Have any of you guys ever sampled a sound or loop from someone else's music?

LANSTARR

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People who waste their time and energy hating on a particular stlye of music are just ghey. Everyone has their own tastes, and I know there's certain genres I don't like, but I don't waste my time or energy telling the world how much they suck. Like that's gonna change a {censored}ing thing.

I just listen to what I like, then move on.

I mean that "__ sucks" {censored} is so junior high. Grow up, kid.

• Members
Originally posted by MuzikB

hell, I'm cutting up "True" by Spandau Ballet right now.

I have no problem with creatively chopping up existing tunes and I don't buy into the stigma of using certain songs because of their apparent popularity/cheesiness/genre, but I think something's lost if you're sampling a tune that others have sampled before, even if you're doing it in a different way... I just think it's real cool if you sample from a tune that hardly anyone's touched because people ddin't expect it to be "samplable." So "True" has been done many times over. Why not sample "Gold" or "Lifeline" instead ? :)

• Members

This argument is tired.

Minus a few self-imposed rules (that I break every now and then depending on situation) I sample from everywhere. Vinyl, TV, DVD, old video tapes, etc.. I enjoy taking preeexisting sounds and twisting them into something new - or even taking something a little familiar and throwing a different spin on it, giving people a new way to think about it.

Hell, a lot of times I'll be listening to a song and think of stuff to add or watching {censored} on cable and hear something to twist or layer or generally {censored} around with. I'll save it (thanks, DVR), run a stereo out from the cable box to my laptop, record into Live and layer some stuff over it. It's fun.

Try this: Take a loop from a song you like. Any song. Just let it un and put 5-6 tracks of stuff over it. Drums, film quotes, synth stabs, bass, monologues from CSI, whatever. Then take the orginal loop away and fill the gap. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, dump it. I lose hours doing this sometimes...

• Members

...I like a lot of hip hop. But isn't the current crop kind of, well, like hair metal was in the eighties? Boooring.

Interesting to note that most hip-hop these days does NOT sample from other tunes! Just stupid 808 beats, annoying sawtooth waves and stupid high pitched sounds buzzing about.

So maybe the whole sampling thing wasn't a bad idea..haha.

• Members
Originally posted by elsongs

I have no problem with creatively chopping up existing tunes and I don't buy into the stigma of using certain songs because of their apparent popularity/cheesiness/genre, but I think something's lost if you're sampling a tune that others have sampled before, even if you're doing it in a different way... I just think it's real cool if you sample from a tune that hardly anyone's touched because people ddin't expect it to be "samplable." So "True" has been done many times over. Why not sample "Gold" or "Lifeline" instead ?
:)

Because the bass tone is a excellent starting point for some created basses and the vocal chorus makes for an excellent chilled out pad.

But you do have a substantial point my friend. :) Which is why I have records and with a little more time and money, After I get my S90ES, I gunning for an MV-8000.

• Members
Originally posted by xavios

:mad:
RACIST!
:mad:

but i'm the racist for poitning out the biggotry in his post...

HAHAH BITCHEZ AN HOES

yeah that little spoof wasnt racist or anything
his little gizoogle thing wasnt at all racist either

hypocrite

dont paint me your color because i called him on it, but then im sure you two go to the same rallies and cross burnings so it doesnt suprise me...

its hilarious how you can overlook his blatant boggotry d yet im a racist

good job

• Members
Originally posted by myteeGTi

I will assume you're talking about me (or maybe Don Solaris?). So anyone that hates rap/hiphop, or makes fun if it in any way is automatically a southern dandy?
:rolleyes:

for all you know I could be black...

rap sucks.

no, not anyone who hates it is a "southern dandy"

generally people who emitt the kind of broad, unmitigated hate for it that you did and a few others are, they GENERALLY arent black.... i dont at all assume you are anything... the point of it, and it WAS directed at solaris, was that his previous two posts had more then a few hints of racism in them.

for teh folks who say that non samled hip hop is nothing but 8080's and sawtooth waves... again, i say, broaden your horizon

dont sit here and overgeneralize an entire culture simply because you havent been exposed to anything more...

• Members

Interesting to note that most hip-hop these days does NOT sample from other tunes! Just stupid 808 beats, annoying sawtooth waves and stupid high pitched sounds buzzing about.

So maybe the whole sampling thing wasn't a bad idea..haha.

Give this man a round of applause!!! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by LANSTARR

Give this man a round of applause!!!
:thu:

this is insane

how about the roots
how about mission, what about jr rotem
how about the neptunes
there is much more out there then the few things that you actually hear on the radio, and there are a few cats ON the radio that still exemplify a greater musical aptitude then you are giving credit

whatever though

you guys can stay in your closed minded little shells

see im not trying to make anyone like hip hop, your taste is your atse and im cool with taht, but its the ignorant generalizations taht so many of you are making that really need to change

• Members

Originally posted by LameAim

Try this: Take a loop from a song you like. Any song. Just let it un and put 5-6 tracks of stuff over it. Drums, film quotes, synth stabs, bass, monologues from CSI, whatever. Then take the orginal loop away and fill the gap. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, dump it. I lose hours doing this sometimes...

i've done this a few times; later, i learned that it was standard operating procedure for 808 state - they called it "ghosting", iirc.

• Members

chuck d and hank shocklee {bomb squad} discuss this state of affairs exhaustively here:

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/public_enemy.html

We were forced to start using different organic instruments, but you can't really get the right kind of compression that way. A guitar sampled off a record is going to hit differently than a guitar sampled in the studio. The guitar that's sampled off a record is going to have all the compression that they put on the recording, the equalization. It's going to hit the tape harder. It's going to slap at you. Something that's organic is almost going to have a powder effect. It hits more like a pillow than a piece of wood. So those things change your mood, the feeling you can get off of a record. If you notice that by the early 1990s, the sound has gotten a lot softer.

• Members

Originally posted by cold truth

dont paint me your color because i called him on it, but then im sure you two go to the same rallies and cross burnings so it doesnt suprise me...

dude, just because there are other dip{censored}s on KSS doesn't give you carte blanche to jump on the pig-pile. have dignity.

edit, no i don't think don solaris is a dip{censored}

• Members

Originally posted by syncretism

dude, just because there are other dip{censored}s on KSS doesn't give you carte blanche to jump on the pig-pile. have dignity.

edit, no i don't think don solaris is a dip{censored}

i sure earned my lesson

no more pointing out racist undertones and shedding light on the obvious ignorance that permeates some of the remarks and pictures people are putting up

no more, i have had and epiphany realized that posting things that are offensive is only allowed to come from one direction

• Members

lol. get a grip, yo.

at what point did i come off like my only exposure to hip-hop was MTV (which i haven't even seen in probably twelve years) or mainstream radio (which i don't listen to)? i got into hip hop in '86, thanks.

but yeah, i think for the most part it breeds stupidity:

343112-wiggers.jpg

life was so much better when the idiots listened to stuff like AC/DC...

• Members

your characterization of todays hip hop scene denotes a serious lack of exposure to anything BUT the mtv/clearchannel crowd

i dont watch mtv

i dont listen to the radio

yet i know who these guys are, why? because it all around us! ou see commercials, you hear other people play it, you hear it in music stores, etc... and yhour VERY limited viewpoint of "today's" hip hop scene tells me that you really arent up on anything outside of mainstream rap culture...

86 eh? im supposed to be impressed? that supposed to give you some credibility? lol

• Members

Originally posted by cold truth

your characterization of todays hip hop scene denotes a serious lack of exposure to anything BUT the mtv/clearchannel crowd

The problem is, that is what the majority are exposed to, and so that is what the majority know...

• Members

hey Cold Truth, keep your Glock in your pants. Just cause some people dont appreciate rap hardly makes them racist. I bet many of these same people do appreciate other forms of musical expression pioneered by black musicians. Soul, Jazz, R&B... maybe they have the perception that by and large Rap and Hip Hop arent forms dominated by players and composers... gee, you think there aren't a few black musicans who might feel the same way? What would Miles have to say about the artform? Would Hendrix, or Wes Montgomery, or Monk be completely non judgemental of the genre?
You took a discussion on a musical form and turned it into a diatribe on race. But are the same people that diss the Black Eyed Peas and Outkast rushing out to pick up the latest Eminem? Probably not. It's possibly a reflection of the methodology and culture of Rap that shapes their attitude. Maybe these guys are into players of instruments more than they are into producers?
Perhaps if more rappers along the lines of Speech sold records like Hooplah, instead of the glorification of vanity and violence, the artform would have less resistance and fewer accusations of being cliche rants about personal sexual prowess, personal side arms, material shallowness, and senseless violent antisocial behavior.

hmppphhh!

So, before you step up, just remember, when I whip out my sawed off, bodies get hauled off.

Archived