Triton Le - sound quality in sequencer

Egens

• Members

egens,

Just make it easy on yourself and multitrack into your DAW while in program mode.

Onboard sequencers on workstations, even the best of them, really shouldn't be used for professional recordings. They are best used for some live performance applications (sequenced loops, etc.) so you don't have to drag a PC to your gig. Or (as already mentioned) scratch recordings - you have a basic idea and want to get it down without starting up your computer.

I know that stuff like the Oasys and Triton Studio were built for actual pro recording, but not many pros would do that. PC/DAW recording is so much more powerful and flexible (and cheaper).

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

Are you complaining about having only 1 insert effect or do you still not understand the concept of a fixed effects capacity?

The basic issue is as follows:

-- every synth workstation has a fixed effects processing capacity

-- effects sound good

-- sound designers tend to use effects on factory sounds/patches, many times using multiple effects on a single sound

-- when these various sounds are used in Song/Sequencer/multi-timbral mode, one can easily get in a situation where a person ends up trying to use more effects than there is effects capacity.

P.S. -- The other more expensive Triton models support 5 IFX because they have an additional effects processing chip in them

Hmm...there is a chance I didn't understand.

But I think I have a right point;

When I use the Auto Song Setup from prog mode, it takes the program, in it's original form, with all of it's effects, directly into the sequencer, automaticlly to track 1.

That means, that the rest of the tracks , can't be played with quality sounds (I mean, original form sounds). '

Are you saying that if I had 5 insert effects in my triton le (Lighted edition,by the way.. not limited), I could record 5 tracks, with "quality sounds"(and not only 1) ?

I mean, it doesn't seems reasonable to me... Why did they even bothered doing this Auto Song Setup option, if it can be used only in 1 track out of the 16 tracks the sequencer have?

It doesn't sounds logical that the insert effects are related to the number of Auto song setups.... (I mean, are you saying that if I wished to play "normally",with "quality sound", it's original form, in all 16 tracks, My keyboard had to have 16 insert effecs?!)

Thank you very much.

I think I have a good point.

• Members

thats why is called triton "LE" -- Limited edition!

Hehe.... only in the synth world, usually limited edition means it's better and more rare than the normal stuff.:p

With workstation keyboards, you really MUST read the manuals. Here is my suggestion:

1. ....

You forgot number 5, which is a month or two after owning the synth go back and read all the manuals again.

I think I have a good point.

You have it right now, and yes, it's stupid they should reduce the poly and keep the effects instead. Claim 128 note poly is crap if the sounds are not the same.

• Members

Originally posted by Egens

But I think I have a right point;

When I use the Auto Song Setup from prog mode, it takes the program, in it's original form, with all of it's effects, directly into the sequencer, automaticlly to track 1.

That means, that the rest of the tracks , can't be played with quality sounds (I mean, original form sounds). '

Are you saying that if I had 5 insert effects in my triton le (Lighted edition,by the way.. not limited), I could record 5 tracks, with "quality sounds"(and not only 1) ?

Yes. The Triton LE can only use 1 insert effect at a time. You could have multiple timbres or tracks using that single insert effect (just like an insert on a mixing board), but you can only use 1 insert effect (IFX).

As an example, let's say you have:

-- Program A001 that uses Insert Effect # 52 -- Reverb Hall (intended to simulate the reverberation of a mid-size concert hall)

-- Program A002 that uses Insert Effect # 2 -- Stereo Compressor

-- Program A003 that uses Insert Effect # 52 -- Reverb Hall

Implications

-- In Program Mode, each of these will sound "as intended", since each uses only 1 insert effect

-- In any other mode (Combi, Sequencer) if you try to use all of these programs together they will not sound the same as in Program mode because, in total, they use 2 different insert effects

-- In Combi and Sequencer Mode you COULD use Programs A001 and A003 and they could be setup to sound "normal" since they both use the same insert effect

I mean, it doesn't seems reasonable to me... Why did they even bothered doing this Auto Song Setup option, if it can be used only in 1 track out of the 16 tracks the sequencer have?

Because it is an effort saving function.

The Auto Song Setup function saves you the effort of manually recreating the settings of one Program or one Combination in the Sequencer.

I mean, are you saying that if I wished to play "normally",with "quality sound", it's original form, in all 16 tracks, My keyboard had to have 16 insert effects?!)

Perhaps, if those 16 track's Programs used 16 different effects.

Each one of those insert effects requires a certain amount of computing horsepower to modify the audio signal it is being sent. The Triton LE (like most keyboard workstations) has a fixed amount of horsepower that is available to process effects. With insert effects, the LE, in any of its operating modes (Program, Combi, Sequencer) only has the horsepower to process 1 insert effect.

1 IFX, 1 IFX, 1 IFX, 1 IFX.

With the other Tritons, it is 5 IFX, 5 IFX, 5 IFX. Since many of the other Triton Factory Programs use multiple insert effects, you can run into the same problem -- running out of effects power in Sequencer Mode.

Any workstation will have certain constraints that are imposed so the computer inside doesn't crash and the keyboard works as intended.

On the other hand in the personal computer world, you can normally keep adding effects to a song in your sequencer/digital audio program until the system either crashes or until you experience audio quality problems (audio drop-outs).

• Members

Ok thanks MartinHines.. I get it.

I did find out that if I setup for example a distortion guitar sound, some more sound will have good quality, because they are also guitars with distortion... (Fir example, I stetuped the sound DistortionGuitar into the sec, and then the sound feedback Guitar sounded good as well).

Any way, I'm happy with it... I like my sequencer, and my triton le.

It really ease a great board, especially for the price I paid for it... (850$).

• Members

and whats DAW? do you mean external sequencer or something like that?

If I'm not mistaken: Digital Audio Workstation (software). Examples: Cubase, Fruityloops, ProTools, Tracktion, etc. etc. etc.

In the old days (before fast PCs) sequencer software used to just record MIDI data and your synth played back the MIDI data. Now, most apps record audio as well as MIDI. You can record, mix, and master your own CD now with most DAW applications.

Archived