J Mascis is boering

bp 1

• Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

Dinosaur Jr. have played a pivotal role in my life as a music geek, most definitely. Where You Been and Your're Living All Over Me are classic records.

and

Dinosaur Junior is just a rock band. One with a pretty wimpy personality (despite the volume), which does indeed set them apart from much testosterone-fueled rock. It's not like the brawn is replaced with brains, however.

Arguments that their music is brain food just don't wash. I don't care how many Plexis the guy used or uses.

I'm sorry, but all the trucker's caps in the world can't save you now... J is real. That is why I dig him so much. He isn't a scenester. His indie cred is untouchable because it is nonexistent.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I'm sorry, but all the trucker's caps in the world can't save you now... J is real. That is why I dig him so much. He isn't a scenester. His indie cred is untouchable because it is nonexistent.

truckers caps?

scenesters?

indie cred?

What are you talking about?

• Members

If early Dinosaur Jr. isn't complex, than lead the way. What satisfies your advanced palettes?

I dunno; I don't care if music is complex or not or how advanced a palette it seeks to satisfy.

I love much of Dinosaur's music. I just don't love it because it is complex. Because I don't find it very complex.

• Members

truckers caps?

scenesters?

indie cred?

What are you talking about?

You come off as a indie scenester. I was insulting you. I am sure you outgrew your trucker cap months ago. The whole "I'm so beyond Dinosaur Jr." thing you were saying struck me as ridiculous.

J. isn't "cool" enough for most scenesters. He has more Napoleon Dynamite in him than (Insert name of trendy music personality here). Whether he is "wimpy" or not is irrelevant. The guy's music does rock and it is complex. I would love to hear someone reproduce any of the stuff off off the first three albums with a vintage jazzmaster, big muff, and a plexi at their disposal. I'm betting most can't. This is why his music is complex. That {censored} isn't just plug and play.

• Members

I dunno; I don't care if music is complex or not or how advanced a palette it seeks to satisfy.

I love much of Dinosaur's music. I just don't love it because it is complex. Because I don't find it very complex.

+1

I listen to Dino for the same reason I listen to the Stooges or something, cos I want the rush. Not because its a difficult listen. Although, reading back over the posts, I will admit that his effects usuage is pretty clever on stuff like "They Always Come" and "Keep The Glove"

• Members

You come off as a indie scenester. I was insulting you. I am sure you outgrew your trucker cap months ago. The whole "I'm so beyond Dinosaur Jr." thing you were saying struck me as ridiculous.

J. isn't "cool" enough for most scenesters. He has more Napoleon Dynamite in him than (Insert name of trendy music personality here). Whether he is "wimpy" or not is irrelevant. The guy's music does rock and it is complex. I would love to hear someone reproduce any of the stuff off off the first three albums with a vintage jazzmaster, big muff, and a plexi at their disposal. I'm betting most can't. This is why his music is complex. That {censored} isn't just plug and play.

As long as you don't think you don't have me pegged because, um. . . not sure why you would think you have me pegged, or why such would interest you in the first place, exactly.

Also, I so much as hinted that I am "beyond" Dinosaur when? When I called two albums "classics?"

Could it be that I just, um, don't agree with you about Dinosaur's place in the rock spectrum as far as intellect goes?

• Members

As long as you don't think you don't have me pegged because, um. . . not sure why you would think you have me pegged, or why such would interest you in the first place, exactly.

Also, I so much as hinted that I am "beyond" Dinosaur when? When I called two albums "classics?"

Could it be that I just, um, don't agree with you about Dinosaur's place in the rock spectrum as far as intellect goes?

Ok.

The thing is, I just got done commuting out of Boston and You're Living All Over Me kept me company. The album is fairly amazing to me. I can't account for other's opinions, but that album is very complex tonally. Lot's going on there. Also, I don't believe it is layered with different tracks. That {censored} is played from the beginning to the end in all its glory. Also, the guy uses effects like nobodies business before anyone was using effects like nobodies business. That's gotta count for something.

• Members

Ok.

The thing is, I just got done commuting out of Boston and You're Living All Over Me kept me company. The album is fairly amazing to me. I can't account for other's opinions, but that album is very complex tonally. Lot's going on there. Also, I don't believe it is layered with different tracks. That {censored} is played from the beginning to the end in all its glory. Also, the guy uses effects like nobodies business before anyone was using effects like nobodies business. That's gotta count for something.

My Boston commuting experiences rendered me catatonic. Seriously, it was out of the car and into a fetal position. I hear ya.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

It's always funny when people get precious over these things ... {censored} I'll bite.
:D

I'll tell what I think leads the way and was way beyond DJ as a band ... go get Swans Filth album from 1982. Dinosaur Jnr were just bubblegum to me in the 80's, sorry.

{censored}, old man, I am waiting for you to tell us all about the REAL flappers... :rolleyes::cool::D

flapper.jpg

How's your charleston hangin', bitch... :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Kids today ... sheesh ... the old men these days are cooler than the kids, which is telling.
:p

Aww, come on. That was funny. I busted your balls pretty good.

Tell me, is Rose Tattoo considered good in Australia? I saw one of their videos last week on VH1 Classic. It was pretty bad. From the early 80s. Plus, what's with all the album covers with those creepy dudes all groping each other.

• Members

Aww, come on. That was funny. I busted your balls pretty good.

Tell me, is Rose Tattoo considered good in Australia? I saw one of their videos last week on VH1 Classic. It was pretty bad. From the early 80s. Plus, what's with all the album covers with those creepy dudes all groping each other.

:D You made me laugh for sure ...

I actually know Angry Anderson, he's a family friend and lives just up the road from my family. My old mans a professional rocker also so these things are common. Yeah. Rose Tattoo were never mainstream here, they did have a few chart toppers with later ballads but they were always considered a hard rock Aussie Pub band that really catered to prisoners and Bike gangs.

Their first album is awesome! I guess they had to squeeze everybody into the photograph with the album covers. ;)

• Members

A few more thoughts since I started this thread this morning. I was a little pissed last night since I spent a fair amount of cash only to have the typical sound man - ruin the mix. I'm sure Lou cranks on bass but the only notes I heard him play were when J stopped for a second. Also, why do they always mic the bass drum and then have it thump so loud that it drowns out the entire mix?

I moved all over the place and it still sounded like mud. This seems to happen everywhere I go. I know- it's my untrained ears.

Colorsound. I hear what you are saying and somewhat agree. J is very talented and was doing things way before a lot of artist. He does deserve credit and respect for what he has accomplished as an artist. I admit that I'm not very knowledgable about DJ. I think 'Green Mind' was a great record so what do I know. I just wasn't ready for a solid list of songs that basically had the same tempo. I know you could rip me to shreads but for my taste- break it up a bit- Slow it down- speed it up - rock your ass off then etc. etc.

I don't claim to be an intellect musically but I will say that when I was in high school and evryone was into Zep and Halen - I was digging on John Mcglaughlin. My dad was a ripping Jazz guitarist who lived in Hollywood most of his life and was good friends with Howard Roberts, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, a very young Wolf Marshall- and the likes. I know that means nothing but I can appreiciate a more sophisticated artist.

• Members

Originally posted by light years

ugly steeple fear:"but some of it is pretty memorable stuff from a time where there wasn't too much memorable stuff coming out".

yeah like sonic youth or husker du or minute men or uh, nirvana or the jesus and marychain or my bloody valentine. yeah, none of those were memorable.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, bra, but I grew up in the 80's. It kind of sucked, culturally.

Some good things going on in the underground that have had profound effects, for sure. But isn't this always the case with any year?

• Members

Originally posted by zhivago

I never understood what the point of these threads is...
:confused:

does anyone really care if I like band A or band B??

different strokes for different folks...we're all different...it's all good.

:cool:

True. But its fun to watch all of these little battles break out an people get all riled out about nothing. Chances are that someone here is going to despise a band you worship.

• Members

Originally posted by ugly steeple fear

True. But its fun to watch all of these little battles break out an people get all riled out about nothing. Chances are that someone here is going to despise a band you worship.

good points there :)

Archived