Wavestation A/D backlight

Malik

• Members

ANyone ever tried to replace the backlight on the Wavestation A/D? Apparently, mine has been burnt out ever since I owned it.(thought it was normal for the screen to be so dark!)

I was hoping to save the cost of shipping the whole thing out to telesis, but if it involves hardcore soldering and is tricky, I may just have to do that.

Thanks folks

Malik

• Members

I've never owned a Wavestation, nor have I ever looked inside one but me thinks that the whole LCD panel is a standard component so replacing it should be a fairly simple matter. Try to get a service manual or open it up and see how comlicated it looks. See if you can identify the LCD panel.

In some forums, geeks replace the backlight with better looking colors and my guess is that it's not to difficult.

Do a search for modding, computers and LCD.

///j

• Members

Thanks for the advice, jomany. I actually did do a search for backlight replacement, and came to find that every device is different. Lots of folks said not even to attempt replacing backlights for keyboards (kurzweil, wavestation, etc.) while there was little information about rackmounts.

I'd love to dive in and start prying around, but I ruined my Yammy A3000 that way!! :cry:

definitely would like to know what I'm getting into before I take out the screws and soldering iron!

thanks mate

malik

• Members

I replaced the backlight on my Wavestation keyboard. It is a plastic sheet that slips underneath the LCD and solder the two connections (you unsolder the old one and leave it in place).

Stripping down the synth and putting it back together was the hard bit. I would guess that the rack may be easier.

I got mine from Synth Restore in the UK. The instructions are here http://synthrestore.co.uk/images/screens.DOC

• Members

Replacing the whole LCD is very expensive and fraught with problems as LCDs, particularly the graphical ones have several different built-in controller chips and you need to get the exact right ones.

Just replacing the backlight is a much better option for many synths.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by Malik

Thanks hermanos

I think I'm going to have a go at it meself.

Wonder what color I'll go with...let's see...don't have anything in blue yet!!

-m

Mine came in blue!

• Members

I replaced the backlight on my Roland D-550 module but it did not solve the problem. I suspect that something on the power board, like an inverter, that sends voltage to the backlight must have failed. Everything else is working fine, just no backlight.

• Members

Yep Joe at Telesis told me that the lights will dim down very low at end and you will still be able to tell if the inverter is working by the fact that it still giving out some light. If it was dim and then it just goes out, then it mostly likely is the inverter too. But if you still have a trickle of light then the inverter is okay and it's just a matter of changing out the EL tape element.

I asked him about changing the light color and he suggested that I use the same color that was originally in the unit, but that it was possible to change the color.

I haven't done it yet but I plan to soon on a couple of units. Joe says it not that big of a deal. The screen needs to come out and resolder the new EL light in and put it back together. We'll see......

• Members

I did the A/D a couple of years ago and it was pretty damn easy. I opted to send the whole backlight assmebly including the converter/decoder transformer thingy and Telesis mounted the new backlight on for me. The price difference for doing it this way is really small and worth saving the hassle. It worked great. I've shelved my unit since getting Legacy but I'm sure it still works fine.

Archived