Shots halt hurricane evacuation

Lanefair

• Members

On the news this morning they said that at first it was reported that there were shots in the dome, then it was reported shots were actually fired at the chopper. They said they weren't sure at that time. Seems weird. Also seems a bit strange that there are that many people there and no one was able to see what was going on.

I'm fearing some bad {censored} is going to go down around there at the dome. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

On the news this morning they said that at first it was reported that there were shots in the dome, then it was reported shots were actually fired at the chopper. They said they weren't sure at that time. Seems weird. Also seems a bit strange that there are that many people there and no one was able to see what was going on.

I'm fearing some bad {censored} is going to go down around there at the dome.
:(

yeah same here.. this is turning out to be one of the ugliest displays of what people can reduce themselves to. just takes a little push, we're like those friendly overfed bears at the zoo until the food and water runs out...

• Members

http://mgno.com/

A livejournal blog and webcam feed from inside NO, from a datacenter that has somehow managed to keep going with their big generator and scrounging diesel fuel.

The reports he has from the police officer he is sheltering and the things he is seeing are wild. Police quitting in droves, police looting, no communication at all, people shooting at the rescuers because they aren't being helped, etc. Lord of the Flies type stuff it sounds like.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

Are people drinking the floodwater or something?!?

maybe - but you can chalk this up to people who are pissed off, scared, wet, and hungry.

there's going to be more to follow.

do all you can to send aid to LA - we have to try and keep things together down there. I don't want one of my favorite cities to turn into an urban war zone.

• Members

Sounds like a slight tear in the thin veil of secular society that keeps people from being savages has revealed what lies beneath the scratched surface ... the movies don't exaggerate afterall. I'm not surprised, history tells the story over and over again.

This is nice ...

Looting: The police are looting. This has been confirmed by several independent sources. Some of the looting might be "legitimate" in as much as that word has any meaning in this context. They have broken into ATMs and safes: confirmed. We have eyewitnesses to this. They have taken dozens of SUVs from dealerships ostensibly for official use. They have also looted gun stores and pawn shops for all the small arms, supposedly to prevent "criminals" from doing so. But who knows their true intentions. We have an inside source in the NOPD who says that command and control is in chaos. He reports that command lapses more than 24 hours between check-ins, and that most of the force are "like deer in the headlights." NOPD already had a reputation for corruption, but I am telling you now that the people we've been talking to say they are not recognizing the NOPD as a legitimate authority anymore, since cops have been seen looting in Walmarts and forcing people out of stores so they could back up SUVs and loot them. Don't shoot the messenger....

• Members

From what I've gathered the guy is ex-military, now director of something or other disaster recovery related for this company (www.directnic.com). I get that from these quotes

Ok, it's a good thing I went to field sanitation school in the Army (before I was Special Forces). I've had to implement guidelines for water rationing and hygiene. We're gonna be fine.

and

Oh, for the record, I'm not a sys admin. I'm the company's crisis manager, and with a company like Directnic.com, my services are rarely needed. I bring a military perspective to the operation.

• Members

Originally posted by djwa

From what I've gathered the guy is ex-military, now director of something or other disaster recovery related for this company (
www.directnic.com
). I get that from these quotes

and

Bizzare ... so he's like some kind of crisis security guy sent to secure his companies building amidst the drama?

Private security for a building then.

• Members

Probably more in charge of disaster recovery operations for the company should anything go wrong. The company appears to house large amounts of data on large servers for other people/companies.

That is something you need to have very particular and precise planning around in case of emergencies, because you are most likely guaranteeing spectacular system uptime for the people whose data you're holding. Almost military like, in fact most DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan) operations I've seen hold mock exercises once a year or so to test everything out, just like the armed forces do.

So in this case, he's probably in charge of making sure everything keeps running, or that it can be failed over safely to some other center that is out of a disaster area. Here, that appears to extend to making sure the armed mobs don't try to rob them. I saw earlier on CNN reports of ambuilances being tipped over, and medical staff being robbed when they stepped outside the hospital for a smoke.

Also, if you read back a bit, he and the CEO have been best friends since the 1st grade :), so it could have been as much that as the military background.

• Members

Incredible stuff really ... I've been sifting through allot of the guff and missed a few things here and there so thanks for the fill in. Have you managed to check out the live feed ... I've got it running on Media Player ... looks like allot of people starting to move through the streets which I think the guy was saying was more people evacuating across the bridges.

• Members

you know, a lot of people have this vision of what society will do in the case of a disaster, and mass food shortages, disease, whatever. Everyone pulls together, and sings a song, and eats dandylions.

Well, all i can say that might work for a few days, but I'm really worried about the people stuck in that dome... its a lot of people in one small place. Tensions, and chaos will rise.

i think people have an animal instict to want to be arround their own species, but at the same time want their own space (or teritory)

• Members

Read the latest update ... I got my first real sick in the gut feeling out of this one ...

t's raining now and I guess that's a relief from the heat. It's hot as hell down there in the sun.
Crime is absolutely rampant: rapes, murders, rape-murder combinations.

... and.

In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost.

• Members

Just now reading some stuff off the wires ... this is sickening stuff people! I can't even imagine something like this happening in Australia ... there is no way an entire city of people would be adandoned like this!!!! :eek::(

I mean a nation like the U.S with those incredible resources and wealth and New Orleans is just being left to rot like that ... I'm beyond speechless. Isn't anybody outside New Orleans in normal America freaking the hell out for these people and insisting something be done immediately?

People need immediate evacuation ... remaining down there is tantamount to mob rule.

• Members

Just incase no-one can reach the page here is the latest from this guys blog!

Thursday, September 1st, 2005

11:50 am

Update

My first tactical mistake. We were unprepared to accept the fuel when it arrived. The fuel arrived way too soon for us and we did not have all the empty drums down one ground floor when they got here. The driver had other deliveries to make, so rather than waste his time, I told him we'd recoordinate and be ready for him later today or tomorrow.

That's the bad news. Here's the worse news:

All of our providers are dropping. We're down to one. We have enough fuel to keep us powered for a long time, but we could lose internet access soon if our last provider drops.

So I guess what I'm saying is that any moment could be my last moment online. If we do lose internet, Outpost Crystal might have to be abandoned by all but Sig and Myself. I've got to get Crystal out of here safely and relocated to someplace out of this state. I'm working on escape routes now.

Calling any and all Intercosmos and Directnic employees. We need you to contact Donnie in email and on ICQ ASAP.

Situtation is critical.

I'm not leaving, so stop asking. I'm staying. I am staying until this {censored}storm has blown itself out. Period. End of discussion.

Now for some updates:

1. Been too busy to debrief the police officer, so that will come later. Low priority now.

2. Buses loading people up on Camp Street to take refugees to Dallas, or so the word on the street (literally) is.

3. Dead bodies everywhere: convention center, down camp street, all over.

4. National Guard shoving water off the backs of trucks. They're just pushing it off without stopping, people don't even know it's there at first -- they drop it on the side in debris, there's no sign or distribution point -- people are scared to go near it at first, because the drop points are guarded by troops or federal agents with assault rifles who don't let people come near them, which scares people off. It is a mess. When people actually get to the water, they are in such a rush to get it that one family left their small child behind and forget about him until Sig carried him back to the family.

5. Lots of pics coming soon when Sig has time to update.

It's raining now and I guess that's a relief from the heat. It's hot as hell down there in the sun. Crime is absolutely rampant: rapes, murders, rape-murder combinations.

I have really cut back answering IMs. Not enough time. I apologize people.

In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost.

Doing what we can, this is Outpost Crystal getting back to work.

We've got a prayer!

Huge convoy of fuel and generator engineer types affiliated with Bell South just moved down the street toward their building. That's where 2 of our OC3s that went down are at Bell's main.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Just now reading some stuff off the wires ... this is sickening stuff people! I can't even imagine something like this happening in Australia ... there is no way an entire city of people would be adandoned like this!!!!
:eek::(

I mean a nation like the U.S with those incredible resources and wealth and New Orleans is just being left to rot like that ... I'm beyond speechless. Isn't anybody outside New Orleans in normal America freaking the hell out for these people and insisting something be done immediately?

People need immediate evacuation ... remaining down there is tantamount to mob rule.

One reason that there's not much help yet is because a large percentage of the LA, TX and MS national guard is already deployed in Iraq.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

One reason that there's not much help yet is because a large percentage of the LA, TX and MS national guard is already deployed in Iraq.

Fair enough but still ... just get every volunteer from the fire bridages of other cities ... anybody, ex army, anyone.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

i tried to link up, but the page is dead for me.

are you getting it on refresh? dead link for me.

Yeah, it's dead for me too now ... but I have the old page in cache. I still have the last web feed on my media player too. Read back on the last page as I posted the guys last update. I can cut and paste the other updates from before also if you want ... the guys in the thick of it.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Fair enough but still ... just get every volunteer from the fire bridages of other cities ... anybody, ex army, anyone.

yeah - i remember hearing about similar situations in CA and MT earlier in the summer - the governors and fire marshalls complaining to the feds about how they've tapped their Nat'l Guard resources and are leaving the states dangerously prone to brush fire disasters and things of this nature.

since my sister is in San Diego, i kept up with her on how things were - but aside from a few smaller ones, the summer's been relatively mild.

and now THIS - which is illustrating the state government's concerns all too clearly.

what a mess.

Archived