Sign in to follow this  
M-1 Fan

I need help with some chords.

Please tell me the names of these piano chords:

1. I'm playing A, Db, and F with a Db bass.

2. I'm playing a Bb but there's a C note in it. The notes are F, Bb, C, and D.

Originally posted by Yoozer

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/
says...

C# augmented (or A augmented) for the first

No clue for the second.

Thanks. The song I'm writing is really in the key of F. It's got chords like Eb, Dm, and Gm in it. The C# does not compute. I'm a guitar player and I don't know what chords I'm playing. I just need the chord names so that I can communicate the song with someone else.

Well, F, Bb, C, and D should be a Bb9. I don't think it can have other names.

The augmented (+) one is right.

Not knowing the song...

The first chord is likely an A with an augmented 5th (nice leading chord to the 4).

On the Bb, I 've also seen this chord notated as a Bb2 or Bb(add 2) (more in gospel and country music) indicating a triad with the added 2nd.

The 1st one, voiced the way you say, is a Db+. (C#+ is right too but not in the key you say the song is in)

The 2nd chord I'd call a Bbadd9, but if the F is in the bass as well you could call it an F6sus4. Or you could call it Bbadd9/F

There are so many ways to notate it, just use what you are comfortable with. In this one band I play with, the 2nd keyboard player has to be meticulous with how she writes out things. I was helping her with a part, and I showed her the chord, which to me, was a Bmaj9- I played A# C# D# F# in the right hand. She was like no, that's not Bmaj9, there is no B in it. I had to explain that the B was implied, since the bass player was playing the root and the keys were filling in the harmonics. She's a wonderful player, but is just not well versed in creating or identifying chord inversions. Sometimes you don't have to be so literal with what you are doing.