Have any of you guys ever sampled a sound or loop from someone else's music?

LANSTARR

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by program_insect

Sampling is awesome because it's easier to see if the person who made the music has any taste or not.

booyaka! this is why i like DJs, like /rupture, or musically literate bands, like stereolab, broadcast and mr. bungle. I don't trust any musician who's not a rabid fan of other artists.

i'm not especially knowledgable of the form, but i hear some remarkable music in contemporary hip hop from all budgets, be it the earliest clouddead and def jux releases or the summer's biggest hit booming from a car outside my window. last year, i heard a kid playing some lil jon on his sony discman - sick distorted, hyper-programmed, but head-noddable 808 and glitch beats - everything i try my damnedest to do, but never seem to get quite right. the vocal delivery's not my thing, but those beats, damn, damn.

• Members
Originally posted by cold truth

i wouldnt be at all suprised if you had a confederate flag flying over your trailer

I will assume you're talking about me (or maybe Don Solaris?). So anyone that hates rap/hiphop, or makes fun if it in any way is automatically a southern dandy? :rolleyes:

for all you know I could be black...

rap sucks.

• Members

Originally posted by cold truth

i guess the creative, insightful wordplay of guys like common or mos def or rakim or andre 3000 or the poetry of aesop rock or a guy like pharoahe monch are all sad excuses for writing, even though they run creative circles around many a rockers cliched pretentiousness

ooh snap! we've got a fellow backpacker in the house

• Members
Originally posted by myteeGTi

I will assume you're talking about me (or maybe Don Solaris?). So anyone that hates rap/hiphop, or makes fun if it in any way is automatically a southern dandy?
:rolleyes:

Oh, i *HOPE* he was not talking about me. If he was i will PM him content of my mp3 directory. Or better put it here on public - that should mark his judging skills. :D

• Members

I think most of us all have uses for 'found objects' in music -- whether they be samples, loops, snippets of audio, break beats, whatever.

But the truly creative person doesn't even need to think about how to integrate it into a new setting. It just happens whether the goal is to make it identifiable or not so at all.

Having grown up with one of the family businesses being a scrap metal yard, I know the delights of going through a new shipment of scrap and looking for things like statues with broken arms, old Cadillac emblems, old metal factory lockers or outdated mainframe computers with their yards and yards of colorful rainbow ribbons.

(It was also exceedingly fun to smash that stuff up, too.)

"Baby, I've been ... breaking glass in your rooom again."

"Listen! BREE! BRAA! BRUM!"

It's amazing and gratifying to see what you can make out of something that's been tossed aside or seems past its useful life.

Personally, I find a lot to admire in hip-hop/rap/r&b ... and I TRY to listen to it as much as I can ... the beats, the wordplay, sense of humor, some of the instrumentation, the production techniques ...

although the overall style can get monotonous at times, you could say that about any genre in general ...

Personally, I don't use clips from other songs -- yet -- mostly audio clips from movies like Woody Allen's "Interiors," Joan Craford's last film "Trog" or lately from web videos from people's video blogs, international TV shows or even Al-Queda propaganda (yikes!).

• Members
Originally posted by Diametro

But the truly creative person doesn't even need to think

• Members

Originally post by object.session

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

quote:

Umm ... what's your point in using an incomplete quotation out of context?

This is the full quote ...

"But the truly creative person doesn't even need to think about how to integrate it [found sounds] into a new setting. It just happens whether the goal is to make it identifiable or not so at all."

Being functionally creative is the result of years of applying unique solutions in artistic situations.

But that was an extremely creative use of a partial quotation.
:rolleyes:

Please explain your intent, sir.

• Members

Yeah, but if so, he didn't do very much to "make it his own" or put it in any kind of interesting context.

grade: F

And anyway, I'd even stand by his partial quotation ...

Creative people rarely think about being creative ... They simply do.

• Members

Yeah, but if so, he didn't do very much to "make it his own" or put it in any kind of interesting context.

grade: F

And anyway, I'd even stand by his partial quotation ...

Creative people rarely think about being creative ... They simply do.

:cry:

but really, i disagree. just the fact that i've there have been several posts in response to mine show that it's a success. anyway, there's the context of the thread, the board, etc. i give myself a C+.

woo!!! :)

(note: if it's not clear, my post was meant as a joke. a joke in the fact i was taking what you said out of context. (leaving it open to be recontextualized, in the way you did or in other possible ways.) no offense meant, though.)

• Members

Some people could call out hip hop for doing this. I could easily go on about the lack of talent hip hop has, take a Queen song and let's make it our own! What a concept, and one for the money and yeah, for the money. ;) Not cool all you self inflated so called producers.

Ok, someone on page 1 said it, using it in a creative way is the key. Chopping up loops is ok, sometimes some drum hits you can't find in your own sample library but hear on a song of someone's cd is all you have if you're going to get that drum vibe you're after.

Generally I'm not tooo big on sampling other people's stuff, but if it's mangled or cut up really small, then that's better.

It can lead to disaster: often times samples will sound cliche and just annoying. The worst part is when that cliche becomes popular just because it's cliche. People want to feel they can know what to expect. They love' it (said in a Garth Algar tone).
:p

Archived