volume pedals for lapsteel

ArrMatey

• Members

I was wondering which volume pedal would work the best for lapsteel to get a really smooth transition easily.

I know the ernie ball volume pedal is quite good for being a passive volume pedal but is there any other pedal a bit less costy who do the same good job for lapsteel? Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

I think the general idea on this forum is that ernie ball is at the bottom of the price range. At least that's what I seem to understand.

+1.

The EB is the cheap solution (there are cheaper, but they aren't eveyr good).

Goodrich and Sho Bud after that, but they will run at least twice the EB price.

My Gibson Royaltone has the volume knob where I can work it with by pinkie while playing.

-Y.

• Members

Didn't Guitar Player magazine do a volume pedal shoot out an issue or two back? I didn't realize Nels Cline used the DOD FX val/wah. I haven't been too close to his pedalboard recently (or double checked his site) but I know when I first saw him in '02 or '03 playing with Carla Bouzich's group, he did a lot with the lap steel (much more than he does with Wilco) and wasn't using a DOD. He was using one of the honking things that pedal steel people use - Goodrich or Hilton or Sho Bud or something like that. All stuff in the above $100 range. Perhaps you get what you pay for, but I've been real happy with my Ernie Ball, and it definately has been a bump above the Dunlop I used to use.

Ian

• Members

Originally posted by ianshaw

Didn't Guitar Player magazine do a volume pedal shoot out an issue or two back? I didn't realize Nels Cline used the DOD FX val/wah. I haven't been too close to his pedalboard recently (or double checked his site) but I know when I first saw him in '02 or '03 playing with Carla Bouzich's group, he did a lot with the lap steel (much more than he does with Wilco) and wasn't using a DOD. He was using one of the honking things that pedal steel people use - Goodrich or Hilton or Sho Bud or something like that. All stuff in the above $100 range. Perhaps you get what you pay for, but I've been real happy with my Ernie Ball, and it definately has been a bump above the Dunlop I used to use.

Ian

I also saw Nels with Carla Bozulich's band Red Headed Stranger. At the time his regular volume pedal broke. So he was using a DOD. He may be using something else now.

I use the DOD FX17 Wah/Volume when I play lap steel and it does the job. Nels was the first person besides me that I saw use one. He told me he liked it.

• Members

Just checked the pedal info on Nels' homepage

http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html

he's still listing the Ernie Ball as his volume pedal of choice. Doesn't mean that the DOD also doesn't see rotation too (I'm sure it does - Nels sounds like someone whos always tweaking). Where did you get the chance to meet / visit?

I think that when you're on a budget, most anything would do OK for the original posters needs. Little made nowadays is absolute junk IMHO. A nice thing about the DOD is that it will give you wah and volume (my old Dunlop did the same). Takes up a lot less pedalboard space. If I ever get around to putting together a tiny jam board (my main one is ostentatious big for small get togethers) I'd be putting either my Dunlop back on, or checking out something like the DOD wah/vol pedal.

Ian

Archived