stars of the lid/ambient sounds

mchristi

• Members

hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of the sounds that come from a lot of the Stars of the Lid records, especially "Avec Laudenum" and "The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid". I was hoping to get your great ears to see how you think this sound is created. To me I could hear things such as overly processed/produced strings (cello), possibly low-pass analog pads, bowed guitar with a lot of reverb, etc.

I can only find a couple of tracks on the net, but hopefully some of you listen to these guys and know what I'm talking about.

here's one:

http://www.brainwashed.com/common/sounds/mp3/stars_of_the_lid-i_will_surround_you.mp3

and another:

http://www.brainwashed.com/common/sounds/mp3/stars_of_the_lid-austin_tx_mental_hospital_2.mp3

a lot of the sounds resemble string instruments. The first one seems more analog pad, second more strings.

Would love your input!

• Members

Originally posted by mchristi

hey guys,

To me I could hear things such as overly processed/produced strings (cello), possibly low-pass analog pads, bowed guitar with a lot of reverb, etc.

a lot of the sounds resemble string instruments. The first one seems more analog pad, second more strings.

Also, maybe a tape echo plugin like the one in Logic Pro with the flutter rate and intensity turned up and some reverse reverb/delay to make it sound mellotron-like.

For something similar, check out The Dead Texan, a project from one member of SOTL.

I'm a fan of true ambient compositions (like SOTL, Eno, Lull, etc.) as opposed to ambient with drum tracks added in an attempt to be more marketable.

• Members

Originally posted by Crawling Wind

Don't those guys both play guitar? I love that band.

Yes I've heard that as well, but I know for "Tired Sounds" they brought in other instruments.

And I love Labradford too. :)

I'll look into that tape echo possibility thanks.

anyone else?

• Members

One of my favourite instruments for ambient is the Fender Stratocaster. Use pick-up with most low end and set treble between 1 & 3.

Plug it in mixer through Sansamp and DI, remove the dry signal (thus removing possible fast attack) and only mix in processed signal such as reverb, chorus, delays (used Line 6DL4 but recently upgraded to Echo pro rack). Push and pull the tremelo bar softly for motion and layer with string pads, and combine low end/high end FM synth.

My current favourite band producing this kind of music is Marconi Union. Stongly recommended listen.

• Members

Originally posted by eminor9

One of my favourite instruments for ambient is the Fender Stratocaster. Use pick-up with most low end and set treble between 1 & 3.

Plug it in mixer through Sansamp and DI, remove the dry signal (thus removing possible fast attack) and only mix in processed signal such as reverb, chorus, delays (used Line 6DL4 but recently upgraded to Echo pro rack). Push and pull the tremelo bar softly for motion and layer with string pads, and combine low end/high end FM synth.

My current favourite band producing this kind of music is Marconi Union. Stongly recommended listen.

I just checked out Marconi Union, thanks so much, some amazing sounds!

I must plead ignorance here though - how can one separate the dry original track (of let's say a Strat) with the wet signal and just keep the wet signal (of delays and reverbs, etc) though the mixer? Nothing is done in the production software? (e.g. Nuendo).

• Members

Originally posted by mchristi

I just checked out Marconi Union, thanks so much, some amazing sounds!

I must plead ignorance here though - how can one separate the dry original track (of let's say a Strat) with the wet signal and just keep the wet signal (of delays and reverbs, etc) though the mixer? Nothing is done in the production software? (e.g. Nuendo).

Use hardware mixer only with reverb processor in aux s/r configuration. Input fader of guitar completely down and Aux knob to whatever position = no dry signal, only effected.

This allowed me to nail Sigur Ros massive bowed guitar sound :) (without a bow actually).

Marconi Union is a must really and even more enjoyable on a good hi-fi system, their bass sounds go very low and high end is crystal clear.

• Members

Good to see someone else into Marconi Union, I thought I was the only person in the world into them, I really love their album, also they've got an earlier one which I'm planning to get hold of.

I know what you mean about the bass goes low and the top end is clear, it's got a fantastic production.

I also like the new CD by Brian McBride, which really sounds like a Stars of the Lid album and you should check out Loscil's last 3 Plume, First Narrows and Submers if you haven't already

• Members

Originally posted by kawna

Good to see someone else into Marconi Union, I thought I was the only person in the world into them, I really love their album, also they've got an earlier one which I'm planning to get hold of.

I know what you mean about the bass goes low and the top end is clear, it's got a fantastic production.

I also like the new CD by Brian McBride, which really sounds like a Stars of the Lid album and you should check out Loscil's last 3 Plume, First Narrows and Submers if you haven't already

Hi, and welcome to the board :wave:

Marconi's first album is a bit less coherent than the second one but still brilliant nonetheless, it contains more acoustic drums actually.

...and thanks for the other recommendations which I'll try to check out as soon as I can.

Archived