Can the Novation Remote SL line send Sysex?

Awake77

• Members
The amount of MIDI options for assigning to each control is unrivalled in the marketplace. All rotary controls and faders can be assigned to send CC, NRPN, RPN and SYSEX messages, with buttons also providing Note, MMC, PROG/BANK CHANGE and TEMPLATE No. options. Furthermore, the data can be assigned to a high level of detail, with specific pot ranges and button actions (Momentary, Toggle, Step) available, as well as multiple routing choices using any of the SL

• Members

Awake - I was also worried about the apparent limitation of the ReMOTE's sysex implementation when comparing that spec to the PC1600x. Back when, I had a 1600x that I was using as a programmer for my MKS-80 and didn't think that anything else (including the ReMOTE) would be capable of handling the task, especially if the sysex implementation was that "limited."

Turns out that most synths that use sysex as a means of parameter control tend to use typically between 7 to 12 byte strings to do what they need to do and 20 bytes is more than enough. I've used my original ReMOTE 25 to control not only that MKS-80, but pretty much every other synth I own that doesn't have knobs of its own and lots of softsynths to boot (it's awesome for my Virus Powercore). Combine that with the fact that the ReMOTE series has so many more physical controls, keys, and the SL series has all of that LCD real estate...I think it blows the Peavey and Kenton stuff out of the water (sold my 1600x a while back with no regrets at all).

The SL is gonna be the one to beat for a while to come IMHO. Now that the 61 key is finally available I will be snagging one come next paycheck ;)

Thanks!

bax

• Members

I want to get control over more parameters of my K5000S - was also thinking of a JD-990 or MircoQ, but real time control for sound design makes things go SO much faster.

I was looking at the 1600X, but the SL 25 looks really sweet. Its cool they make the Zero too, for people who dont need any keys :)

Thanks for the input!

• Members

here ya go gents! right from the manual.....

sysex length: this option sets the length of the sysex string from 0-12, excluding F0 and F7.

data type: 3 options: none, single or roland checksum. the last option will have fixed values for length and data position.

data position: this option sets the sysex variable data postion of the first byte. this value will be constrained by the length.

hope this helps.... it makes no sense to me ;)

Archived