Anyone have some demos of the JD-990 w/the Vintage Synth Expansion?

Awake77

• Members

you seem quite diligent in your analysis of sounds and yet you do seem to come to some contridictory conclussions from the rest of us. Nice to see a fresh approach, but make sure your methodology is clear when evaluating things. Obviously you take it seriously enough to use spectral analysis software and I'm sure you trust your ears too but i think there's some room for disagreement on your conclusions about the Roland rompler lines.

but then... what do i know? I still like a good SoundCanvas!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe I should just get the 990, mount it next to my trusty JD800 and be done with it! :D

Tell me - how do you 990-only guys deal without the lack of realtime control?

Also - are the LFO's on the 990 syncable with MIDI? That would totally rule...

No true Roland lover doesn't gas for the 800. As far as digital goes, I'd put that right up there with the V-Synth... and the reason the V-Synth is on top is it's ability to turn into a D-50...

Dont forget its a JP-8000 right out of the box, too. And that vocal designer card aint no joke, either! Yeah I really dig the V-synth...wonder how low the prices are going to go?

• Members

I've been curious about the SFX expansion board for my JD990. I think it's SRJV 15 - or something like that - not sure exactly. But I understand that the sounds come from the Twisted Reality sample cd and I believe were created by Eric Persing of Roland programming fame. From the little I've read about it, it sounds like something I could make good use of in my ambient electronic and soundscape music. Anyone heard or used this board and have any feedback?

• Members

can you load the JP 8080 and JD 990 sound banks into the V-synth - might be a dumb question but I don't know much about the V at all.

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be - no, it's not possible. I'd imagine you could sample individual sounds into the V-Synth's sampler one at a time, but not dump a whole bank via midi, ram cards, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

But realize you will lose the JD-990 filter and sound.
;)

I haven't had a chance to compare, I'll have to take your word for it :D I think the filter on the JV-880 is quite nice, I would assume the 1080 is similar. I know the JD-990 adds a few extra parameters and effects, not sure exactly what though.

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Why,oh why, couldnt Roland just put the 990 innards into the JD-800?

Because JD-990 has no much in common with JD-800. :) It is a completely different synth. You can not load my JD-990 patches on a JD-800. Here is a list of new features on 990:

• Members

Originally posted by Nightsynth

I haven't had a chance to compare, I'll have to take your word for it
    :D
    I think the filter on the JV-880 is quite nice, I would assume the 1080 is similar. I know the JD-990 adds a few extra parameters

Actually JV-880, Super JV-1080 and JD have each different filter. Filters on Super JV and JD are very close, with more resonant power compared to JV. In some situations you would not notice a difference between Super JV and JD filters, unless you go to the top end, where JD filter sounds much warmer and more analog, and it has higher cutoff max point.

The JV filter is very different from these two. It has much less resonance power, and that makes it gentle, just like analog 12dB filter type of resonance.

There is a trick on Super JV to emulate JV filter. You simply halve the value of resonance on the Super JV (if Reso on JV was set to 80, on Super JV you set it to 40), and you got almost the same sound. This is important to note, as Super JV can load JV patches, and there are a lot of them available as a freeware.

Roland's JV to XV line is my favorite area. If anyone has any questions i'll be glad to help. Full list includes: JV-80, JV-90, JV-880, JV-1000, JV-1010, JV-1080, JV-2080, XP-30, XP-50, XP-60, XP-80, XV-3080, XV-5080, XV-88, XV-5050, XV-2020.

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Tell me - how do you 990-only guys deal without the lack of realtime control?

A Peavey PC1600x - a piece of hardware *every* MIDI musician should own IMHO.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Just to flesh out what DonSolaris said about features the JD-990 has over the JD-800...(taken from an old post I made)

---

The Roland JD-990 extended the synthesis of the Roland JD-800 synthesizer with the following features:

and probably a couple things I am missing...

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

There is a trick on Super JV to emulate JV filter. You simply halve the value of resonance on the Super JV (if Reso on JV was set to 80, on Super JV you set it to 40), and you got almost the same sound.

Thanks, nice trick. I like JV filter very much, and I've been wondering why Super JD resonance tend to clip....

• Members
    Originally posted by aeon The Roland JD-990 extended the synthesis of the Roland JD-800 synthesizer with the following features:

I hear JD-800 has 3MB ROM.

And I suspect there is a difference regarding waveform data compression. While JD-800 seems to use non-compressed linear PCM data, JD-990 can use SR-JV boards that use waveform data compression. I wonder this difference in the synth engines would lead to differences in sound between JD-800 and JD-990.

• Members

AK, i'm back in the club !!!!!!!

(check out New kit thread)

oh ya, quite nice. Gotta love the feel of those keys! Hopefully yours are all responsive.

i'd highly recommend looking into the musictronics expansion.

The PG-1000 is certainly Roland's nicest programmer ever and it's nice it works on the V-Synth and VariOS when they're in Linear mode.

I have to admit, i like the synth generators mainly over the PCM (but it's all good)

I think the envelopes are a large part of what makes Linear Synthesis special.

• Members

Originally posted by Sealed

Thanks, nice trick. I like JV filter very much, and I've been wondering why Super JD resonance tend to clip....

Oh, that is another interesting story. I did a lot of tests, and found the problem is in the WG gain of the JD. It appears to be permanently on +6 dB, while on Super JV you can manually set it up -6, 0 +6, +12. Of course, you leave it to 0 and no clipping. Too bad there is no WG gain on JD. Sometimes i need resonant pads, but distortion spoils it, as input of the filter gets overloaded. Too bad.... :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

oh ya, quite nice. Gotta love the feel of those keys!

I downloaded patches that you posted with your demos. I tried to find "ELP Sample" patch, which you mostly used in Linear Drift, but had no luck. Is it perhaps in some other bank?

• Members

A Peavey PC1600x - a piece of hardware *every* MIDI musician should own IMHO.

Ive actually really got my eye out for a Peavey 1600X - especially when I found out they have a whole preset list for the Kawai K5000S!!! That will be a totally different synth with in depth real time control. Programming it might actually be fun, rather than giving me the feeling Im trying to write Quake 5 in cobol :D

Thanks for all the input on the 990 - I didnt realize it had so many features over the JD-800. Im really interested in picking one up now...of course, a 1600x and the JD990 would mean no real reason to keep the JD-800 - Id nieed to find another synth with lots of knobs and blinky lights to take its place :D

• Members

I downloaded patches that you posted with your demos. I tried to find "ELP Sample" patch, which you mostly used in Linear Drift, but had no luck. Is it perhaps in some other bank?

if you have my main patches, you should have about 6 or 7 banks of 64. i think i had them as sysex....

hmnn-ive got something that measures 15mb already up on my server. I would think that patch HAS to be part of it. not exactly sure what im linking you to though, heh, but im sure it's good stuff.

http://analogkid.us/Patches/Linear.Zip

• Members

This is a little OT, but to Paolo Di Nicolantonio, I finally got a chance to check out your demos for the 990 w/vintage card. Very nice! I have to tell you that your demo for 221 Mr.B was awesome! The way it starts out with this tragic chord progression and evolves into a bouncy carnival of B3 spleandor. I don't know, maybe it's just where I'm at emotionally right now, but it painted a haunting, tragic vision in my mind of a heartbroken drunken man stumbling through an alleyway, the rain soaking his ragged suit and tie from an earlier evening engagement, tripping over trash and potholes that cover the ground leaning up against a dumpster to keep from falling off the face of the earth. Thank you for the soundtrack to my morning:D Your site kicks ass!

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

Yeah i downloaded it right after you post the demo. Ok, time to search it all.

BTW i noticed some banks have filenames "name.d50.z" . No idea what is it. I tried to load them to Sysex2k but no luck. It appears not to be *.d50 format. Which software you use to open them?

• Members

Originally posted by Nightsynth

This is a little OT, but to Paolo Di Nicolantonio, I finally got a chance to check out your demos for the 990 w/vintage card. Very nice! I have to tell you that your demo for 221 Mr.B was awesome! The way it starts out with this tragic chord progression and evolves into a bouncy carnival of B3 spleandor. I don't know, maybe it's just where I'm at emotionally right now, but it painted a haunting, tragic vision in my mind of a heartbroken drunken man stumbling through an alleyway, the rain soaking his ragged suit and tie from an earlier evening engagement, tripping over trash and potholes that cover the ground leaning up against a dumpster to keep from falling off the face of the earth. Thank you for the soundtrack to my morning:D Your site kicks ass!

Hey, thank you Nightsynth! All of that, in black and white film of course!

Archived