be a file for that program, maybe zipped, or with just a bad extension. The patch you are looking for (not that you dont want all of them) is in the AK folder, so you only have a few banks to go thru to get that.

Unfortunately i cant say when ill get sysex versions up. I mean, its a simple thing, but I still have to get around to doing it. I stopped using sysex D-50 when i stopped using the PC, and Unisysn should be able to kick my patches back at me, but the hard thing is i have to turn appletalk on and hook in the network cable... so hard.

Hey man, i suggest you rip what you can and then we'll coordinate on gettting you anything you've missed. My organizational skills are lacking.

If anybody wants to let me hear the new Roland patches for the D-50, I'd love that. Or, any patches I might not have heard. Hey, especially if any of you guys have done any work with the M.EX modes.

Mmmnnn, this thread is about some of my favorite machines... I'm not the biggest fan of the JV line, but I do love the 880/990.

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

Yeah i downloaded it right after you post the demo. Ok, time to search it all.

BTW i noticed some banks have filenames "name.d50.z" . No idea what is it. I tried to load them to Sysex2k but no luck. It appears not to be *.d50 format. Which software you use to open them?

That particular suffix was used by early versions of the unix compress utility. Gzip, the GNU replacment should be able to get them out, otherwise you'll want the uncompress utility. Freeware things that claim to be gzip compatible probably won't manage.

B>

• Members
Originally posted by Analog Kid

The patch you are looking for (not that you dont want all of them) is in the AK folder, so you only have a few banks to go thru to get that.

Yeah, that was the first thing i did when i brought D-50 home. I guess i was in too much rush, so i probably missed it in brief inspection. :)

• Members
Originally posted by aeon

I still own my fully-expanded XL-7 Command Station and UltraProteus.

cheers,

Ian

Cool, myself included, plus the Morpheus :thu:

Chuck

E-MU XL-7 w/World & Pop Roms; UltraProteus

Roland JD-990 w/Vintage

:wave:

Archived