danelectro french toast SUCKS SO BAD

traitor

• Members

HOLY CRAP.

I have never played a pedal so worthy of being thrown into a pile of {censored}.

maybe it'll break because the french toast is made of junky plastic.

there really is no bang for the buck here.. just pure piece of junk.

The best part of the pedal, i have to admit, is the battery that it comes with.

GOSH. what a waste of $40.

• Members

Originally posted by traitor

HOLY CRAP.

I have never played a pedal so worthy of being thrown into a pile of {censored}.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Those high octave fuzz pedals often need the neck pickup with treble down at the guitar to get some of the classic sounds. I thought the French Toast was a pretty amazing bargin myself.

• Members

i'll likely never get rid of mine; i absolutely love what it sounds like, in several different contexts.

diff strokes for diff folks :cool:

and it wont break cuz its plastic, it will break only if it is abused. like any pedal.

perhaps it is your understanding of the pedal's purpose and use that totally sucks.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

What kind of sound are you looking for? Those high octave fuzz pedals often need the neck pickup with treble down at the guitar to get some of the classic sounds. I thought the French Toast was a pretty amazing bargin myself.

I never tried that with mine. I didn't like it either. It was too bright for my tastes. I ended up selling it for like $35 shipped! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I never tried that with mine. I didn't like it either. It was too bright for my tastes. I ended up selling it for like $35 shipped!
:eek:

The neck pickup, treble cut formula has applied to every octave up pedal I've ever tried, from the French Toast to the Experience to the Octane III. Its the route to classic octave up sounds, especially above the eight or ninth fret. Of course I like some of the more outre ring mod style sounds as well.

• Members

Tone-wise, it is a great pedal...if you like the Foxx Tone Machine fuzz and octave tones. But many find the Tone Machine's fuzz too aggresive and the octave too over-the-top. But if you like the tone, the French Toast is a great little cheap clone (the Tone Machine's creator also laid out the French Toast).

I can tell you now though, that since you don't like the French Toast, you can skip on the Prescription Experience, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, and the Tone Machine RI, because they all have that circuit. You can also skip the Roger Mayer Octavia, it may be a different circuit, but it sounds very similar. Thoguh, with any of these you can pull off a damn good KWS "Blue on Black" type tone.

As to the cheap construction...yeah, it is pretty poor. It doesn't tka enaything to snap off those knobs. But then, they Dano's average $25-30 around me, almost prices as a trinket to play with.

-Y.

• Members

i love it

i have owned a few over the years and ive noticed it is picky about amps.

with some amps ive had a full/thick, very creamy fuzz that sustained for days - through other amps it sounded like a transistor radio with some extra EQ on the highs'treble like bacon frying!

and it has nothing to do with good amp/cheap amp, it seems to choose amps at its own will that it loves.

what i have noticed though - is with the amps that it does not sound good, EVERY time it really came to life by putting a good quality OD right before it. it turned the trebly piercing bacon bitz into a smooth thick fuzz great for santana/hendrix type fluid leads - every time it worked for me by putting a good OD in front of it.

also, i gotta give it props because the octave up effect on that pedal tracks better than pedals out there costing much more, even the big name/price ones. the octave is very touch sensitive depending on how hard you attack. and its great for sonic freakouts. i guess overall id say its one of the better "bang for your buck" pedals out there if you like those fluid smooth creamy fuzz-tones (that is after a good OD if its not cooperating with your amp)

• Members

Originally posted by traitor

HOLY CRAP.

Agreed 100%..I just sold mine to a fellow forumite for $16.00, shipped.

• Members

As little as I use the classic octave up sound, a $200 Foxx Tone Machine is way more than I could stand to spend. The FT is perfect and priced right. Like another poster suggested, I use it after an overdrive pedal, keep the fuzz turned down, and only kick it in for the octave. Works just fine when used as intended(i.e bass pickup, 7th fret & up).

Archived