new track: worth the extra trouble?

pix

• Members

started playing around with some guitar riffs and this thing came out. It was sounding and reminding me a lot of early rinocerose stuff :thu: but in the end it was starting to sound lame. :bor:

I'd have to re work the synth parts, play some more guitar solos/riffs, get drum breaks, work the mix, etc, but don't know if it's worth the extra work.

what you give it in lameness factor 1-10?

should I work it out a little more or add it to the vault of the forever lost promising ideas?

:D

http://www.thewanderland.net/audio/rhino.mp3

thanks for listening

• Members

loved the guitar chords, bass and drums, they formed a great base for the track. the distorted solo didn't do as much for me sonically or melodically, but that's likely down to personal musical taste. if it was my track, i would add something else melodic and catchy that was somewhere between the repetitiveness of the backing tracks, and the freeform solo of the solo part. i would cut down the solo part to the best parts and bring it in occasionally for emphasis rather than throughout. i would also probably make it a little less harsh sounding. this would of course completely change the feel and purpose of your track, but if it was mine that's what i'd do! i did like the track and i do think its definitely worth working on further in whatever direction you choose.

i always like the tracks you put up, and this one was different from what i was expecting... thanks for posting it.

edit: actually listening again you do this with the whole middle section... the solo is just at the beginning and end. i'd still try break it up somehow and rearrange things, in the beginning in particular it goes on a bit too long for me.

• Members

What submodern said:) :thu:

Track definitely has potential. I think the guitar solo should sound thicker/warmer and be more of a strong melody that comes in and out at the right time.

What are you using for the synth-vocal sound?

• Members

yeah, thanks for the directions. the solo definitely sounds harsh and it's too repetitive. I usually never put guitar in my tracks and I find it really hard to come up with good lead sounds. It's hard to get them fat without getting harsh. I guess that's why guitar heads spend years after "the tone" :freak:

but I'll try and give it a twist. I've been enjoying messing with the guitar so I'll try to work that. get some more solo parts and pick the best. work out the tone a bit too. I don't know how to make it softer though. The whole guitar thing is asking for some dirt in the sound. hmmm

oh, and the vocals are some old vocal samples I got a long time ago played in simpler/impulse

• Members

yeah, thanks for the directions. the solo definitely sounds harsh and it's too repetitive. I usually never put guitar in my tracks and I find it really hard to come up with good lead sounds. It's hard to get them fat without getting harsh. I guess that's why guitar heads spend years after "the tone"

What do you use for guitar recording?

• Members

Some advice:

Guitar solo could benifit from being alternated with some organ, don't be afraid to play lower notes on guitar, add an unexpcted noter here and there, don't limit yourself to the scale, alternate guitar riff with clavinet style stuff, this track is begging for it. As it is now, you've got a supa-funky guitar riff with a too fast balad-like solo (pretty high lameness factor ;) ). Catchy funky stuff but needs some work. And work on your guitar solo technique to make it sound more fluid (hammer ons, pull offs, slightly bending on sustained notes gives it a more loose feel).

• Members

To be honest, I wasn't too big on the slow Santana style lick, it just didn't fit into the song for me, unless you want a pure psychadelic song. It's got the groove, but I think you could use some breakdowns for the drums. I liked the middle where you brought in the synths, although I thought it was subtle. It could just a little more 'chorus' like or some kind of peak.

That all depends on what direction you are trying to go because I could see this song going quite few different ways. I would've also liked a little more cowbell :p I mean :D bass guitar or synth bass. I think the middle part with all those synths lines could be made into a chorus and maybe embellished a bit. I would come up with another melody besides the Santana guitar lick though, I thought I was in the 70's for a second.

The track's got potential. :thu:

Archived